British Speedway Forum
Trevor

League Winners Shield?

I'll price up a shield and let's see if the supporters can make this one happen??

Funny how no one suggests it when Poole finish top! :D lol

Lisa we don't need one, we have plenty. :t: Smacks of desperation Lisa.

Edited by Starman2006

Why do you keep mentioning Sweden? Crowds were already going up before they changed to the qualifier and knockout cup bit format?

Read the post, it's quite clearly explained.

I'll price up a shield and let's see if the supporters can make this one happen??

There is a shield already. The Craven Shield. Give them that if it actually exists. Plus everyone already knows that it comes second to the championship

There is a shield already. The Craven Shield. Give them that if it actually exists. Plus everyone already knows that it comes second to the championship

I suggested that a few years ago in a letter that was printed in the Speedway Star.

It's common sense. There was a shield - it must be somewhere. Hand it over to the league table toppers. They get something for finishing top. And one of the great riders of British Speedway is acknowledged. Would have been particularly nice this year, with Belle Vue winning it. On Sky too.

That's the minor title. And then the teams go for the major title in the play-offs.

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

That's a good idea, in fact why not give the championship to the top team in the qualifiers and the Craven Shield to the winners of the knockout cup bit.

Everyone knows that the winners of the qualifiers comes second to the winners of the knockout cup bit so I think it would be more appropriate to give the trophy named in honour of Peter Craven to the winners of the more important bit rather than the trophy named after a minority TV channel.

I know it won't fool the clever fans, especially some of the really clever bsf fans, but the promoters could use it as a marketing tool to attract fans who don't realise that winning the cup bit is more important than the league bit.

Been tried. Wasn't a success. Craven Shield was just a secondary competition that meant very little.

Been tried. Wasn't a success. Craven Shield was just a secondary competition that meant very little.

But the Craven Shield was a completely different competition, the shield is engraved already too unless it could be altered? And would whoever has control of the shield want it used for the top of the league trophy?

Why don't we call the team top of the league Elite League Champions and the team that wins the play offs Elite League Play off champions?

Bit windy? Edging your bet?

I suggested that a few years ago in a letter that was printed in the Speedway Star.

It's common sense. There was a shield - it must be somewhere. Hand it over to the league table toppers. They get something for finishing top. And one of the great riders of British Speedway is acknowledged. Would have been particularly nice this year, with Belle Vue winning it. On Sky too.

That's the minor title. And then the teams go for the major title in the play-offs.

All the best

Rob

Far, far too simplistic and sensible for Speedway...

And a much, much too obvious thing to do....

Better to have the commentators last night going on about what an achievement it was and have zero in the way of a presentation to Belle Vue...

Never misses a way to undersell itself British Speedway...

I could not help sitting with gritted teeth last night watching the Belle Vue/Poole meeting last night on sky. Oh dear Nigel does need to get his house in order, there is not a more avid Poole supporter in the world, he was shouting and screaming every time a Poole rider won and made himself look a total idiot when he was ranting on and on that Newman was going from last to second only to go back to last in the next few yards. I know he gets a little fired up when comentating but nothing on a scale as when he is doing it when Poole are on SKy.

I truly believe the club that finishes top should recieve absolutely...........nothing other than the pick in the playoffs.

Sponsors would be confused as to who is the champions. It would be a Spaticus moment. We are champions....no we are champions.

All these Belle Vue fans trying to make someting of finishing top. Well done you get first pick. That is it.

Nothing to see here. Move along.........

• Like 2

I truly believe the club that finishes top should recieve absolutely...........nothing other than the pick in the playoffs.

Sponsors would be confused as to who is the champions. It would be a Spaticus moment. We are champions....no we are champions.

All these Belle Vue fans trying to make someting of finishing top. Well done you get first pick. That is it.

They certainly weren't bothered about it last year!! Lol :D

I'm Spartacus

The best team in the league will finish top.

Then the best team that has been able to bring in riders to replace those out of form (Joonas) or those that are injured (Hans) means that the teams who creep in have strengthened up and can be the form horses going into the play offs.

The team (Belle Vue) who have been the best team are then penalised for being successful.

Coventry came from bottom , changed a load of riders, crept in and won the league. Everyone knew if they got 4th they would be favourites. Poole were the best team that season and were robbed. Same as the season when Poole had all the momentum and changed half a team and crept in and won it.

Whoever finishes top is the best team in my eyes. Not one who can change thing to win a cup competition. That said i do enjoy watching the play offs.

• Like 2

The best team in the league will finish top.

Then the best team that has been able to bring in riders to replace those out of form (Joonas) or those that are injured (Hans) means that the teams who creep in have strengthened up and can be the form horses going into the play offs.

The team (Belle Vue) who have been the best team are then penalised for being successful.

Coventry came from bottom , changed a load of riders, crept in and won the league. Everyone knew if they got 4th they would be favourites. Poole were the best team that season and were robbed. Same as the season when Poole had all the momentum and changed half a team and crept in and won it.

Whoever finishes top is the best team in my eyes. Not one who can change thing to win a cup competition. That said i do enjoy watching the play offs.

Reasonably unbiased post from you. For a change.. See, you can do it without using a single swear word.. Impressive.. You keep posting like that and i may, take you off block. But i feel so much better not having to read your posts.

Well something creative needs to be done and the Craven Shield suggestion (not by a Belle Vue fan) is as good as any.

Not to my mind mate. Bring back the K O Cup. that would fill a lot of the gaps..

Edited by Starman2006