British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Live Bands At Speedway Meetings

Motorhead (along with fellow metallers Saxon and Angelwitch)did a festival at Hackney Stadium in the early 80s.

• Like 1

Beatles tribute band played at Slaski Stadium European GP circa 2003/4. Very good too.

Unfortunately, if I recall, there was a problem with the noise that was generated at Wiggy's Final Bash and I believe a curfew was put in place as regards Cowley holding meetings on a Sunday in future? I can't remember the specifics (leave that to you Rob) but I remember that Steve Purchase (then Oxford Promoter) having some issues with the noise.

Steve, I think there was only person complaining, who died of old age. By 2005, we had a Craven Shield Final / EL double-header (33 races) finished at around 10.45pm, followed by fireworks.

All the best

Rob

David Walsh used to hang around with, possibly even roadie for, The Pastels. I know the lead singer and a couple of the band used to regulars at Shawfield. They had a song called Speedway but I can't recall how it went.

They still pop into Ashfield. :t::cheers:

• Like 1

macca56, on 12 Jan 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

Dave, there was a song titled 'Speedway Star' on the 'B; side of The Pastels single 'Speeding Motorcycle' which was released in 1991 and both tracks can be found on their 'Truckload of Trouble' compilation album released in 1994. Also on the 'B' side of the single was a track titled '4th Bend'.

Both tracks can be found on youtube if you want to remember how they sounded, with 'Speedway Star' being linked to a video of Indycar racing, strangely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_t7Sgogv0

Aye that's the song. I got a tape of their stuff back in the day but wasn't keen on any of it.

steve roberts, on 12 Jan 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Hawkwind performed at a meeting at White City in 1976. Acker Bilk became a 'sleeping' partner at Oxford in 1972 (another Dave Lanning publicity stunt?) and it was hoped that his 'Jazzmen' would perform, occasionally, after meetings in the clubhouse.

Hawkwind used to boast they would play anywhere, anytime, for free. I can see how that offer would seem attractive to speedway promoters. A couple of original band members were speedway fans but they were gone by 76. Jazz and speedway, what an awesome combination...

steve roberts, on 12 Jan 2016 - 1:21 PM, said:

Slightly off thread but does anyone remember John Davis' record that he made some years ago? Or the record that was made by many of the riders (1974) that was entitled 'Speedway'? I had that particular 45 (collectors item now!!) and on the cover was a picture of all the participating riders dressed in their leathers! Also didn't Shawn Moran make a record? I'm cringing at the memories...!

That John Davis record is an aural abomination. It's so bad they must have worked at it. Seriously, if you own this record destroy it with fire. Shawn Moran had an honest bash at Chris Spedding's Motorbikin'. I wonder if the collaboration you mention was The Rivals. I've got a disc with a few of these tracks on, I uploaded a couple to Dropbox and they deleted them under some copyright ruling!

• Like 1

Aye that's the song. I got a tape of their stuff back in the day but wasn't keen on any of it.

Hawkwind used to boast they would play anywhere, anytime, for free. I can see how that offer would seem attractive to speedway promoters. A couple of original band members were speedway fans but they were gone by 76. Jazz and speedway, what an awesome combination...

That John Davis record is an aural abomination. It's so bad they must have worked at it. Seriously, if you own this record destroy it with fire. Shawn Moran had an honest bash at Chris Spedding's Motorbikin'. I wonder if the collaboration you mention was The Rivals. I've got a disc with a few of these tracks on, I uploaded a couple to Dropbox and they deleted them under some copyright ruling!

'The Rivals' rings a bell! I remember reading an interview with John Davis in 'Backtrack' and he was somewhat embarrassed when the article got round to discussing his attempt at becoming a recording artist!

Hawkwind were invited to perform at White City in a hope of increasing speedway awareness at Wood Lane...the promoters also had a belly dancer booked on another occasion...I know which I preferred!

I recall that the group 'Mud' were speedway fans and would attend Wimbledon on a number of occasions. Don't know if they ever performed there however.

Edited by steve roberts

I don't think Mud ever played at Plough Lane.Neither did Alvin Stardust nor thank heavens Sam Fox,though they all made celebrity appearances at the track.At least one of the guys from Mud lived round the corner from me.Me and one of my mates knocked on their door on our way to school to get an autograph,but was told by the lady of the house he wasn't at home :neutral:

Think I am right in saying Marc Bolan lived in the shadow of the stadium.Don't know if he ever went to the speedway though,but he might have bought a record or two from Briggo's old shop....

Edited by iris123

Hawkwind performed at a meeting at White City in 1976. .

Blimey, didn't know that - do you or anyone else know what date/what meeting this was?!

thanx

Motorhead (along with fellow metallers Saxon and Angelwitch)did a festival at Hackney Stadium in the early 80s.

I guess this is more likely to get itself a blue plague or equivalent on the new housing development being built there on the site of the Wick than the exploits of Thommo, Banger, & Plech!?

Blimey, didn't know that - do you or anyone else know what date/what meeting this was?!

thanx

I guess this is more likely to get itself a blue plague or equivalent on the new housing development being built there on the site of the Wick than the exploits of Thommo, Banger, & Plech!?

Unfortunately I no longer have my programmes so don't know the exact date except that it was in 1976!

• Like 1

Didn't Chas n Dave play Cardiff several years ago? Seem to recall Suzi Quattro playing a year or two before/after this. Don't recall much interest from the crowd and, with music tastes often varying considerably, it isn't unexpected that even a well known band could flop in front of a speedway crowd.

• Like 1

Didn't Chas n Dave play Cardiff several years ago? Seem to recall Suzi Quattro playing a year or two before/after this. Don't recall much interest from the crowd and, with music tastes often varying considerably, it isn't unexpected that even a well known band could flop in front of a speedway crowd.

I agree entirely. Musical taste varies considerably and there's always a danger alienating a percentage of people if the music played is much of the same and from a certain era whether it be modern or past. Striking a balance is the important thing (easier said than done!)

thanx

Just reading a White City programme dated 28th April 1976 (vs. Reading) stating that 'Hawkwind' would be appearing that very night!

Didn't bee gees play at Speedway meetings in Auss when they started out?

Didn't bee gees play at Speedway meetings in Auss when they started out?

Didn't one of them "borrow" a bike and put it through the fence?