British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mark

2016 Euro's - Live On Tv

Why do they spell Toliatti with a g in in? There is no g in the Russian name, not even the sound of a "g".

Because the city was named after an Italian,Palmiro Togliatti

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmiro_Togliatti

There are always variations when translating Russian to English,German,Swedish etc.Seems only reasonable to translate the name back to the original,even if others translate it to alternatives

Edited by iris123

Why do they spell Toliatti with a g in in? There is no g in the Russian name, not even the sound of a "g".

It is called transcription and is used when transcribing names/words between different alphabets. You don't translate "by letter" but by the way the name sounds.

Like Emil S, in English it is Emil Sayfutdinov but in Swedish his name is spelled Emil Sajfutdinov. It is the same with the Laguta brothers.

In English Artem and Grigory, in Swedish Artiom and Grigorij.

It is called transcription and is used when transcribing names/words between different alphabets. You don't translate "by letter" but by the way the name sounds.

Like Emil S, in English it is Emil Sayfutdinov but in Swedish his name is spelled Emil Sajfutdinov. It is the same with the Laguta brothers.

In English Artem and Grigory, in Swedish Artiom and Grigorij.

And of course there are enough examples in the english language where a letter is silent, like the g in Togliatti.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_letter

Haven't seen result yet with final yet to watch, meeting TiVo'ed.

Another great meeting racing wise, why can't the GP's be this entertaining.

Pedersen bailed with space to spare when Milik overtook him then hit the tapes in the rerun. Almost poetic justice.

Just glad Sayfutdinov hasn't amassed a silly amount of points so the Rybnik event still matters.

Should be a fantastic final event, so close. Shame BSPA don't allow Lambert to be involved.

For me the racing has been every bit as good as the Grand Prix (the meeting in Daugavpils was as good as I've seen in a long time). I also like the SEC because it gives me a chance to see riders e.g. Laguta, Milik, Vaculik, Madsen who I would otherwise not see. It also goes to different venues each year, variations on the same old GP venues.

It would be great to see British riders involved in this, as well s the Pairs events Onesport organises. It would give these riders a great experience of riding abroad, preparation should they ever reach the GP or World Cup.

• Like 1

Another great meeting from the SEC - surely it would be a great boost for Russia and speedway generally to hold a GP at this venue.

Despite the admittedly amusing bit of sarcasm from Hans Anderson about his wrong helmet colour, it is absolutely correct that he was excluded.

Helmet colours have become a bit of a thing with me.

Because of the protruding peak of modern helmets, the cover often doesn't cover anything like the whole helmet usually leaving two colours on display to confuse first time watchers along with everything else that is likely to confuse them.

Head on shots frequently showed two riders apparently wearing red helmets for example.

This is one of the many examples in which speedway fallen into slovenly ways in my opinion.

• Like 1

Milik is starting to show his true potential IMO

I enjoy watching Milik, doing well these days.... shows how competition can bring on a prospect.

Same with Leo Madson, caught mu eye a few years ago as a wild card for a GP - now you could see him in the GPs full time.... and flourish hopefully.

and the last two SEC rounds, both won by Greg Laguta.... great stuff.

Rybnik Final 4

Wildcard: Kacper WORYNA

Reserve 1: Robert CHMIEL
Reserve 2: Dominik KUBERA

Anyone know if Rybnik is one of the less exciting tracks. Only seen one meeting from there and not much happened.

Anyone know if Rybnik is one of the less exciting tracks. Only seen one meeting from there and not much happened.

No Rybnik is usually pretty decent race track at least in those matches that i have seen.

In my humble opinion the best Polish speedway tracks when it come to excitement in no particular order

Opole,Grudziadz,Bydgoszcz,Zielona Gora,Czestochowa,Gorzow,Ostrow Wlkp ,Rawicz.

Edited by pawel115

...or in the German language like the W in Gustrow or Teterow, but not in Gorbatschow :shock:

Yes that is in the Slavic east.North of Hamburg we have the old Danish influence in the names,which means the 'y' is pronounced 'ue',which confused me at first :D

Brodersbü instead of Brodersby for instance.Or Rieseby,Nieby,Husby.....

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodersby_(Angeln)

No Rybnik is usually pretty decent race track at least in those matches that i have seen.

In my humble opinion the best Polish speedway tracks when it come to excitement in no particular order

Opole,Grudziadz,Bydgoszcz,Zielona Gora,Czestochowa,Gorzow,Ostrow Wlkp ,Rawicz.

I might be wrong but lately it seems like that every team trying to get advantage by making their own track a one line gaters paradise especially in the ekstraleague.