British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

What Changes Have To Be Made In 2017?

Changes to be made for 2017, rules, thinking, standards and plans for the future would do for a start.

To be honest and after recent events I think Tai Woffinden could answer the title of this topic better than any of us..!

Starman to be kicked off of this forum

:rofl:

To be honest and after recent events I think Tai Woffinden could answer the title of this topic better than any of us..!

:rofl:

Maybe he should put his money where his mouth is and promote a British club to show us how it should be done :) Edited by Star Lady
  • Like 1

Maybe he should put his money where his mouth is and promote a British club to show us how it should be done :)

He may well do that when he gives up winning World titles for Britain! :party:

• Like 1

He may well do that when he gives up winning World titles for Britain! :party:

It looks like he's having a year off from that this year, to go with his year off from Team GB next year. :lol:

Drag the sport into the 21st century and understand that the internet exists, stop marketing it as a "family night out", promotors start promoting and not just preaching to the converted.

Correct on all points, however...

Many on here quote examples such as guests, EDR nonsense rules, Double points, crap tracks, select teams being put together regularly, poor presentation etc etc as amongst the reasons why they don't attend or less frequently attend...

The irony is that the internet (eg forums like this) actively dissuade people to attend matches nowadays as all the information as to who is or isn't there, why they are missing, track problems if any, etc etc are all laid bare for people to read prior to the meeting taking place.

An example was a fortnight ago as just as I was setting off to watch him at BV I found out via the BSF that AJ was missing. Hence coat off and TV on to watch sod knows. (Wasn't forking out circa £50 for me and the lad)..

Years ago, we had lots of the same issues but didn't have any media outlet other than the Star and Mail which retrospectively informed people. We basically turned up to be told that "PC was in Germany for a longtrack final so xxxx replaces him". Or a poor meeting was read about a week later after the event, but not dissected 100 times. You may get the odd letter to the sports media but that was it...

Totally agree that the sport should embrace social media and any other IT medium to get their message out there..

But to gain any extra fans they have a lot of work to do logistically around the integrity and presentation of the sport to ensure that the message isn't open to ridicule, especially in the 'instant, critically focused' feedback world we live in today..

Maybe that should be the 2017 focus..?

Although unravelling what has been allowed to masquerade itself as a 'proper professional sport' for far, far too long, may take considerably longer than just one year..!

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

I forgot a couple of other points, racing Friday, Saturday or Sunday afternoon to improve crowds and then form teams around those race days, rename the leagues one and two and three and have standard bikes, a track spare and put saw dust down when it rains. Let the top guys do their own thing in Europe or what ever and let British speedway get back to basics with league racing every week between April and the end of September. Cannot be any worse than what you have now.

• Like 2

I forgot a couple of other points, racing Friday, Saturday or Sunday afternoon to improve crowds and then form teams around those race days, rename the leagues one and two and three and have standard bikes, a track spare and put saw dust down when it rains. Let the top guys do their own thing in Europe or what ever and let British speedway get back to basics with league racing every week between April and the end of September. Cannot be any worse than what you have now.

But the Premier Football League, and Champioship, plus leagues 1 and 2 play Fri, Sat and Sun afternoons....

If fans of both have to choose, I think the football would win..

Speedway is best in the evening, tracks are better, and there's less football..

The sport (speedway) can't afford to haemorrhage any more fans..

But the Premier Football League, and Champioship, plus leagues 1 and 2 play Fri, Sat and Sun afternoons....

Personally I think that continuity is important. A regular race day/night so that fans can expect to see their speedway on a regular basis...if that means running without the GP 'Stars' then so be it.

Sorry I meant only Sunday afternoon. Friday and Saturday nights for the rest and just to add spice, get Polish referees and anyone who knows nothing about speedway to officiate. Hey you could even get a retired rider to guest as ref, which would certainly make for some realistic decisions. Allow for fast gaters and make going back to the pits before a restart an exclusion offence.

i say commit to a league season with no absences except injury or internationals or else do not sign a contract.

the resulting weakness of both leagues will be more than offset by the benefits of a settled league competition where team supporters get behind the same 7/8 men regularly.

eventually the sport would become 2 tier with league riders and world stars - its already going that way tbh so we may as well take control and manage the situation.

• Like 2

Graham Reeve and Tony Steele to become ACU representatives on the SCB.

That's a good start. Previously ACU reps have not come from speedway background.

Graham Reeve and Tony Steele to become ACU representatives on the SCB.

That's a good start. Previously ACU reps have not come from speedway background.

And the right person to be appointed the new SCB prime officer

And the right person to be appointed the new SCB prime officer

Unfortunately I didn't get the job. I understand there is still some discussion about how this post will be filled.