British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

I'd say with Mark Loram that as I believe he was married to Chris Louis sister (apologies if I'm wrong) and a close friend of Chris and suffered his career ending injury at Foxhall while riding for Ipswich that he's got a pretty good argument for getting in free.

Maybe he sponsors or advertises and free entry is part of that deal.

I heard about a paralyzed young rider having to pay to get in where he had the accident that put him in the wheelchair for life,that I find disgraceful.

I also know a mascot who has to pay to go in as does his dad.

I have a friend who was a league 1 pro footballer he can take 2 people free to loads of games because they seem to look after ex players.

The answer to ex riders getting in free should come in how many riders have raced for your team and how many ex riders do you see each week. If hardly any then they should get in free and not be lost to the sport.

You can't just let every rider who's thrown his leg over a bike come in every week for free. Places like Coventry and Belle Vue who have a long history would just be packed with ex-riders.

I wouldn't expect riders who have legendary status to be paying, and I'm sure if Ole Olsen was in the country he'd be invited to Coventry for free. The same goes for Tony Rickardsson at Poole.

I wouldn't expect the likes of Peter Collins, Alan Wilkinson, Jason Crump, Jason Lyons to pay at Belle Vue, nor Terry Betts at King's Lynn, Martin Ashby at Swindon, Sam Ermolenko or Ronnie Corrie at Wolves etc etc.

But I wouldn't let every Tom, Dick and Harry walk in without paying every week, as some feel they have the right to.

A lot of ex-riders who want to attend every week give their services anyway as managers, machine examiners, clerks of the course, or working in hospitality.

Football clubs often use ex-players to look after VIPs in hospitality. Garry Stead takes on this kind of role at Belle Vue and is very good at it.

So I say let in club legends, and find a role for riders who want to give something back to the sport, but no automatic right to any lesser ex-rider who wants to come along every week and just get sozzled at the bar.

We're not talking about a great influx of riders on mass surely wanting to access a speedway at any one time?

As regards Olsen, I remember the occasion he wished to access the pits at Coventry whilst riding for Wolves and the 'job's worth' on the gate asked for his name to which Olsen replied "Ole" and the man then asked "Ole who?" And that's when he was riding! Chances anyone knowing him now!

• Like 1

I heard about a paralyzed young rider having to pay to get in where he had the accident that put him in the wheelchair for life,that I find disgraceful.

I also know a mascot who has to pay to go in as does his dad.

I have a friend who was a league 1 pro footballer he can take 2 people free to loads of games because they seem to look after ex players.

The answer to ex riders getting in free should come in how many riders have raced for your team and how many ex riders do you see each week. If hardly any then they should get in free and not be lost to the sport.

I too find it disgusting if a paralysed rider was asked to pay.

If you're the team mascot surely in a small way you're involved in the "show"

Many clubs have their own 'Hall of Fame'; 'Legends Lounge' or similar. Surely everyone that is included in those should be given free admission. Of course many do keep in touch with the respective promotions and simply have to ask for a pass rather than just turn up and argue the toss at the pit gate or 'guests entrance'!

• Like 1

I too find it disgusting if a paralysed rider was asked to pay.

If you're the team mascot surely in a small way you're involved in the "show"

yes totally disgusting but had he been Darcy ward he would of had the red carpet treatment with his entourage coming in free with him.

Yes to charge a mascot is simply wrong as he has to pay for bike fuel ect (or his dad does) so it's not a cheap night to do 3 or 4 laps.

yes totally disgusting but had he been Darcy ward he would of had the red carpet treatment with his entourage coming in free with him.

Yes to charge a mascot is simply wrong as he has to pay for bike fuel ect (or his dad does) so it's not a cheap night to do 3 or 4 laps.

So are you being truthful or are you just looking for an excuse to have a go at Darcy Ward?

• Like 1

So are you being truthful or are you just looking for an excuse to have a go at Darcy Ward?

I am being 1000% truthful, I found it disgusting.

I am being 1000% truthful, I found it disgusting.

Why have a snide pop at Darcy then?

I'll reserve judgement and opinion on the other matter as you've not given a name for the rider or track.

Who was the paralysed rider at what track and who was the mascot at what track?

Not right to give out names and I won't

• Like 1

Not right to give out names and I won't

Why? You were happy to name check Darcy Ward.

• Like 2

Be honest tho. Do you really think any track would charge Darcy Ward for entry? I'm not saying they should before anyone starts :D

• Like 1

If the promoter was to read it he may stop the kid riding.

If the promoter was to read it he may stop the kid riding.

I think your pants are on fire.

in fairness, especially on here, if a statement like that is expressed, you can understand people wanting to know who it was?

I think your pants are on fire.

Think what you want but both points are sadly true,.

in fairness, especially on here, if a statement like that is expressed, you can understand people wanting to know who it was?

I don't think they should ask the name of the child or the disabled person under what was said, but I do understand Colin people are nosey for gossip but won't get names out of me. Edited by robert72
  • Like 1