British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Plrc Sheffield Sunday September 11th

Because of pricks like AH,I don't bother attend speedway meetings anymore!!Keep up the good work King Smuggie!! ;) Has he worked out how to buy a train ticket before he travels on the rail network? :blink:

Yes, but the turd polishers at the speedway star will hang on his every word and I imagine that on Thursday we will be told what an exciting meeting it was. It is as if we are told that it was a 'cracking meeting' enough times, people will believe that it was. A little honest self analysis by those who run the sport would not go amiss. I know that this has all been said many, many times before but it is on days like these when what should be a showpiece event is again exposed as sadly lacking in quality that we have to wonder exactly where all this is going. Tomorrow night I shall leave my season ticket in my wallet and, for I think the first time ever, choose not to go to Brough Park. I have only felt like this once before, after a farcical so called test match a few years ago which despite the fact that it was an embarrassment was repeatedly described as an amazing meeting: like all of us I have been to loads of meetings that were disappointing and/or just crap, and we all accept that the sport can be like that sometimes but the complacency that we sometimes see is cancerous and will kill the whole thing stone dead if certain people aren't careful.

• Like 1

Yes, but the turd polishers at the speedway star will hang on his every word and I imagine that on Thursday we will be told what an exciting meeting it was. It is as if we are told that it was a 'cracking meeting' enough times, people will believe that it was. A little honest self analysis by those who run the sport would not go amiss. I know that this has all been said many, many times before but it is on days like these when what should be a showpiece event is again exposed as sadly lacking in quality that we have to wonder exactly where all this is going.

Hence the reason I stayed in the New Barrack Tavern across the road with brilliant company and saved myself £20!!! ;)

• Like 1

Because of pricks like AH,I don't bother attend speedway meetings anymore!!Keep up the good work King Smuggie!! ;) Has he worked out how to buy a train ticket before he travels on the rail network? :blink:

I'm glad i never missed you then mate. I cancelled my Sheffield hotel on Friday night, and saw a cracking meeting at Berwick last night, and then went to Knockhill today for the Super Touring Car Festival instead. I've seen some great racing this weekend! :cheers:

I'm glad i never missed you then mate. I cancelled my Sheffield hotel on Friday night, and saw a cracking meeting at Berwick last night, and then went to Knockhill today for the Super Touring Car Festival instead. I've seen some great racing this weekend! :cheers:

No fb,no Paulco.I missed you both massively!! :o

I only go to Sheffield because of the respect I have for supporters who travel from all over the UK to attend this meeting!!It's a great day out catching up with folk you haven't see in a while!! ;)

Who needs a fare dodging tw@t to tell how good a meeting is or isn't!! :rofl:

Edited by bluejam

Wasn't a bit of home track advantage, as said in Stead's heat 11 where they graded specifically for him it didn't help! Great to see him beat crybaby Masters.

Edited by SavalasCloutingU21Champ

That will probably be my last PLRC. Was bored rigid for most of the meeting and I don't like individual meetings much anyway. Don't think I've seen a really good meeting in all the years I've been going there. The 2007 PL play off final 1st leg was probably my favourite.

Congrats to Simon Stead.

Spectacular race with Sam Masters in the Final.

Not the most entertaining meeting I have seen, but its a long time since I saw a PLRC that was entertaining.

Home track advantage did not come into for me lost if not all of the riders have beat Steady around Sheffield, so I don't think tink home advantage came into it.

Neutral track, very difficult to find one only two tracks that could be classed as neutral are Birmingham or Poole that could deal with large crowd.

But if you have a neutral track for this meeting you have do it for them all.

personally I would welcome all shared events going to Belle Vue.

For me the pricing of the meeting is an issue, £20 is far to much, maybe if they took the average for a Premier League match would be acceptable but to be asked to pay 25% extra to what we normally pay at Sheffield is a bit steep.

• Like 2

Sounds like it was a 'cracking meeting' to someone who paid 'Sweet FA' to get in....!!

Those who paid £20 to watch seem to have a different view..

(Obviously though their view isn't valid or accurate, that goes without saying)...

No fb,no Paulco.I missed you both massively!! :o

I only go to Sheffield because of the respect I have for supporters who travel from all over the UK to attend this meeting!!It's a great day out catching up with folk you haven't see in a while!! ;)

Who needs a fare dodging tw@t to tell how good a meeting is or isn't!! :rofl:

Was Paul not there? I thought he was in the car with Elaine, Alan & Bill.

I went to the BTCC at Knockhill last month, first time i've seen it live as i was always working at the hotel when it was on. I loved it, so when i saw the Super Tourer's clashed with today, i knew i'd have a problem haha.

£30 in the tank for Berwick last night and Knockhill today, and admission to both was all still cheaper than what my fuel would've been to Sheffield and back, before i'd paid my hotel or bought a pint. 17 races today at Knockhill from 9.45am - 6pm, all for £17 admission. Speedway could learn a lesson there.

We'll organise it better for next year though mate. I can't say i thought of the speedway today, but i did think of the banter at the NBT i'd be missing :lol:

• Like 1

Just back from Sheffield. Congrats to Stead but worst meeting I've been to in a long time. Zero passes and had to wait until last 3 races for some excitement. This meeting needs to be taken away from Sheffield, as someone has mentioned, such a shame we don't have a national stadium!!! If this meeting is at Sheffield next year, I for one won't be.

• Like 2

Who actually prepared the track for this meeting?? Thought it was Rob Godfrey on tractor?? Did the bspa prepare the track ?? Was certainly very poor tonight.. Not seen a good plrc in years.. I agree needs to go to Belle Vue but doesn't stop the home track advantage (Craig Cook , Stevie Worrall)

Who actually prepared the track for this meeting?? Thought it was Rob Godfrey on tractor?? Did the bspa prepare the track ?? Was certainly very poor tonight.. Not seen a good plrc in years.. I agree needs to go to Belle Vue but doesn't stop the home track advantage (Craig Cook , Stevie Worrall)

In this day and age you will never have a neutral track be it PL or EL due to all the doubling up but, Belle Vue would be my choice also, relatively central, easy enough to access and about as close to neutral nirvana, albeit in name only, as we're likely to get? :)

Dreadful presentation and a long drawn out meeting.....165 minutes for 22 one minute races.

Wow, that's horrendous, that's almost bordering on the infamous kids line, "are we nearly there yet"!! :D

PS,

Where are my manners, absolutely delighted to see Steady win this, after all he's been through it couldn't have gone to a better bloke, top man!! :t:

Edited by Lord Lucan

Got to agree; the racing at Owlerton this and for the past couple of years has not been the best. Gotta be something to do with the silencer change over. Don't get me wrong there is still the odd belter of a race and when it happens around Sheffield, you wont see better anywhere.

Can a track now be too fast? I only ask because looking at the track record page which granted hasn't been updated for a while; is Sheffield not the fastest track in not only Britain but the World? Average speed wise.

Home track advantage?? Maybe.. As always this argument will never be able to sorted out; too many double up riders!! Can't take it away from Steady; a rider who last year had to be air lifted to hospital with severe injuries. He's not been the Steady of old this year for sure both home and away. It's who wanted it the most end of..

Last of all.. Again it was a poor racing spectacle tonight but... Am I right in seeing the main 1's that are complaining are Newcastle fans!! Leave it out boys, the racing on that track of yours is the biggest load of s**te I have ever seen of all the tracks I've been to up and down the country.

I have just got home from Sheffield and have to say I was very disappointed, The track only had one racing line and that was about 1 meter wide. Whoever gated and got to that line first won, processional races do no-one, riders or spectators any favours, as was evident later in the meeting when it was obvious that the rider in last place waited until the last lap to just shut off and coast ( Due to the high kerb It's hard to exit the track) A field of this quality rarely make mistakes and that would have been the only way any passing would have been possible. The tractors actually spent more tme on the track than the bikes did, that can't be right and is no way to encourage people to return. Sorry, as a person who has been a speedway supporter since 1961 that is the last time I will travel to Sheffield to watch 22 races where the riders gate and keep the throttle wide open for 4 laps in line astern once they have exited turn 2 on the first lap.

• Like 3