British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Drugs In Uk Speedway?

Surely those sort of drugs would only be beneficial if the effects were present during a meeting? Would have thought riders would be better off trying to rest as much as possible when they weren't racing?

Of course they should and in an ideal world would.Not always possible with the itinerary they have.Meeting,lift to the airport,fly to another country,lift from the airport meeting,maybe travel in their mobile home/workshop to another meeting etc etc.I often see riders on Facebook asking if anyone can pick them up or take them to a track or airport.They rely on friends and it seems fairly often these plans go awry because of an accident or breakdown and the expected time to get some kip is gone and they turn up to a meeting cream crackered.Seems it is often small jurneys which don't really give you much time to get some decent sleep.If you travel 60 or 90 minutes to an airport and then check in and wait and then have a 60.90 minute flight etc where is the time for a deep sleep?

• Like 1

Id say riders caught with recreational drugs in their system would of been taking it away from meetings, cant honestly see the benefit of taking speed, cocaine, ecstacy etc whilst riding a speedway bike, the riders themselves would know exactly how dangerous it is.

Id say riders caught with recreational drugs in their system would of been taking it away from meetings, cant honestly see the benefit of taking speed, cocaine, ecstacy etc whilst riding a speedway bike, the riders themselves would know exactly how dangerous it is.

It may be a generational thing but I fail to understand why anyone would want to put that filthy stuff into their systems anyway.

• Like 1

It may be a generational thing but I fail to understand why anyone would want to put that filthy stuff into their systems anyway.

If you can't have a good time without resorting to using artificial stuff to enjoy life, your life really needs sorting out IMO

• Like 8

Yet plenty of your generation would have consumed alcohol and tobacco, both of which when you look at pretty much any study are considered far more harmful to both user and others than drugs like ecstacy.

Obviously no recreational drug is good for you , bit there is a world of difference between say ecstacy and crystal meth.

Yet plenty of your generation would have consumed alcohol and tobacco, both of which when you look at pretty much any study are considered far more harmful to both user and others than drugs like ecstacy.

Obviously no recreational drug is good for you , bit there is a world of difference between say ecstacy and crystal meth.

There is one fundamental difference, whether it suits your agenda or not. Alcohol and tobacco are legal, whether you think that's right or not.

It's the usual excuse of the user.

For those that may not have read the article by Peter Oakes in this week's Speedway Star, the 'Speedway Control Bureau are ready to step up their testing between now and the end of this season'.

This follows 'several anonymous calls to UKAD (UK Anti-Doping) naming at least 3 riders who are suspected of doping'.

UKAD immediately contacted SCB Prime Officer Graham Reeve who has already prepared a timetable of testing.

'It is understood that some tests would already have been carried out had the weather not intervened'!!!

This is confusing.

How come UKAD have delegated the job of drug testing to the SCB? I know that the Speedway Authorities in this country are pretty good at extracting the urine, but I doubt they are qualified to extract blood.

According to the UKAD web site, the procedures for carrying out drugs tests are well laid down, and don't seem to be "delegatable".

Why say that the weather has interfered with drugs testing? Looking at the press, sports people in other sports (Rio Ferdinand springs to mind) have gotten into trouble for not making their movements known for spot checks to be carried out any time, any place. in theory therefore, a properly organised drugs test could have been done on a rider given only hours notice, with the testers going to where they are, not just waiting in the pits at a rained-off meeting, where they could be conveniently avoided by a mysterious van breakdown, or made-up-injury.

This strikes me as being one of two things. Either the story as it's presented here has become distorted from the truth, OR the SCB have made a right hash of their drugs testing by announcing it to the public in terms that don't stack up to reality, showing they up to be a shambles of an organisation.

How come UKAD have delegated the job of drug testing to the SCB? I know that the Speedway Authorities in this country are pretty good at extracting the urine, but I doubt they are qualified to extract blood.

None of the motor sports federations seem to be listed by UKAD. Could be any number of reasons - they've haven't signed up with UKAD, they're not considered high risk sports in terms of doping by UKAD, or the sports themselves are just too irrelevant for UKAD to expend resources on.

UKAD maybe received the tipoffs but hasn't got any authority to test in speedway, so could only pass on the information to the SCB.

• Like 1

Probably some sort of adrenalin booster would help, it would remove fear, or most of it...

Thats easily available in cold and Flu tablets, what are the parameters for the test, are they testing for recreational drugs, performance enhancing?

None of the motor sports federations seem to be listed by UKAD. Could be any number of reasons - they've haven't signed up with UKAD, they're not considered high risk sports in terms of doping by UKAD, or the sports themselves are just too irrelevant for UKAD to expend resources on.

UKAD maybe received the tipoffs but hasn't got any authority to test in speedway, so could only pass on the information to the SCB.

Sounds most probable. Then the samples for the tests open to the SCB could be taken by any authorised (not necessarily qualified) sample taker and sent away for analysis. As long as the sample is taken and handled in accordance with laid-down procedure and the paperwork filled in correctly the results would be fine for SCB purposes.

There is another, cheaper test available to the SCB, the dip-in-the-sample type carried out on the spot but this will most likely label the previously mentioned poppy seed bagel lover a junkie.

Edited by Barney Rabbit
  • Like 1

Totally agree, there is more than one way of going about such a programme. As usual uk martin chose two improbable options, for no other reason than to have his usual supercilious pop at either the BSPA or the SCB regardless.

i think the small procedure that is, or was planned, got out and now the SCB have come out and outlined their procedure that could not be fully implemented because of the many rainoffs. I don't think there is anything lost by it's early disclosure, as dopers will probably heed the warning and get caught eventually, or give it up during the speedway season. It's really a no lose situation and I hope the test continue for the rest of the year then be evaluated.

If you can't have a good time without resorting to using artificial stuff to enjoy life, your life really needs sorting out IMO

I'm of the generation (I hope anyway being on 31) where I think most have tried illegal drugs but its never once appealed to me. I've been offered and had a few opportunities to try it but it's not for me. I know numerous freinds who have, I know one of my neighbours dabbles and my answer is always as long as it doesn't effect me I couldn't give a crap what anyone else does. BUT I do understand why they do it. What I don't get is why anyone would smoke, it may be legally but the effects are catastrophic but because they're not so quick or in your face people don't seem to mind. Knowing what we know now I'm not surer why anyone under the age of 30 smokes.

I'm of the generation (I hope anyway being on 31) where I think most have tried illegal drugs but its never once appealed to me. I've been offered and had a few opportunities to try it but it's not for me. I know numerous freinds who have, I know one of my neighbours dabbles and my answer is always as long as it doesn't effect me I couldn't give a crap what anyone else does. BUT I do understand why they do it. What I don't get is why anyone would smoke, it may be legally but the effects are catastrophic but because they're not so quick or in your face people don't seem to mind. Knowing what we know now I'm not surer why anyone under the age of 30 smokes.

I don't smoke either. I tried it for a while - then I got some sense.

You are definitely right though - the effects are catastrophic.

That made me giggle ukm!

I was told a few years ago by a rider that they were all issued a list of banned substances at the start of the season and it was quite comprehensive. Any rider with hayfever if stuffed as from memory it included all antihystaminies and the only things you could use was a saline nasal rinse.

Its definitely not new, there have been tests done in the past and there have been advisory lists issued to the riders for some time. perhaps its just now that they are accepting they should be testing on more occassions than when they receive a tip off?