British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedwaysliders

Lakeside "squad System"

And that is the problem with a squad system, many riders will want a guarantee number of meetings or a retainer for signing for a squad if not allowed to ride for another club if offered a meeting.

I think to make it work there would have to be a certain length of time/certain amount of meetings within that time, that you would have had to use a rider otherwise he could then become a free agent..

That would stop certain teams stockpiling riders, keeping them sweet with retainers and never using them but simply preventing others doing so..

If the sport goes to six man teams next year then a seven or eight man squad could be the first step to eradicating guests and bringing long required credibility to the sport. However, as we know, how that gets administered fairly is open for conjecture given the sports history of manipulating glaringly obvious loopholes of any new rules...

Would be good for the sport though if the BSPA could make it work as it would also mean more regular fixtures as you would perm any six from eight riders so a couple missing regularly wouldn't mean having to plan in a very disjointed fixture list as is the case now..

I think to make it work there would have to be a certain length of time/certain amount of meetings within that time, that you would have had to use a rider otherwise he could then become a free agent..

That would stop certain teams stockpiling riders, keeping them sweet with retainers and never using them but simply preventing others doing so..

If the sport goes to six man teams next year then a seven or eight man squad could be the first step to eradicating guests and bringing long required credibility to the sport. However, as we know, how that gets administered fairly is open for conjecture given the sports history of manipulating glaringly obvious loopholes of any new rules...

Would be good for the sport though if the BSPA could make it work as it would also mean more regular fixtures as you would perm any six from eight riders so a couple missing regularly wouldn't mean having to plan in a very disjointed fixture list as is the case now..

So 2 of the 8 man teams are rested every match, surely you need 9 for 6 man teams, 10 for 7 man teams (1 heat leader, 1 2nd string and a reserve?)

Just a thought, because if you are missing a 2nd string, you'll need a 2nd string, and if your no 7 and 8 are heat leader and reserve, you're screwed or back to R/R or a reserve in main body??

And that is the problem with a squad system, many riders will want a guarantee number of meetings or a retainer for signing for a squad if not allowed to ride for another club if offered a meeting.

thats exactly why squads wont work , what rider in there right mind would limit themselves to the odd meeting when theres other clubs willing to give them regular or more meetings?

also the cost, riders need bikes over here,is it worth it for a few matches? costs need to be reduced for clubs to survive

• Like 5

Season over for AJ due to broken collarbone and ribs. Sad news. Great rider.

Season over for AJ due to broken collarbone and ribs. Sad news. Great rider.

I agree. Great rider on track and really nice guy off track. . One of the best. Hope he makes good recovery. He has already had a fair bit of damage to the collar bone area in the past and there is only so much the muscles around there can take. I hope we haven't seen the last of him in the EL. Love to see him back at Lakeside next year.

Looks it could be the final straw for his GP career , and the end of Lakeside's chances of making the play offs.

• Like 1

Gutted for AJ it looked a really bad crash and nothing he could do at all, just looked like Greg wiped him out. Hopefully it's nothing to serious as when I heard he was taken away with neck brace on I did fear the worst. Can Lakeside sign a replacement or is it a guest only?

The best rider in arena essex / lakeside's history. His track record at purfleet will surely never be beaten, if race times of recent seasons are anything to go by.

If it is only his collarbone then although he is out for the season i am sure he will be back, he isn't the sort of character to duck a challenge.Always been fan of his and a very brave rider which is fantastic from a fan's viewpoint but maybe not so good from an injury point of view but when i hear he had pain in his back i though of Darcy so in view of what it could have been, a broken collar bone isn't too bad.

Covering for AJ is not going to be easy - a major headache for Jon Cook. If Swindon get the point they need at Belle Vue, it would certainly take the pressure off the Hammers vis-à-vis the meeting on 16th.

• Like 1

Gutted for AJ it looked a really bad crash and nothing he could do at all, just looked like Greg wiped him out. Hopefully it's nothing to serious as when I heard he was taken away with neck brace on I did fear the worst. Can Lakeside sign a replacement or is it a guest only?

I think they can sign a replacement but the problem is who are you going to get for perhaps one meeting? Even a good rider needs time to get used to the track, and they are hardly queuing up to ride in GB anyway. Might have to finish up having to vgo with r/r.

The old Lakeside injury curse strikes again. I can't remember a season under the present promotion when they didn't lose key riders due to injury, all of them injured riding somewhere else. Very frustrating.

Can only use a guest for the remaining League meetings. They can sign a 'permanent' replacement for the play-offs if they make it - or use a guest from the bottom 4 clubs?!

For match v Swindon it must be guest or R/R. But every EL rider is eligible to guest except for Jason Doyle (but as Swindon are the opposition even in speedway that is just too unlikely.)

If Lakeside then reach the playoffs they could use the "seven day injury replacement window" and sign a rider, not currently riding in the UK. e.g. Sayfutdinov or Dudek. But more likely they will just carry in using Iversen as a guest.