British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pogo1

Glasgow V Edinburgh ,wednesday 29/6/16, Sky Sports 7.30pm

enjoyed this meeting last night . fans saying track is narrow. it didnt look narrow when chris louis was doing his stuff on bend 4 with the camera looking back on the track . looked pretty wide to me . good turn out of both sets of fans . credit to them . good to see sam keeping his dummy in his pocket tonight . the weather played its part in the track prep . but thats the way it goes .

down side for me was ayres playing superstar to the fans as if he had won the meeting , won a world championship and has a baby all in one go ! no rollers from rene tonight, keep it up ronnie .

for me , my personal highlight was young dan bewley beating the show pony ayres .. . ayres celebrations reminded me of nigel mansell waving to the crowd before he crossed the finish line in a f1 gp , then when he thought he was going to win it , he broke down . come on danny , england football team made fools of themselves getting cocky and promptly got eliminated from the euros. its time to celebrate when you have a few more points on the board and not just 4 .

but good meet and ignore all the so called el posters. we have a better product in the pl .

going to count how many passes there are in the next 2 sky meets in the el .

credit to glasgow promotion for the enjoyment factor .

• Like 2

The Glasgow promoters, fans and riders are doing a great job, of course it's easier with a local derby but all the same. All promoters should take note!

How I miss our Ipswich and Peterborough derbies

If we had a fans referendum at Lynn this evening Trees I'd vote PL without hesitation, I might even go more often if we dropped back down. The club has the asset base to be competitive at the top of the league and I think you'd get more and better rider interaction.

As for last night, putting the racing on a sodden track to one side the crowd and atmosphere came across fantastically well and probably did the sport a lot of good live on telly. Edinburgh top heavier than Dolly Parton.

• Like 2

WHAT a joy to see so many kids, boys and girls, in the crowd, all bedecked in Glasgow colours. Great credit to the Glasgow promotion who managed to get that number of people through the gate despite it being on Sky as well. Lessons to be learned ...

• Like 4

I saw a bit of it. It was good to see a decent crowd at a Sky meeting. I guess the fact that it was against Edingburgh helped, although Glasgow are clearly promoting well at the moment.

Some of the racing was processional, but the score stayed close for most of the match and there was crowd and crowd noise to compensate. You can get racing as good as you like, but if it is in front of 2 people and a programme board it doesn't come across well.

• Like 2

Coty Garcia fantastic, I recall a regular poster on here saying how crap he was last year and just because he had an exotic surname didn't make him a rider, oh and equipment wouldn't make any difference to him, ouch!

Fantastic evening showing what's good about our sport we all love, ok there wasn't as much passing as normal but riders were right up for it from both teams and both sets of fans were a credit to there team,

Fisher really good , and even when passed by Garcia coming off bend two he still shook his hand after the race after what was a very tough pass by our Coty.

Atmosphere electric , even though I have a slight sore head with all the air horns lol

Thats what I admire about Fisher he can "give it out" but he can also "take it" without any fuss,great sportsman.

love to see the fans so involved,even getting covered in shale didnt stop their enjoyment!! It also seems that the female starting marshall has no problems getting the riders to line up quickly to race,its like she just she just gives them a couple of signals and their ready to race.Maybe the female touch does the trick and the riders do what their told!!!

think the riders would be well warned after Monday nights debacle at the starts,they certainly obeyed the starting Marshall and minimum fuss at gate..
  • Like 2

WHAT a joy to see so many kids, boys and girls, in the crowd, all bedecked in Glasgow colours. Great credit to the Glasgow promotion who managed to get that number of people through the gate despite it being on Sky as well. Lessons to be learned ...

Glasgow have been giving a lot of attention to the kids with Roary Tiger going round the track in a car with a bucket and the kids pay £1 for a ball to throw in, winning ball gets a prize, also they have a kids race with Roary on the infield , which is very popular, sometimes with about 80 + youngsters. Some of the older fans don't like this, but it brings in the youngsters who are the next generation of fans...

• Like 7

Wasn't he on borrowed equipment last year, some sort of patched up machine cobbled together? Glasgow have the finances to kit him out, whereas Berwick chose not to, you can't really blame them as it wouldn't really be fair on the other members of the team.

Coty was released due to the British No 7 3pt average rule coming in which had we kepth him Berwick would have started season with 2 3pt average reserves. Thankfully he is a Berwick asset so hopefully will be recalled in the future.

And what incentives were given Phil ? We had massives crowds when Sky came on the scene for the first few years, but like most clubs the honeymoon period died and fans decided to stay at home and watch it..

Edited by Starman2006

Does Danny Ayres need to re-think his victory celebration

Why......

Danny is perhaps a wee tad OTT but IMO not enough riders interact with their supporters nowadays. The other Glasgow riders normally do similar celebrations too and you only have to watch the crowds response to see how much it is appreciated. It all adds to the "fun factor" and it's working for them

• Like 7

Coty was released due to the British No 7 3pt average rule coming in which had we kepth him Berwick would have started season with 2 3pt average reserves. Thankfully he is a Berwick asset so hopefully will be recalled in the future.

Im sure we could do a deal!

Decent meeting last night, was pleasant being on the fourth bend, more carnival atmosphere than that of the playoff meet last October. Looks a good bit of positive PR having just watched it back on tv.

Another big weekend with Worky away and Sheffield home.

cant see anything wrong with the danny aires celebration, when Jason garrity started out in the nl he became a bit of a pantomime villain at monmore which was great. all added to the entertainment

• Like 1

Fine,but the trouble with that thinking is you don't get the benefit of a rider who looked like he could have improved his average which at the end od the day every team is looking for.Jake Allen being another example Somerset took a chance and it looks like paying off. Garcia was also exciting to watch as he gave 100%.

what a load of rubbish! The elite league has plenty of poor meetings yet you choose to ignore them. Correct on Monday it wasn't great but you need 2 teams to make a meeting. Last night was what speedway should be about plenty of atmosphere and some good racing despite the weather.

I do not ignore the poor EL meetings at all and have never said all EL meetings are better than the PL so please don't put words in my mouth.

The EL meetings on sky this year have all been pretty good but there have been plenty of stinkers over the years.

Often when SKY cover the PL the matches are pretty good however what this week has proved is that the PL has poor and averages matches just like any other league.

And what incentives were given Phil ? We had massives crowds when Sky came on the scene for the first few years, but like most clubs the honeymoon period died and fans decided to stay at home and watch it..

There were no incentives, admission was the same price as normal. There has however been a huge effort in promoting via social and mainstream media. There have also been regular promotional stalls at other sporting and community events in the area. A massive plus has been the engagement with a family audience and the entertainment put on for kids each week. The amount of work the Facennas and all the volunteers have put in is huge. They have also made clear that they need our support. We are also lucky we have a small stadium which creates atmosphere.

TBH I can't for the life of me think why there was a poor crowd at Poole Belle Vue this season. It's the glamour meeting in English speedway, and I can't answer that. Maybe more people have Sky down South or maybe Poole are on too often... dunno.

• Like 1