British Speedway Forum
BurntFaceMan

The Premiership Cake Shop

Let's pretend for a second that Premiership speedway is a cake company, and you are the director.

We've been making cakes now for over 60 years and supplying them to customers all over the country. Unfortunately, our cakes have been through a rough patch and we now don't have as much money to invest in our cakes as we once did. As a result of this, the decision has been taken to reduce the cost of the cakes. In order to achieve this we are now using a slightly lesser quality flour but we are keeping the price of the cakes the same.

The new cakes have been out there for almost a year now and the sales have dropped further... the customers do not like the changes we have made to the cakes. The customers tell us that the quality of the cake is not good enough. They feel that for the price they are paying, the quality of the cake simply is not good enough. We now don't have as much money to invest in our cakes as we once did. As a result of this, the decision has been made to reduce the cost of the cakes. In order to achieve this we are now using a much lesser quality flour, and we're reducing the amount of icing we use, but we are now increasing the price of our cakes.

The newer cakes have been out there for almost a year now and the sales have... dropped much further. The customers do not like the changes we have made to the cakes. The customers tell us that the quality of the cakes have deteriorated drastically from what they once knew and loved. The price of the cakes are simply far too high for the quality they are offering.

Director 1 says:

"The quality of the cakes must be improved. We must invest in using the best flour, the icing must be plentiful, and the customer should feel like they are receiving a premium product for their money. Once we've made these changes, we must get out there and inform all our existing and prospective customers of the quality of our cakes. We must show them that the money we are asking is worth every bite of our delicious cakes. This will bring the customers back."

Director 2 says:

"The reduction of customers is nothing to do with the quality of our cakes. We must cut our costs further. We must reduce the quality of our flour, cut back further on the icing and reduce our packaging. We need to make these cakes as cheap as we possibly can. Nothing we can do will increase the customer base, we must simply continue to reduce costs and keep hold of as many of the few remaining customers we have."

Which director do you think will save the Premiership cake company?

Edited by BurntFaceMan
  • Like 2

The second director.

There are a lot of casual followers in speedway and to keep them constantly coming is a challenge.

They don't care about rules or rider strength. They care about how cold it is on a night out, if they can afford to take the kids or how the facilities and food are.

Die hards will always go and if they don't, they wont.

Speedway would be in a much better shape if all tracks sold cakes.

• Like 5

Speedway would be in a much better shape if all tracks sold cakes.

Do you like a good old tart now and again😜i like a nice bit of Larde cake now and again do you like it.? Edited by Sidney the robin

I think with most companies especially the big ones they are always looking to make their products cheaper.And that almost certainly means the materials.

I think perhaps they've been using what they thought was the best flour, but deliveries often didn't turn up, and when they did it turned out the flour company was sending them B-grade batches half the time. Maybe a less expensive and more local flour supplier would result in a better and more consistent product.

• Like 1

I think they would be better getting all the other Companies who compete in the same market place to allow them to use their cakes and pass them off to the public as if they were their own..😀

Perhaps we being selling too many Danish pasteries and Sernik in the past?

I want to be able to have my cake AND eat it!.....er um. .......errrr. ....I'll get me cake.. I mean coat. 😱

Edited by Sniffy

Have you considered changing the name of your cakes and hoping no one notices the drop in quality?

• Like 4

or maybe go down the toblerone route, less heats (chocolate) for the same money

Think you've nailed it with that

Not only is it less heats, the gap between them is bigger so from the outside it looks the same as it's always been.