British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

what does it matter? it's up to the promoter who he let's in free.

B....I....N....G....O....

what does it matter to anyone who the promoter lets in free.. he could clean his car once a week and get in free..

Worth applying and paying for a licence...cheaper than a season ticket ;-)

Must investigate what's required to obtain this licence :t:

• Like 1

surely allowing ex riders in for free is an attraction for spectators

people might recognise them, bump into them having a chat etc. then go home extra satisfied

If it was Ivan Mauger, Peter Collins, Sam Ermolenko, Tony Rickardsson, Jason Crump, they might.

But probably less satifying if it's someone who rode at reserve at Long Eaton in 1979... (No disrespect to whoever were the reserves at Long Eaton in 1979)

surely allowing ex riders in for free is an attraction for spectators

people might recognise them, bump into them having a chat etc. then go home extra satisfied

I'd agree to a certain extent.

Nothing better than chatting to ex riders and hearing old stories, plus getting their perspective of the riding action on the night.

You learn a lot and it gives an added dimension to the meeting.

Same with other sports as well...watch it with someone who's been there and done it at the highest level, and you get a whole different understanding.

It's not like the terraces are bursting at the seams is it....

I'd also take it further and invite all school children in free with paying adult...and all under 18's in for free that are in education.

You might as well have these people in for free, spending on refreshments etc...than not. You get them hooked and then that generation pay ( hopefully ) in the future.

Plus...if people watching on the TV see a full house, especially of a younger generation, then they might be inclined to come as well.

Just thinking outside the box a little.

Must investigate what's required to obtain this licence :t:

£123 to obtain the relevant licences. ACU licence is required to obtain an SCB licence

ACU Licence £38

SCB Licence £85

Game on I'd say :D

• Like 1

£123 to obtain the relevant licences. ACU licence is required to obtain an SCB licence

ACU Licence £38

SCB Licence £85

Game on I'd say :D

SCB licence is £60 if you classify yourself an amateur ;-)

SCB licence is £60 if you classify yourself an amateur ;-)

I'm to good for that. Can't sell myself short :lol:

• Like 5

I don't see a problem as long as its just the rider and not his family, friends and anybody else who happens to know him.

• Like 1

I have commented on this before. I think Speedway needs to get to grips with these freeloaders who seem to get in to Tracks everywhere and stop that happening. Sort that out before picking on ex-Riders.

I also agree that Club Legends should probably get Free Admission - but if you allow that, then what about legends of other Clubs that have closed down. I quote Cradley Heath as an example - should Billy Hamill or Bruce Penhall be allowed Free Entry to other Tracks? Greg Hancock when he retires?

I just pose the question.

• Like 1

As i say Mark Loram doesnt pay at Ipswich but then should he also get in free at Poole, Lakeside and Eastbourne for example.

Fine line as you say about where to draw the line on who should pay and at what tracks.

I'd say with Mark Loram that as I believe he was married to Chris Louis sister (apologies if I'm wrong) and a close friend of Chris and suffered his career ending injury at Foxhall while riding for Ipswich that he's got a pretty good argument for getting in free.

Maybe he sponsors or advertises and free entry is part of that deal.

i believe mike lanham pays (no doubt i will be told if wrong)...being part of a champioinship side, id personally say that should give them access, but i also see other side of it too