British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

Plrc Sheffield Sunday September 11th

Congrats to Simon Stead.

Spectacular race with Sam Masters in the Final.

Not the most entertaining meeting I have seen, but its a long time since I saw a PLRC that was entertaining.

Home track advantage did not come into for me lost if not all of the riders have beat Steady around Sheffield, so I don't think tink home advantage came into it.

Neutral track, very difficult to find one only two tracks that could be classed as neutral are Birmingham or Poole that could deal with large crowd.

But if you have a neutral track for this meeting you have do it for them all.

personally I would welcome all shared events going to Belle Vue.

For me the pricing of the meeting is an issue, £20 is far to much, maybe if they took the average for a Premier League match would be acceptable but to be asked to pay 25% extra to what we normally pay at Sheffield is a bit steep.

Two alternative venues that have been mentioned are Belle Vue and Birmingham. Belle Vue is hardly unbiased and at Birmingham the viewing is poor and the track no better (certainly not on my visits, anyway).

I don't think there is that much home advantage and Stead is still one of the top riders in the PL. Beating Danny King at Ipswich is no mean feat (30 races unbeaten, I believe)and he did it twice on Thursday.

It really doesn't help when presenters say how fantastic meetings or races are when quite clearly they aren't. The chap at Belle Vue does that a lot and it grates. Better to say nothing at all.

It wasn't a good meeting but I'd question whether it would have been better elsewhere. Bellago proved on more than one occasion that with some serious effort you could pass; perhaps it was as much a question of effort from the riders competing than the track.

Who actually prepared the track for this meeting?? Thought it was Rob Godfrey on tractor?? Did the bspa prepare the track ?? Was certainly very poor tonight.. Not seen a good plrc in years.. I agree needs to go to Belle Vue but doesn't stop the home track advantage (Craig Cook , Stevie Worrall)

Graham Trollope & Rob Godfrey were on the tractors and I suspect Trollope prepared the track.

The quite remarkable thing is he also does Scunthorpe's - which is easily the best in the country, so I am not quite sure why Sheffield has been so poor this season.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Two alternative venues that have been mentioned are Belle Vue and Birmingham. Belle Vue is hardly unbiased and at Birmingham the viewing is poor and the track no better (certainly not on my visits, anyway).

I don't think there is that much home advantage and Stead is still one of the top riders in the PL. Beating Danny King at Ipswich is no mean feat (30 races unbeaten, I believe)and he did it twice on Thursday.

It really doesn't help when presenters say how fantastic meetings or races are when quite clearly they aren't. The chap at Belle Vue does that a lot and it grates. Better to say nothing at all.

It wasn't a good meeting but I'd question whether it would have been better elsewhere. Bellago proved on more than one occasion that with some serious effort you could pass; perhaps it was as much a question of effort from the riders competing than the track.

Graham Trollope & Rob Godfrey were on the tractors and I suspect Trollope prepared the track.

The quite remarkable thing is he also does Scunthorpe's - which is easily the best in the country, so I am not quite sure why Sheffield has been so poor this season.

Never been myself, but from seeing meetings at Scunthorpe on Sky or from reading what the fans report on here maybe the BSPA could look at taking the PLRC there. Obviously Owlerton has the off track facilities to hold a prestige's meeting, where maybe Scunthorpe hasen`t but IMO the vast majority of people go to see the on track racing which appears not to have been the best yesterday.

Only the once.

DK won heat 1 with Stead 3rd and DK was not in heat 15.

But Steady did ride well to win his other 4.

• Like 1

Ive not been to Sheffield for a few seasons as every time ive been its been follow my leader, looking at the field I thought it would produce good racing but sadly yet another borefest, a waste of money, should have stayed in the New Barrack Tavern myself. Given the tracks reputation its a job for mythbusters methinks :)

Despite the late cry offs with Lambert, Garrity and Kennett, I was really looking forward to this meeting. Pleasant day in weather terms and an excellent line up of riders competing for the trophy.

Sorry to say it was definitely one of the worst meetings I have been to for a very very long time. To say the racing was processional is a complete understatement and it appeared to me that some of the riders were completely losing interest after 2 to 3 laps. I have never seen 4th place riders tootling around at the back so often as was evident from this meeting - almost appearing to be making a statement. Some did not even bother to complete 4 laps, retiring back to the pits before they reached the finishing line.

Certainly won't be back for this event ever again at Sheffield!

The new National Stadium at Belle Vue is the obvious choice to hold such meetings where there are numerous racing lines and whilst there will always be a small element of home track advantage, Belle Vue at least offers the opportunity to riders who are prepared to "give it a go" as well as the other spectator benefits with it being a new stadium with modern facilities.

I think that's the issue with Sheffield that I could see, no one made any mistakes. It's alright during the week when Stead etc can pass second strings but as shown yesterday unless you pull out something incredible then it's just follow the leader.

Surprise surprise lambert is fit for tonight's meeting.

• Like 2

I fail to see your point!!!

• Like 2

Try picking the meetings he wants to ride in !!!

Why would he not want to ride in the PLRC, he rides Sheffield well and was probably in with a chance of winning it. So you would rather he turned up to the PLRC injured and not give his best!! Suppose it would give you another reason to slag him off I guess!!!

• Like 2

Never been myself, but from seeing meetings at Scunthorpe on Sky or from reading what the fans report on here maybe the BSPA could look at taking the PLRC there. Obviously Owlerton has the off track facilities to hold a prestige's meeting, where maybe Scunthorpe hasen`t but IMO the vast majority of people go to see the on track racing which appears not to have been the best yesterday.

I'd love to see it at Scunny but holding the PLRC there is just impractical as they simply don't have the facilities necessary.

The restaurant carvery at Sheffield had a number of sittings yesterday (I could see Tsunami guzzling and gazing with contempt at the proletariat below :D ) and EWR has nothing like that. For corporate clients and sponsors, that's an additional attraction.

Furthermore, Scunthorpe has raised terracing on the home straight only so round the rest of the stadium it would be poor viewing for anyone who arrived late.

It can be argued that Belle Vue would make a suitable alternative but, as much as I would like it to be, Scunthorpe simply isn't.

About time they had another go Sky, though.

Why would he not want to ride in the PLRC, he rides Sheffield well and was probably in with a chance of winning it. So you would rather he turned up to the PLRC injured and not give his best!! Suppose it would give you another reason to slag him off I guess!!!

Of course its entirely possible that he was injured yesterday and Ok today (no sarcasm, that can happen) but there will always be the suspicion that that wasn't the case, particularly when Lambert apparently said he didn't want to be there.

im convinced the more speeday i see the racing quality is down the the shape,mainly the width,this si what produces the decent racing

plus with Scunnys track open alot to practice,riders know it very well which inturn gives them confidence ro ``race``

quite a shame in the end the the Premier Leagues flag ship event hasnt entertained the paying public

Finding it strange that people are having a go at Robert Lambert on here. I actually find it a refreshing change in sport that somebody has actually missed an individual meeting to recuperate for a team meeting. How many times do you see GP riders miss several meetings only to save themselves for a GP?

Couldn't agree more with Montie either, regarding the shape / width of tracks. As the bikes are getting faster and faster and the way the modern bikes behave, if you want to see good racing, you need wider tracks.

• Like 5

im convinced the more speeday i see the racing quality is down the the shape,mainly the width,this si what produces the decent racing

plus with Scunnys track open alot to practice,riders know it very well which inturn gives them confidence ro ``race``

quite a shame in the end the the Premier Leagues flag ship event hasnt entertained the paying public

You might be right..............but two other of my favourites this season have been Workington and Lakeside, and its difficult to imagine two that are more different.

I'd maintain its down to preparation. That means having someone who knows what they are doing, has the time to do it, has no outside pressures (eg rider demands) and can make it the best for racing.

That's why I can't understand why there is such a vast difference between Scunthorpe & Sheffield - its the same chap !!

Resting over the weekend and missing a dead rubber and a novelty meeting so he is fit for an important league match tonight makes perfect sense to me. I don't consider that picking and choosing, just being sensible.

• Like 1