British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crescent girl

Live On Sky: Berwick V Workington, Monday, June 27th

In a meeting that we then found out that we couldn't track Ludde away in Sweden, and had to ride Adan McKinna instead. However Berwick were of course able to ride their Swede.

I use that DVD for shows and presentations, good advert.

I can't recall anybody riding any swedes, or Adam McKinna for that matter,,, but it was a good night and i'm sure it did happen Dave,,,

and if you've got dvds to prove it can I lend them ? ;)

When Shielfield is well prepared the racing is as good as anywhere else and you can bet the club will pull out all the stops for this one. The changes to bend three seem to give the riders three options now going in where there was really only one line in the past, hopefully that will improve the racing.

Hi, how has the track been altered? You're really constrained by the pitch in the middle aren't you, serious question though, what's been done....?

• Like 1

I can't recall anybody riding any swedes, or Adam McKinna for that matter,,, but it was a good night and i'm sure it did happen Dave,,,

and if you've got dvds to prove it can I lend them ? ;)

We only accepted the booking on the understanding that their Robin Aspregen sp?, and our Ludde would both be missing in Sweden, and cancel each other out. Swedes did not pick Robin, but the Swedes did pick Ludde and we were penalised for being understrength by only being able to ride a NL rider, who was our Adam. This decision galvanised our team and management, and they took it out on the Bandits on the track. Great meeting.

I was about 300 miles away at the time - admittedly a poor excuse for not turning up at a social event, but could anyone let us in on the secret?

I know it was a long time ago but when I was involved in televising PL-level speedway in the 80s the choice of tracks to go to was based on several points - the facilities and co-operation offered by the promotion and the lighting being key aspects.

I also used to recommend trying to select matches between two teams with tracks of similar size and ones where the away side were in better form than the home.

One of the frustrations was that we had a heck of a lot of viewers in Middlesbrough but Cleveland Park's lighting was so dreadful that we could only go there in June or early July.

One track got blacklisted by the cameramen though. The deal was that the tracks would provide the camera platforms. We got to one and the first bend cameraman threw a fit when he was presented with the sight of two oil barrels and a piece of plywood....

At another track the stadium management tried to get us to pay them as well as the speedway promotion for access.

Obviously Sky are operating at a much more professional level than we did but I would expect knowing they'll be made welcome and helped in every way also encourages them to return.

Berwick's a lovely place to visit - wish I could get back there. Used to enjoy the presenter too....

Basically, what you've just said, was their reasons. Berwick have excellent facilities to accommodate the cameras and so on and every time they have been here they have been impressed with the welcome they have received and the attitude of the club towards them "nothings too much trouble" was the phrase they used.

They also claimed that some tracks go in the other direction and moan that Sky are nothing but a hindrance to them, so that could be a reason why certain clubs do not feature very regularly.

It was also said a few times early in the season Berwick using covers to ensure a meeting went ahead did nothing to harm their chances. I would imagine this would be a pretty important factor as far as Sky are concerned.

• Like 7

Bellego it is

• Like 2

Well if it s bellego guesting then that's a win for me should be a good show in front of the cameras!

Basically, what you've just said, was their reasons. Berwick have excellent facilities to accommodate the cameras and so on and every time they have been here they have been impressed with the welcome they have received and the attitude of the club towards them "nothings too much trouble" was the phrase they used.

They also claimed that some tracks go in the other direction and moan that Sky are nothing but a hindrance to them, so that could be a reason why certain clubs do not feature very regularly.

It was also said a few times early in the season Berwick using covers to ensure a meeting went ahead did nothing to harm their chances. I would imagine this would be a pretty important factor as far as Sky are concerned.

That's great to hear. The attitudes we met with at some tracks were worse than disgusting. It's a good job we were speedway fans at heart or we and the station would almost certainly have pulled the plug after the first season. I look for signs that that minority attitude has gone - and hope.

Berwick deserve their success. Speedway has to work for its media coverage and it's great to hear that the Bandits are getting their reward.

I can't wait to see this match, especially with relatively local opposition - and then the delight of the Scottish derby!

• Like 3

Agree with rmc. Looking forward to two hard fought PL meetings

what happened to the black grippy shale that peter waite put down . it was supposed to provide extra grip for those that wanted it. 3rd bend alterations are very limited. ie ... deeper shale,smaller shale,bigger shale, no shale or moving the 3rd bend to the 1st bend. now thats an ides .

maybe going to widen the outside and do away with the snack shop . still hope its a good day weather wise and a good meeting for the kam er aas .narrow home win (sandbagger)

Looking at football pitchm measurements a pitch must be between 50-90 yards wide shielfield is 70 yards wide in a perfect world even 4 yards off all the way around would makei t one he'll of a track

• Like 2

what happened to the black grippy shale that peter waite put down . it was supposed to provide extra grip for those that wanted it. 3rd bend alterations are very limited. ie ... deeper shale,smaller shale,bigger shale, no shale or moving the 3rd bend to the 1st bend. now thats an ides .

maybe going to widen the outside and do away with the snack shop . still hope its a good day weather wise and a good meeting for the kam er aas .narrow home win (sandbagger)

Are you cresentcol's Dad? mmmmmm
  • Like 1

The pitch measures 110 x 70 yards, it was reduced to this size when the speedway moved back in in the mid nineties after the greyhound racing collapsed.