British Speedway Forum
Paul Johnson

Scunthorpe Scorpions 2016?

Club want to know what supporters would like to see at the EWR in 2016.

Heres a few things..

Team race suits so we look like a team.

Team shirts based on the race suit for fans to buy.

Food Themed race nights in better weather BBQ night; Curry night; Pizza night?

Free beer or soft drink ?

Themed music 60s night 70s, 80s etc..

Give aways say; flags ? stickers

Meetings filmed to assist ref with decisions and available to fans to buy

Starting gate based on the one at Sheffield complete with coloured lighting rig

Start grid girls ?

Improved seating on home straight; consider cover ? and additional lighting ?

When Glanford Park closes can we blag some of the fixs & fittings ?

Always hand the chequred flag to the winning Scorpion for his lap of honour.

When we win the riders walk into the crowd to take the applause.

Be the No8 Scorpion ! . Get on the team buy a photo of yourself with the team ! Proceeds to Sting Fund.

Could we stage the Scunthorpe Individual Championship; to find the master of the EWR ? Would be a nice variation from regular team racing as one off.

Admission concessions buy 4 get one free.

Discount on the gate admission if you support the team away (negotiated with home team) and vice versa away fans visiting Scunny ?

Just one or two things off the top of my head as I type.

I couldn't really care about any of this.

What I would like to see at EWR in 2016 is pretty much what I saw in 2015 - cracking racing, good presentation and as little delay as possible.

• Like 9

I couldn't really care about any of this.

What I would like to see at EWR in 2016 is pretty much what I saw in 2015 - cracking racing, good presentation and as little delay as possible.

Perfectly fair comment; I am with on that too; but tasked to come up with something; then you do I suppose; and folk can take it or leave it.

Josh Bailey confirmed in Speedway Star.

One thing I would say is that he did suddenly hit a purple patch for Kings Lynn Young Stars in the NL last season. But for me I dont expect from him then anything he comes up with is a bonus really. Throws the emphasis on our No6 to win the reserves races. If you look back at NL meetings once JB hit form last season he has beaten sone of the other draft NL riders including Ellis Perks; MattyO and Wajknecht so JB may be a grower. Remember Josh Bates arrived at Scunny as a real NL prospect and was quickly found out and dropped. I dont think that the 3pt rider can be replaced unless for injury this season. I wish Josh Bailey all the best with it; but it is going to be tough for him at this level.

It's tough for them all even Matt w only averages about 1.5 around scunny hope Josh can get 1or 2 at home anything away is a bonus

It's tough for them all even Matt w only averages about 1.5 around scunny hope Josh can get 1or 2 at home anything away is a bonus

Agree, if any of the No.7s average above 3 this season they will have done well. PL racing is a big step up from NL.
  • Like 1

Hmm I wonder if Rob has picked an NL rider with talent but a year too early again. Perks, Williamson & Bates all spring to mind in that category.

Scunny have a history of blooding riders like this think .this year it's not so much of an issue as there are 12 other similar quality riders out there so he ain't going to come up against an opposing pair of 5 pointers at reserve as has happened in the past

Edited by phillwhitewasmad
  • Like 1

Hmm I wonder if Rob has picked an NL rider with talent but a year too early again. Perks, Williamson & Bates all spring to mind in that category.

I thought that was the idea of these 3 pointers

Josh and riders like him are the type of riders that need to be in the PL

One thing I would say is that he did suddenly hit a purple patch for Kings Lynn Young Stars in the NL last season. But for me I dont expect from him then anything he comes up with is a bonus really. Throws the emphasis on our No6 to win the reserves races. If you look back at NL meetings once JB hit form last season he has beaten sone of the other draft NL riders including Ellis Perks; MattyO and Wajknecht so JB may be a grower. Remember Josh Bates arrived at Scunny as a real NL prospect and was quickly found out and dropped. I dont think that the 3pt rider can be replaced unless for injury this season. I wish Josh Bailey all the best with it; but it is going to be tough for him at this level.

I suspect there might be a couple that 'step down' if they find themselves struggling. That said I don't think Josh will be one of them providing he can cope with the amount of meetings and retain the engines he had for the latter part of the season.

Perfectly fair comment; I am with on that too; but tasked to come up with something; then you do I suppose; and folk can take it or leave it.

I certainly didn't intend to be critical or insulting.

The thing is though that as far as I am concerned speedway needs to get the basics right first and then move on from there, and most fans refer to the quality of the racing, the presentation and lack of delay as three things the sport simply must ensure are as good as they can be.

No- other track across the sport comes as close to that as Scunthorpe.

• Like 1

Could we have a 10 min interval? once im in my place i stay there so i dont miss a race ,a couple in our group will go and fetch food or drink but its not really fair on them, just thought with us starting an hour earlier there isnt really that need to get finished, especially as there wont be stocks the next day

I am probably reading too much into this but in the Speedway Star Rob Godfrey says the signing of Josh Bailey was in the "true spirit" of the rule. The cynic in me (it is speedway after all) thinks that he was having a pop at somebody with that comment. Any ideas who he was referring to? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I am probably reading too much into this but in the Speedway Star Rob Godfrey says the signing of Josh Bailey was in the "true spirit" of the rule. The cynic in me (it is speedway after all) thinks that he was having a pop at somebody with that comment. Any ideas who he was referring to? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Probably a side swipe at the clubs who have select riders who have Premier League experience.

Berwick; Liam Carr

Plymouth; Ellis Perks

Rye House; Ben Morley

Peterborough; Tom Perry

Sheffield; Nathan Greaves

Workington; Matt Williamson.

Probably a side swipe at the clubs who have select riders who have Premier League experience.

Berwick; Liam Carr

Plymouth; Ellis Perks

Rye House; Ben Morley

Peterborough; Tom Perry

Sheffield; Nathan Greaves

Workington; Matt Williamson.

Lets face it none of them have been outstanding in PL.