British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Speedway's Equivalent To War & Peace!§

If you don't normally purchase the Speedway Star DO try and get hold of this week's edition and I feel sure you won't be disappointed because it's superb!

The 128 page season preview is speedway's equivalent of War and Peace and most certainly you'll need a fair while to read it from cover to cover.

Whilst accepting that on all subjects there could be and indeed should be constructive criticism and fully fledged gripes when any situation demands that there be so, I hope we won't get too many posts on this thread moaning about it for the sake of moaning which to me has appeared to have become more prevalent on many threads on the BSF and other forums.

Yes there are going to be the odd mistake within this week's 128 pager but not that many I'll wager although I would point out that the Adult admission price to IOW Wightlink Warriors' home meeting will be £11 and not £13 as shown accepting that it could have been me pressing the wrong key on my keyboard that led to the error! ;)

Right, better get back to reading! :)

Bryn

• Like 2

Yes agree fully.

My favourite read of the year.

Just starting the long read now. :lol:

• Like 1

Already popped into town on my lunch to buy a copy. Should keep me busy over the next week trying to give it a read.

The bumper edition is always an excellent one, and so far this is no different. Could be quite a poignant edition if Plymouth`s rescue plans don`t come to anything.

• Like 1

Would be helpful if they could mention disabled access/facilities in the stadium info.

Always a great read

I love Jon Cooks appraisal as to where he thinks Lakeside will finish - 1st

PMSL

• Like 2

Always a great read

I love Jon Cooks appraisal as to where he thinks Lakeside will finish - 1st

PMSL

was that 1st from bottom

• Like 1

Totally agree that this weeks edition is superb. with coverage of all leagues not just EL, PL and NL. MDL and NJL and all the major teams abroad, what else would people want. Top notch magazine at a great price.

If only Pinegen did tracks. :D

• Like 4

Would like to see equal treatment for NL Clubs.

It seems it all part of the policy in Britain to hold the NL back - let's call it a development league and not just the National League or Division 3; let's give them less space than the EL and PL in the Speedway Star.

If it went on attendances, Plymouth would not get 2 pages, for example.

NL is the poor relation but is the future of British speedway.

Sorry to moan Bryn, but facts is facts

Tried my local Tesco Extra this afternoon but they still had 2 copies of last weeks edition on the shelf and not this weeks.

Will try again tomorrow.

It seems it all part of the policy in Britain to hold the NL back - let's call it a development league and not just the National League or Division 3; let's give them less space than the EL and PL in the Speedway Star.

fully get your point, BUT, if you read all/any of the daily newspapers, you wont find national league footy amongst it,idid think

the NL coverage today was quite good imo

Sorry but it seems perfectly reasonable to me. You wouldn't expect Accrington Stanley to get the same coverage as Manchester United in the sports pages.

I really can't see any evidence that the Star is implementing a policy to 'hold the NL back'.

Now you might well question the 'no assets rule' for NL clubs and the BSPAs motives but that bears no relation to the make up of Speedway Star.

• Like 1

I respect your point of view and no problem accepting that you feel the way you do Richard.

In terms of the National League being THE future of British speedway, isn't it one important rung on the ladder for British youngsters/talent wanting to make racing speedway their career as they progress from the very bottom that basically starts with 'Have a go yourself' type events on training tracks, supervised training school sessions and then competing in the excellent British Youth Championship. From there, as they continue to progress and when old enough, they would be eased into the Midland Development League or similar (I believe I'm right in saying the Northern Development League is likely to operate in 2016). As they continue to make progress and again are ready to do so. they step further up the ladder riding in the National League when they and then the PL, EL, under 21 Champs etc etc as they chase their dream of following in Tai Woffinden's footsteps and become the next top Brit. That's they way I see it, it'll take time but (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) with Junior grasstrack meetings cut to the bone compared to the past, riding speedway could well be the way more youngsters will choose - I certainly hope it is!

Edited by Bryn

Only had a quick flick through my copy but would hazard a guess that one of the fans is a Barista and not a Barrister.

• Like 2