British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside 2017

Worth remembering that it is only six years since Lakeside staged NL speedway - the shared 'Hackney' team, featuring Ben Morley and David Mason

• Like 1

If fans are a bit naive to NL racing then if they're going to have heard of anyone over the years it would be Mason because he's been in the bottom tier so long!

There are lots of names that I'm sure fans go to NL meetings solely to watch due to the hype and anticipation around them. For example expect neutral fans to watch Mildenhall meetings for Jenkins, BV last season with Bewley, BV this season with Bickley, the IOW or Eastbourne when they had Ellis, Birmingham with the 2 Jacks and KL with Robert Lambert. Fans want to watch the next big thing and it's the NL where the begin.

Fans of national league teams maybe but with Lakeside being in the elite league I doubt many fans would no much about any rider you have just mentioned, Iam speaking purely from a Lakeside fans point of view. Obviously riders like Ellis and Lambert will be known from the elite league. I have heard of Mason but couldn't tell you a single thing about him.

I very much doubt the signing of Mason will stop fans going, a good percentage of fans including myself have no idea who most of the riders in the National league are. Also I don't think their is a rider at this level that will pull punters through the gates, people will either enjoy this standard of racing or they won't in my opinion. I will give it ago but I'll be surprised if I go back much if it's like last time.

I think the thing is its not going to persuade them to go at a time when Lakeside unquestionably needed that and you only have to see the pages of this thread to know that you are in a minority regarding riders at NL level. Morley & Wajtknecht excellent signings, Mason anything but.

You are very wrong about people not watching riders at this level just for the rider. There was a real (and not unfair) reaction when, for example, Dan Bewley didn't go to Mildenhall last season.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2

It would be pure speculation to suggest Stoneman, Smith or Hopwood. All would have been better.

Those being critical have a point - signing Mason, purely in terms of attracting fans, is a disaster. A 40 year old gater with a 6 point average is not what you need

and will actively discourage people from attending at a point when the fall from EL to NL will undoubtedly have some thinking (for right or wrong) about it anyway.

It contrasts spectacularly with the reaction of Mildenhall supporters to the signing of Armstrong. The difference being that Armstrong is of true heat leader standard, is likely to improve his starting average, is anything but a gater and is well known for his willingness to assist other members of the team.

That is precisely what an NL side and its fans want from a senior rider and Mason has none of them.

It is a danger.Some of the people who actually attend meetings are seemingly not that keen on him,whilst one of his biggest fans doesn't attend nay speedway nowadays.........

It is a whole new ball game.I personally love this level of the sport,love to see young riders making their first steps in the sport,but admit an experienced rider can help.I just hope Lakeside make a success of it and fans give this level and these riders a chance

• Like 1

I think the thing is its not going to persuade them to go at a time when Lakeside unquestionably needed that and you only have to see the pages of this thread to know that you are in a minority regarding riders at NL level. Morley & Wajtknecht excellent signings, Mason anything but.

You are very wrong about people not watching riders at this level just for the rider. There was a real (and not unfair) reaction when, for example, Dan Bewley didn't go to Mildenhall last season.

That's not what I am saying mate, Iam speaking purely from a Lakeside fans point of view when I say most probably don't no much about national league riders. I think the Lakeside fans that have decided to give this league ago will turn up regardless because most won't really no much about any rider. How many more people will really turn up if the club signed stoneman instead of mason for example? I've never seen or heard of stoneman and I guess it will be the same for a lot of Lakeside fans.

A favourite 'old chestnut" of yours. The reasons for this have been explained to you on other threads but you, who usually manage to 'drag up' items from years ago don't seem to have seen this matter clarified!

He didn't mention anyone by name, he just said David Masons biggest fan, and lo and behold, up you pop. If the cap fits........

You still don't seem to grasp the irony of constantly singing Mason's praises when

you haven't seem him ride for donkeys years and have no real idea af what he is like these days. You might as well argue that Tommy Price would be a good signing on the basis he was a good rider last time you actually saw him ride.

• Like 4

You have responded to another Post elsewhere but not actually given an answer to my original query Daytripper!

I am beginning to understand why so many posters find you so irritating.

I didn't answer the query because it is so stupid. You know as well as everyone else that statistics in Speedwáy are based onraces ridden and points scored. Names of who beat who are not recorded for GSA'. Even you must know that.

What can be said is that Mason averaged just over one bonus point per match which is nothing special. He won on average, one race in every six, so for the majority of races he was beaten by either beaten by an opposing rider or failed to record a heat advantage. Not good enough for a heatleader.

• Like 1

It has to be said that a number of third choice riders this season are not true heat leaders.the lower points limit does not help in this respect...Having said that the number of heat leaders was really limited any way..

Edited by waco

To be fair most people sitting on the fence regarding NL racing at Arena won't probably be too bothered by who is in the team and who is not, the main deciding factor which will be revealed probably in March is the cost of attending, that i have no doubt will be the deal breaker in defining whether NL racing is a viable exericse at this venue.

If they expect people to pay upwards of £15 then i would imagine the crowds being quite poor, but at this level they might only need 500 to break even?

• Like 1

Another important factor will be the race night. I just hope it's not Sunday evenings, rye tried that last year, with very disappointing attendances.

• Like 1

To be fair most people sitting on the fence regarding NL racing at Arena won't probably be too bothered by who is in the team and who is not, the main deciding factor which will be revealed probably in March is the cost of attending, that i have no doubt will be the deal breaker in defining whether NL racing is a viable exericse at this venue.

If they expect people to pay upwards of £15 then i would imagine the crowds being quite poor, but at this level they might only need 500 to break even?

I am not sure that's true. The possible Belle Vue Colts team is Bewley, Bickley, Shuttleworth, Smith, Payne, Woodhall and Woodhall. 5 brilliant young riders and 3 15 year olds, including the current British champion. That is a quite remarkable mix of youth and talent that is far more likely to attract paying fans than other line ups.

£15 for NL racing would be ridiculous. Plymouth are doing it for £10.Should be £12 adults, £10 concessions, under 16's free with accompanying adult.

Another important factor will be the race night. I just hope it's not Sunday evenings, rye tried that last year, with very disappointing attendances.

Quite agree. I really don't see how Sunday evenings (even early evenings) work. Saturday night or Sunday afternoon (or both) depending on other users.

As HT says, nobody in their right mind is going to pay £15 to watch 15 minutes of National League racing.

I believe that £12 is the absolute maximum basic admission charge for racing at this level.

And there should be promotions and incentives to get people to pitch up on a regular basis.

:t:

• Like 1

Only problem we find at Eastie is the track is always much better in the evening than the afternoon especially in the summer and I imagine that's the same at Lakeside. Ideally want to run in the evening, and Saturday but the odd 6.30 one we had on a Sunday at the tail end of the season didn't seem to make much difference to the crowd.

​The point I was making was NOT a continuation of the pros and cons of David Mason joining Lakeside Hammers. It was in response to the comment by iris123 "... one of his biggest fans doesn't attend nay speedway nowadays........." I gave a detailed response in another thread TO HIM why I do not go any more. iris123 who appears to read many BSF posts seems to have 'conveniently' not seen that one. :icon_smile_clown:

EDIT: I have found the Post in regard to my absence in recent times from attending speedway. It was in 'Whose Left" as Post 63 Jan 02 2017. It reads as follows:

i have reasons why I don't go to speedway anymore. Included is the fact that I need public transport - and my nearest track is Rye House, at least 25 miles from where I live. A rather formidable venture for somebody my age. However, I used to manage to get to Wimbledon until their closure.

::::: Here's a travel link to show what would be involved for me. A nice late night return too for me by the look of things.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Hoddesdon/Penge-West-Station

No interest in ya continious rambling, meandering posts, requesting poosters answer ya man .... but why is verything in bold

And the circle keeps going on and on! Sure if it's left alone Gustix will move on from the subject as well.

Edited by gazzac