British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Bcmma Cook

Are The Bspa Missing A Trick With The British Final?

Obviously domestically the British Final is one of the biggest meetings in the calendar.... so why not use it to market the sport better?

In 2017, I would turn the British Final into a mini-GP series, nothing majorly stupid but run the event over a 3-round format.... have the opening round at Kings Lynn, second round at Pool with the final at the National Stadium.

This could well attract a main sponsor as there is the prestige of supporting a national championship and having a champion declared next to your brand, there are also opportunities for several associate sponsors to make this lucrative

I am not sure if there is any prize money on offer at present? or are riders just riding for the prestige?

If marketed well alongside sponsors, the investment from sponsors could well put together a nice prize pot for the riders finishing positions after all 3 rounds are completed.

Also, If the meetings could be streamed on the official speedwaytv channel at a one-off price of say £15 for all 3 meetings, this would boost the coffers also, pretty sure fans who cannot travel to all events would be happy to pay £5 per meeting (unless of course there is a TV deal in place for this series).

You definitely wouldn't get Tai riding in that format!!! ;-)

I don't think there's much wrong with it as it is, I like the 'one big night' drama and it's a refreshing change from the other 'series' events on our screen. It was unfortunate about the weather though, there wasn't much in the way of side by side racing and the place looked two thirds empty.

Obviously domestically the British Final is one of the biggest meetings in the calendar.... so why not use it to market the sport better?

In 2017, I would turn the British Final into a mini-GP series, nothing majorly stupid but run the event over a 3-round format.... have the opening round at Kings Lynn, second round at Pool with the final at the National Stadium.

This could well attract a main sponsor as there is the prestige of supporting a national championship and having a champion declared next to your brand, there are also opportunities for several associate sponsors to make this lucrative

I am not sure if there is any prize money on offer at present? or are riders just riding for the prestige?

If marketed well alongside sponsors, the investment from sponsors could well put together a nice prize pot for the riders finishing positions after all 3 rounds are completed.

Also, If the meetings could be streamed on the official speedwaytv channel at a one-off price of say £15 for all 3 meetings, this would boost the coffers also, pretty sure fans who cannot travel to all events would be happy to pay £5 per meeting (unless of course there is a TV deal in place for this series).

Not knocking your idea but why should every event descend into a mini GP series. The weakness of the GP series as Woffinden said on Saturday that "he is not that bothered about winning each event just banking points" At least with a one off event it is all about winning which for me is what it should be about,it brings intensity to the event. On the World stage just imagine a one off World final at Torun (how good would that be)

Can see it from both sides - I guess If you want to see the best rider in the UK win the title in relation tot he British Final then a mini GP series is the way to go, the champ will be the most consistant rider over 3 rounds - on a one-off night literally anyone could win under any circumstance.

I just think British Speedway is missing a trick here

Edited by Christopher Bcmma Cook

Tai doesn't care about England, yes he may have a UK passport but he really does England a bad rap, rides when he wants, too busy on his twitter account

It would be a good idea for three rounds of a British championship An even better idea would be to have the old style world championship with a one off world final to run along side the Gp's each season

Only way I can see that happening in the GP series is if it is split into TWO groups of 16 riders each racing a 5 round series with the top 8 from both groups going into a grand final.... however name 32 riders who are deserving of a place?

Compared with the European scene the Brit Final is a second rate event competed for by mainly second stringers/reserves.

• Like 1

The Danes have gone back to a one night final after years of having 2 rounds,because there just isn't the space in the season to get the riders together for more than the one meeting

The difficulty with a 3 meeting final, is not just the availability of riders and more disruption of the league teams, but the probability of the winner being known early, and there being not much interest after that, with either a very depleted field of a string of reserves replacing missing riders or non interested racing.

Maybe if you had them on consecutive night Poole Wednesday, Kings Lynn Thursday, Belle Vue Friday.

The difficulty with a 3 meeting final, is not just the availability of riders and more disruption of the league teams, but the probability of the winner being known early, and there being not much interest after that, with either a very depleted field of a string of reserves replacing missing riders or non interested racing.

Wasn't the old style world final run over two legs once as I recall. Not a success and never repeated.

As you say , the inherent weakness in the idea, apart from missing riders is that the probability of the winner being known early. This sort of event depends on the tension of getting it right on the night. The first leg wouldn't mean much because there won't be a result , and after the second leg there would be up perhaps 10 riders who no longer gave a chance of winning. You only have to look at the number of riders who pull out of the ELRC these days.

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1