British Speedway Forum

I am sad to see that the 'BEES' will be not be running his season. let us hope that they can be formed nearby but some true Speedway supporters in the Coventry area. Its a pity that this was not known several months ago giving time to do something about it.

Just watch how quick planning permission goes through.

Edited by pete cc

This is very sad news for speedway and i can only imagine how Coventry fans are feeling right now. I put on the Belle Vue thread that maybe the powers that be could put the same effort in to helping Coventry as they have with Belle Vue. I can only hope that they can return next year as reported on the BSPA site.

only need 8 teams for the sky money , once Leicester and Belle Vue were secure , Coventry were surplus to requirements.The timing of this announcement proves that beyond doubt so the bspa could sharpen their knoives and stab the bees fans /riders in the back without fear of losing any money

• Like 1

When Saddlebow Road first opened, and comparing it to other venues I always placed Brandon as the place to emulate. Each time we went it was usually a full house and the noise and excitement was unparalleled. So many great stars and wonderful personalities have graced this track and to acknowledge it will be no more is hard to understand........ I appreciate things change, but I can't help thinking something has to be wrong when a city as big as Coventry haven't a team when once it was the mecca of the sport.

It is not for me to judge or to proportion blame, but I can't help remembering, at the time when the track was sold to a non-speedway enterprise, I thought it was only a matter of time before greedy financial decisions took control of the premises....

My main thoughts go to the fans who will miss the sport, I can only imagine how I would feel if the same happened at Lynn. Yeah, I know, I could and would go to Peterborough, but that wouldn't be the same as the team I supported through thick and thin will have gone. Nothing can ever replace the venue and team you have supported for so long and it is to you I feel for most...

When our team for 2017 was announced I had them feelings that this could actually be our year. But after all that has happened recently, It doesn't seem that important any more.....

Sure is sad times

• Like 5

once Leicester and Belle Vue were secure , Coventry were surplus to requirements.The timing of this announcement proves that beyond doubt so the bspa could sharpen their knoives and stab the bees fans /riders in the back without fear of losing any money

This is obviously a very sad and emotional time for the fans of Coventry and supporters of speedway throughout the UK. However, it is highly unlikely that the BSPA set out to stab anybody associated with the Bees in the back. On the contrary the BSPA extended (soft) deadlines to the promotion to give them a chance to sort out their home fixtures which eventually they did, but as it turned out there was insufficient funding to guarantee a full season of fixtures once it became clear to the promotion that they would not be able to return to Brandon after 8 meetings and run the remainder of the season there.

Therefore it made no sense for the promotion to lodge money with the BSPA nor for the BSPA to allow the Bees to start a season they would almost certainly not complete.

Please don't take this in any way as thumbs up for the BSPA - just that in this instance they had no choice but to take this decision.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, I think that Belle Vue and Coventry are two completely different situations.

With Belle Vue the stadium owners, MCC, wanted speedway to continue and there were six prospective promoters wanting to take over. The BSPA didn't have to overcome any difficulties with the council or struggle to help to find people wanting to take it on.

With Coventry, there is an existing promoter, a stadium requiring a large sum of money to make it fit for purpose and an apparent unwillingness of at least some of the parties involved to get together with a will to keep the Bees running. The BSPA could and may have tried to facilitate an agreement but it was a much more difficult task than they faced at Belle Vue. They do not have the money to purchase the stadium, assuming Brandon Estates really do want to sell and some of the parties are clearly being intransigent. If the BSPA have done little or nothing they deserve condemnation but if they tried but found they were facing people not prepared to listen or compromise there was realistically little they could achieve.

• Like 2

Sad day for speedway,but hopefully in the very near future they will be back.

I don't know who is to blame for the mess,but i did see Jeff Davies one of the men still working hard to get the Bees back on the track next year doesn't apportion any of the blame on the BSPA.He actually said the BSPA did absolutely everything possible,and he was personally involved.

• Like 2

Sad day for speedway,but hopefully in the very near future they will be back.

I don't know who is to blame for the mess,but i did see Jeff Davies one of the men still working hard to get the Bees back on the track next year doesn't apportion any of the blame on the BSPA.He actually said the BSPA did absolutely everything possible,and he was personally involved.

Agree. There are a lot of angry people about at the moment but the bspa should not be blamed. Why on earth would they want a club to close? Imo they fell over backwatds to give as much time as possible.

• Like 7

I think that that the BSPA did all it could do to save Coventry..I will never believe that they didn't want them in the

league . they always a good draw and the Promoters will have at least 3 weeks to fit into the season. which was very

sparse in the first place.

I think that that the BSPA did all it could do to save Coventry..I will never believe that they didn't want them in the

league . they always a good draw and the Promoters will have at least 3 weeks to fit into the season. which was very

sparse in the first place.

https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/update-i-think-a-new-venue-can-be-found-bspa-chairman-optimistic-of-bees-future/

Coventry were always a big name and always attractive visitors. I remember they always brought a coach load of fans down to Arlington for Saturday night fixtures.

My hope is that a way can be found to get the Bees back racing on their own track in 2018.

I'm no poet, but I penned this little poem as a tribute to the sadness all Bees supporters, and indeed all true speedway supporters must be feeling at this time. I've been in the same situation, and it broke my heart. With the latest news, it appears there may be a glimmer of hope for the future. lets hope so.

I'm standing here this darkened night, the tears roll down my face.

How could they know how much this meant, this track, this special place.

The ghosts of times gone by ring out, the sounds of bikes and crowds,

of giants of the speedway track, of Champions of the World.

They all rode here, the best there was upon this hallowed track,

the place where dreams were made, so often when I look back.

We won it all in times gone by, the best team in the land,

from League to Knockout Cup, oh boy we were so grand.

But now the time has come, to say my last goodbye

the place is quiet, the lights are out, it makes me want to cry.

Why did it have to be like this, to end this winters day

I guess we'll never know, as I turn and walk away.

• Like 9

So, according to that piece in the Coventry Observer - there never was a deal for Sandhu to re-instate Brandon after the fittings & lights were ripped out. Who did make that claim? Horton? BSPA? Cllr Stokes? Or did it just pop up like an urban myth?

So, according to that piece in the Coventry Observer - there never was a deal for Sandhu to re-instate Brandon after the fittings & lights were ripped out. Who did make that claim? Horton? BSPA? Cllr Stokes? Or did it just pop up like an urban myth?

It was said by Sandhu's camp that he would put the stuff back once a deal with Horton was agreed, which we were told it was. The problem is Brandon Estates didn't want Sandhu operating at Brandon and wouldn't let him put stuff back anyway. Maybe a tad convenient.

• Like 1