British Speedway Forum
remembertheracers

Alarmingly Low Crowds

The 'free'/£10 meetings should be the 'loss leader' for the many who don't know what the sport is or have drifted away...

When they are there that is the time to get mobile numbers, email addresses, give away car stickers, face painting/photos with riders for the kids etc etc to target their return...

Unfortunately, it seems very little pro active marketing is done at these events and I would suggest circa £18 entrance fees won't entice too many back....

So why is admission so high for a tiny minority sport?

An example is my club who allegedly pay £3k to a rider which means a £6k bill for both the home and away meetings against any team....

I would suggest that their crowds over the past three years have been around 1000 paying adults a week with an average admission of £17...

Not paying just that one rider would mean they could cut admission by £6 and still maintain their income/outgoing ratio...

I would suggest an £11 admission would attract more of the 'ex fans', occasional fans and potential newbies than £17...?

An increase of just a couple of hundred a week would put £40k or so into the business over a season...

Maybe six man teams with the high earners going for a while until Speedway sorts itself out is the short term solution to facilitate a longer term strategy?

Giving the Promoters less costs to invest more in the local and national marketing..?

As many have said ad nauseam on here, the best meetings we remember were the ones where a big crowd generated the atmosphere. The racing at these events then take on a mythology all of its own regardless of whether it was actually any good or not...

Speedway somehow needs to find that price point that generates that crowd level that will deliver that atmosphere consistently...

Currently it seems a long way off and sadly, if the last ten to fifteen years or so are a barometer, devoid of ideas in how to do it....

good point, i go for a meal / cruise/ etc, i then get bombarded with emails from them!!

The 'free'/£10 meetings should be the 'loss leader' for the many who don't know what the sport is or have drifted away...

When they are there that is the time to get mobile numbers, email addresses, give away car stickers, face painting/photos with riders for the kids etc etc to target their return...

Unfortunately, it seems very little pro active marketing is done at these events and I would suggest circa £18 entrance fees won't entice too many back....

An example is my club who allegedly pay £3k to a rider which means a £6k bill for both the home and away meetings against any team....

I would suggest that their crowds over the past three years have been around 1000 paying adults a week with an average admission of £17...

Not paying just that one rider would mean they could cut admission by £6 and still maintain their income/outgoing ratio...

I would suggest an £11 admission would attract more of the 'ex fans', occasional fans and potential newbies than £17...?

An increase of just a couple of hundred a week would put £40k or so into the business over a season...

Maybe six man teams with the high earners going for a while until Speedway sorts itself out is the short term solution to facilitate a longer term strategy?

Giving the Promoters less costs to invest more in the local and national marketing..?

As many have said ad nauseam on here, the best meetings we remember were the ones where a big crowd generated the atmosphere. The racing at these events then take on a mythology all of its own regardless of whether it was actually any good or not...

Speedway somehow needs to find that price point that generates that crowd level that will deliver that atmosphere consistently...

Currently it seems a long way off and sadly, if the last ten to fifteen years or so are a barometer, devoid of ideas in how to do it....

This is among the most constructive Posts I have seen on the BSF mikebv. It should stimulate some excellent debate.

G

I agree with a lot of your points but for me sadly the sport is just in to much of mess to be taken seriously as a National competition nowadays and is just 4guys doing 4 laps and a lot of fans just take it or leave,if somethings else pops up.Personaly a few years ago my social life revolved round the sport not now though.Its just not credible to me . Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

Big crowd at Wolves tonight.

Big crowd at Wolves tonight.

And a very happy one for some odd reason.....

A "BIG" crowd at wolves is misleading, they are all crammed into the very short start/finish straight.. That area looks rammed with 500 in it....

• Like 1

A "BIG" crowd at wolves is misleading, they are all crammed into the very short start/finish straight.. That area looks rammed with 500 in it....

The car parks were almost full just after 6.30 p.m, nearly an hour before the start, with at least 200 queuing at the turnstiles and more than that number already in the stadium.

• Like 2

You can always tell the size of the crowd at Wolves by the amount of cars parked outside the stadium car park. Last night was the largest Elite league crowd we have had for a few years.Shame they did not get racing worthy of it

Edited by New Science

You can always tell the size of the crowd at Wolves by the amount of cars parked outside the stadium car park. Last night was the largest Elite league crowd we have had for a few years.Shame they did not get racing worthy of it

So how many (is a decent crowd) at Monmore Green now.......?

Do speedway clubs reveal attendances? It would be an interesting read.

I remember reading that Plymouth were going under because they had 400 turning-up every week.

New Science, on 03 May 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

At a guess about 1200

on those figures then the promoter would of lost money I would guess.