British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Bspa Fans Forum.

I am going as I believe it is a way forward and should really be looked at as being held in October and March in future and hopefully the fans views will be taken onboard as it appears that all is fine by the promoters in the Elite League while fans have very different view's

I hope those that are attending share the information of what went on.

I am going as I believe it is a way forward and should really be looked at as being held in October and March in future and hopefully the fans views will be taken onboard as it appears that all is fine by the promoters in the Elite League while fans have very different view's

I quite agree it is a good idea listening fans who care about the sport and have opinions that need listening to. Unfortunately, we all know that the non meeting attendees, and the usual suspects, will oppose what is done and said regardless giving promotions good reason to question why bother to listen. What we need is fair mindedness with suggestions and ideas, rather that the usual negativity to try and look big and clever. Possibly attendees to this meeting, before being accepted, should have been asked "are you a usual contributor to the BSF'.

• Like 3

:shock:

Possibly attendees to this meeting, before being accepted, should have been asked "are you a usual contributor to the BSF'.

I find your attitude disappointing and I admit somewhat surprising. You are suggesting that all members are the same so presumably you don't think I should have been admitted had I expressed an interest in attending :shock:

There are members on here who are never going to be satisfied but the majority I would suggest if offered reasonable explanations will accept what they are told, there are others that simply want the sport to provide good entertainment at a reasonable cost.

No organisation ever gets everything right but some things the BSPA do are downright daft to say the least and perplexing if I'm being kind. Green helmet covers anyone :wink:

I find your attitude disappointing and I admit somewhat surprising. You are suggesting that all members are the same so presumably you don't think I should have been admitted had I expressed an interest in attending :shock:

There are members on here who are never going to be satisfied but the majority I would suggest if offered reasonable explanations will accept what they are told, there are others that simply want the sport to provide good entertainment at a reasonable cost.

No organisation ever gets everything right but some things the BSPA do are downright daft to say the least and perplexing if I'm being kind. Green helmet covers anyone :wink:

I quite agree with your sentiments, and I only intended it to be directed at the group of people on the BSF who you could also identify as being 'never going to be satisfied'. By opposing and denegrading everything they add nothing to the BSF or the sport. As you say, fortunately there are greater numbers on here, and who actually attend speedway that have opinions and thoughts which, as you say, deserve to be listened to.

Yes the BSPA do get things wrong at times, but often the ideas are introduced or considered because they may be better for the sport. A typical example is the much maligned 'green helmet' you mention. It may have been laughed off and changed later, but it's introduction, along with proposed live graphics was thought to be a major contribution to accessing the betting market in the Far East, like it does with live graphics at horse racing called "Palm ???". The green helmet was introduced, but unfortunately the technology and matching graphics did not materialised for various reasons.. Of all the things introduced, the graphics and the green helmet would have been the greatest and had major impact on this sports finances. Instead it became a laughter point. Shame.

I sympathise tsunami but often changes are announced with minimal explanation as to the reasons behind the change and no background as to what other options may have been considered?! As for the meeting today (which I did not/could not attend) it was said to be all about greater transparency, which I applaud .

BTW any feedback from the meeting? There are already some on facebook who reckon it wasn't that well attended?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

Any questions & answers to share from those able to attend??

Attendance about 50 fans. Duration over three hours.

Panel: Tony Gillias, Ged Rathbone, Buster Chapman, Rob Godfrey, Martin Widman, Neil Watson

Cleancut were recording so it should go up on the BSPA website (edited I'd imagine)

The @SpeedwayGB Twitter feed is promising "reaction to the forum and coverage of the event in the media over the next few days".

• Like 1

Stupid Suggestion Alert

No doubt various riders,managers and promoters post on this forum already.

Maybe the BSPA could set up a forum membership so questions could be asked and answered on a weekly basis or after management committee meetings . Stupid,rude etc questions to be deleted by the mods.

I attended the meeting with the panel being the SCB Chairman, Tony Villas, GED Rathbone Peterborough, Buster Chapman Kings Lynn and Chairman, Rob Godfrey Scunthorpe and Vice Chairman, Martin Wilding Isle of Wight and Neil Watson Coventry.

First issue was on safety and the things being done like fences, engines etc. They are very keen on getting standardised equipment but this can only be done with the cooperation of other countries especially Denmark, Sweden and Poland.

This in my opinion will never come through as you won't get them all to agree and without them all in riders would have to have different bikes to ride elsewhere which only increases costs. Also the plan is for these engines only to be tuned by three set tuners and I can't see all those engines being done by just three people. Plus there are so many tuners being used, they won't all want to drop them.

One race night was discussed and Buster agrees it is the only way forward for the Elite League which at present isn't a real Elite League in his opinion.

Questions were asked about track preparation, rain offs, the number 8 and 9 roles which some tracks won't use like Kings Lynn. This was to try and introduce new riders to the league but as it was pointed out, why can't clubs just use a rider of their choice from the Premier League like Ben Barker instead of using an untried foreigner.

It was said that the SCB oversee all matters but as it was pointed out from the floor the Bspa set their own rules and having the Elite League in one room and the Premier League in another isn't helping as people are voting what is good for them rather than the sport in general.

In my opinion these matters voted on at the AGM should be put to the SCB and an independent board to agree them or refuse them but as it is, it is like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Talk of Team GB was approached and they said how good the youth policy is going and so many are coming through. Rob Godfrey believes they have a great chance of winning the SWC ...... Maybe Poland, Australia and Denmark are being blocked from entering !!

Overall it was a good day and not so cloak and dagger now that it is no longer a Dad's Army type board and hopefully more will attend the next one as only 41 were there at the start and I was the first one there at 12.30, just thirty minutes before the start. A few more turned up but at most there was about 50 and loads of empty seats.

• Like 1