British Speedway Forum

So says the man who, in all probability, won't have to move his racenight. That being said, he's right! Still waiting to see if the new 3 year deal Van Straaten has signed with Ladbrokes takes into account what Chapman's on about. I'm not holding my breathe.

I agree that having a fixed race night(s) MIGHT tempt a few top riders back to the UK, but am not convinced that would increase attendances to any great degree.

I'm sure we all have things we do in life and are committed to on non speedway nights, as we know them at our respective clubs, which would it make virtually impossible to change.

I personally organise and run other social activities on the nights my club doesn't race, and if that long established race night was changed to another on a regular basis, that would be me lost to the sport, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.

On the other side of the coin of course, a different race night to that they currently have, might suit some better. So I'm sure at the end of the day, it would be a swings and roundabouts situation with to any increase in attendances levels.

It might be reasonable to pick a couple of race nights and insist it's a condition of racing in the Elite League, but I can't see this is workable at Premier League level.

• Like 1

It might be reasonable to pick a couple of race nights and insist it's a condition of racing in the Elite League, but I can't see this is workable at Premier League level.

monday, wednesday and non GP Fridays? The issue surely being not so much the non fixed race night, but the haphazard sceduling?

EL Teams to have a proper schedule, one meeting per week with a handful of weeks reserved for postponed matches. EL to release fixture list, and have priority over PL for double up riders on those nights.

Mondays won't attract many riders riding in Poland and Sweden.

Reckon Wed - Fri are the best options.

• Like 1

Agreed, I think that's all that's needed, it would make things easier for overseas riders and double-up riders alike.

monday, wednesday and non GP Fridays? The issue surely being not so much the non fixed race night, but the haphazard sceduling?

I'd have thought the race days need to be adjacent to each other, and certainly not Mondays and Wednesdays as riders would need to travel off to Sweden in-between. Realistically only Wednesday and Thursdays would work for the Elite League.

The haphazard scheduling is obviously not ideal, but is a matter of trying to fit a given number of matches into a fewer number of available weeks, made more complicated by GPs and all sorts of other events that seem to take priority these days.

Mondays won't attract many riders riding in Poland and Sweden.

Reckon Wed - Fri are the best options.

The sensible nights would be Wednesday/Thursday, 50% less flights for a start, PL could then ride any other nights and missing double uppers wouldn't be a problem for either league.

It's probably for the best if the sport makes this change, if only to finally lay the myth that it's going to be the sport's saviour in Britain.

I hope enough tracks survive until the time when it's abandoned.

Yes, restricting the times the few remaining fans can see the sport - brilliant thinking!

The sensible nights would be Wednesday/Thursday, 50% less flights for a start, PL could then ride any other nights and missing double uppers wouldn't be a problem for either league.

I concur BCD - it would be the most sensible at face value, but in a recent edition of S/Star, Fridays was mentioned as a possibility.

Don't matter what day of week it is unless promoters do their jobs and promote, also need to work alongside the referee to keep meetings moving so we are not stood around like idiots.

• Like 4

It's probably for the best if the sport makes this change, if only to finally lay the myth that it's going to be the sport's saviour in Britain.

I hope enough tracks survive until the time when it's abandoned.

Yes, restricting the times the few remaining fans can see the sport - brilliant thinking!

You're so far out of touch with reality it is staggering.

These changes will be massively beneficial for a number of reasons.

Firstly it will allow some of the top boys to return if they wish.

Secondly and more importantly at this stage it is imperative that the EL fixtures are run on different nights to the PL. Then GONE are many of the problems of continuity. You will no longer be missing 2,3 riders from a team because they riding for a PL team or vice versa. The only time a rider should be absent is when injured or the odd international meet. That will improve things one hell of a lot and give the sport a lot more credibility.

If however they make this change and you end up with the EL and PL still running on the same night then its an utter waste of time.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3