British Speedway Forum
secsy1

Team Gb For World Cup

Be interesting who of Bates and Ellis out on top tomorrow in the first round of the u21 final at Kings Lynn.

Don't forget you can watch the meeting live on Youtube. They meet in heat ten. Hope theres no geo blocking for this meeting.

it was interesting yes. Bates scoring 10 coming back from a dislocated shoulder and Ellis scoring 5 coming back from a broken collarbone. When they met in heat 10 Bates comfortably beat him. So this season Bates has made it to the British Final, become British under 21 champion and then in the first round of the World under 21 scores double what Ellis did and made the semi finals. Wether you think Ellis is the better rider or not he cannot match what Bates has done on the track this season. Whoever the reserve is will not matter as neither are good enough but on what he has achieved it has to be Josh Bates.
  • Like 3

it was interesting yes. Bates scoring 10 coming back from a dislocated shoulder and Ellis scoring 5 coming back from a broken collarbone. When they met in heat 10 Bates comfortably beat him. So this season Bates has made it to the British Final, become British under 21 champion and then in the first round of the World under 21 scores double what Ellis did and made the semi finals. Wether you think Ellis is the better rider or not he cannot match what Bates has done on the track this season. Whoever the reserve is will not matter as neither are good enough but on what he has achieved it has to be Josh Bates.

Bates got 12.

At least the debate between Bates and Ellis, for the reserve place in Team GB, can be put to bed now.

• Like 3

Maybe, but Ellis is a much more polite young man than Master Bates!! :D:D

Changed my opinion, Josh Bates for SWC U21 reserve spot

• Like 1

Very impressed with Bates, he should of cemented his WTC place.Ellis was also very unlucky leading a race that was stopped. Bates really attacked the track and he really is improving.

Maybe, but Ellis is a much more polite young man than Master Bates!! :D:D

Maybe but as I don't know either I cant comment, but the debate about the best rider to have as our reserve should now be over.

Changed my mind too, after last night Bates deserves the reserve nomination.

• Like 1

Saturday night just cemented Bates position in my eyes.

British under 21 champ should carry some kudos when it comes to the reserve pick especially as we have nobody who would be capable of stepping up and mixing it. The fact he made the semi finals just adds to the point he is quite clearly the best choice.

On to the main team and the fact King won the title should carry some sort of Kudos as well but this is the main team not a reserve position that it doesnt really matter who we choose.

If we (rightly) assume that Tai Cook and Lambert are in then the final place is still open and possibly between 3 and at a stretch 4 riders.

King - Winner of the British Final on quite a tricky track. Form this season has been patchy. Is one good meeting enough to guarantee him a place? Has rode in the World Cup before and not done much.

Nicholls - Been there seen it worn the t shirt at international level but is on the downgrade. Had a decent enough British Final and has beaten King at Belle Vue in every race they have met. Elite league average higher than King as well

Harris - Same as Nicholls seen it and done it before but on the downgrade. Always gives 110% and never let the team down in World Cups. Had a shocker of a British Final and hasnt yet gone well at Belle Vue. Again better than King in the league

Steve Worrall - Outside bet but unlikely. In flying form, loves the track and had a good British Final but maybe just lacks something for this level.

Personally i think Nicholls would do better than King.

Would we all reckon Worrall or Starke should be in if they had won the British crown? For me we need to look at more than one meeting in my opinion.

Just a footnote im making the trip to Foxhall this Thursday as Newcastle are in town so should be good.

What i noticed in this PREMIER league meeting is that the British Number 1,3 and 4 are all riding (King, Lambert, Worrall). Then next month the British Number 2 visits (Cook). Just shows how far the talent has dipped since the 90's when it was tough for any premier league boys to even make the final!

• Like 2

I frequently go off with some kind of internal combustion at Gavan's posts but IMHO that's a very fair analysis of the situation even if one disagrees with the conclusions.

Chris "Bomber" Harris.... Agree, he had a shocker in the British Final, hasn't scored particularly well at the NSS yet, and has had a very iffy start in the GP series this year....

But, he does know the opposition well, rides against most in the GP's and Poland, when picked.. But...

When he rides with the Union Flag on his chest, he always rides out of his skin, and has never let us down in the SWC.. Scotty self exiled himself for whatever reason, and Danny Kings win was in extreme conditions, unlikely to be replicated in the SWC Final...

I would go with Chris Harris.

Rosco doesn't have to pick this minute. Still has a couple of weeks to monitor the form of different riders.

Rosco doesn't have to pick this minute. Still has a couple of weeks to monitor the form of different riders.

Actually he has until about 5 hours before the final starts to pick his team out of 10 riders max he has to name in a weeks time.

For me it's Tai, Cook, Lambert + 1, yes Danny King won the British Final in fine style but in the only conditions that he would have, dry day in July(hoping) in my opinion he would be ineffective, Bomber who knows? Always busts a gut in WC and his record isn't bad and Scotty hasn't wanted to ride until it's on his home track and were seeded to final so anyone's choice, U21 reserve agree Bates or Ellis take your pick just think if needed Ellis would be more calm and ready but wouldn't argue with Bates buzzing his t**ts off either