British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Does British Speedway Have Future?

In regards to season ticket prices and the savings made / ability for clubs to get a lump sum early what if clubs sold tickets in smaller batches? E.g £50 for 5 entry tickets up front? Some people are put off season tickets as it's a large up front amount / that might not be able to attend all matches but by selling in smaller denominations it gets cash in the coffers and passes savings on to repeat visitors

Another really good idea, and 5 tickets @ £50 to use at any home meetings would be reasonably priced Xmas present to someone who would not normally attend, and you never know they might get to like it ? An excellent loss-leader to get new people through the gate

• Like 5

Maybe something worth considering, to get more people through the turnstiles, is to offer reciprocal discounted offers with other clubs, especially to season ticket holders.

As an example...say Somerset were racing at home against Swindon, then all the other Clubs fans, who had a season ticket with their own club, were entitled entrance at 50% discount on showing their season ticket at the turnstile. This could be reciprocated amongst all clubs in the leagues.

Speedway Clubs, could also approach other sporting clubs, and agree reciprocal arrangements with them as well. Approach the nearest cricket, rugby and football clubs. If a season ticket holder, reward that loyalty. Offer discounted entrance at other events.

They do this at a local football Club I attend. I have a season ticket at another club, and often go to this other club when my team isn't playing at home. It's 50% discount. By all accounts it has drawn in many new fans and bolsters income.

• Like 1

Maybe something worth considering, to get more people through the turnstiles, is to offer reciprocal discounted offers with other clubs, especially to season ticket holders.

As an example...say Somerset were racing at home against Swindon, then all the other Clubs fans, who had a season ticket with their own club, were entitled entrance at 50% discount on showing their season ticket at the turnstile. This could be reciprocated amongst all clubs in the leagues.

Speedway Clubs, could also approach other sporting clubs, and agree reciprocal arrangements with them as well. Approach the nearest cricket, rugby and football clubs. If a season ticket holder, reward that loyalty. Offer discounted entrance at other events.

They do this at a local football Club I attend. I have a season ticket at another club, and often go to this other club when my team isn't playing at home. It's 50% discount. By all accounts it has drawn in many new fans and bolsters income.

We have been saying something similar for years, would be nice if those fans who do their team's away matches could have a little perk given the fact that travel and potential days off can be costly, shows we are appreciated ......
  • Like 3

Some intelligent debate. Good on yer.

What a splendid idea regarding season ticket holders. Not only would it encourage fans to other enues, it would increase the number of home fans buying season tickets. At Brandon it has been a mrginal decision whether to buy a season ticket for some time. Miss a few meetings and you would be out of pocket. But if buying one meant that I could get significant discount elsewhere, I would buy one and I would travel more. The sport gets more of my hard earned and I see more speedway. Win, win!

• Like 2

The App idea is a solid one for all ages perhaps something along the lines of predict the race result and the individual closest to the correct results throughout the match gets xxxx. It would need to be developed by an outsider though and then sold to individual clubs

SCB??? That is Shawn, sure you could sort something? Like this idea 😊

The answer to the question is 'Yes'. People were talking about it dying 30 years ago and more but its still here.

I hate to bang on about Isle of Wight (and apologise for doing so) but to me they set a standard that others should at least consider. I have been to every British track in the last two seasons and did 80 meetings at 23 last year, so I think I have some qualification to make a fair comparison.

First of all, its about making sure people know about the existence of a speedway track. Their efforts have been amazing - posters, leaflets, flyers, adverts, shows, stands - you name it, they do it.

Anyone seen an advert at Eastbourne ? Thought not.

The cost for two adults and two children is £22, comparable with any other evening entertainment and about 30% cheaper than a visit to the cinema.

Poole can set you back nearer £50.

They have two of the best presenters in the game - Bryn Williams & Tim Allan. Compare that with star of the show Peter York at Coventry, that annoying bloke in the middle at Plymouth, the unbelievably dreary chap in the box at Glasgow (I was told - as a joke - that he worked for an undertaker and for a moment believed it) or the centre green man at Birmingham, who has the charisma of a moose.

Then there's the racing. Pretty good, in fact. The tracks that could learn a lesson from this are numerous but lets name Sheffield, Kent & Leicester for a start.

There's also what they put on over and above that, particularly for the youngsters (who, of course, bring their parents). Face painting, bike racing, meetings with riders, centre green visits. When I was there last season, a group of away fans were taken into the middle. That's unheard of.

Finally there's the attitude of the promotion. Pretty incredible by speedway standards, I'd say. For a start, they are highly visible on race nights. Fair criticism is not met by abuse, aggression and hostility, but by someone actually listening, taking on board what you say and giving you feedback even if that is to say that they disagree. Then there's the story of young Callum Gouldbourne, who I don't think it is an exaggeration to say has literally had his life changed by the promotion and riders at the club.

Buxton or Redcar could learn a few lessons from this, and we won't even go near Stoke.

What is amazing (and indeed infuriating) is that none of the above is difficult, time consuming, expensive (aside from the initial outlay,the advertising is met by sponsors) or even inobvious. Its all just about a bit more care and effort for the needs of customers, both individually and collectively. As such, any promotion could do exactly the same.

The pay off ? When I went to Isle of Wight in 2012 the gate at bank holiday time was about 300. This year, it had probably doubled.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 5

The answer to the question is 'Yes'. People were talking about it dying 30 years ago and more but its still here.

I hate to bang on about Isle of Wight (and apologise for doing so) but to me they set a standard that others should at least consider. I have been to every British track in the last two seasons and did 80 meetings at 23 last year, so I think I have some qualification to make a fair comparison.

First of all, its about making sure people know about the existence of a speedway track. Their efforts have been amazing - posters, leaflets, flyers, adverts, shows, stands - you name it, they do it.

Anyone seen an advert at Eastbourne ? Thought not.

The cost for two adults and two children is £22, comparable with any other evening entertainment and about 30% cheaper than a visit to the cinema.

Poole can set you back nearer £50.

They have two of the best presenters in the game - Bryn Williams & Tim Allan. Compare that with star of the show Peter York at Coventry, that annoying bloke in the middle at Plymouth, the unbelievably dreary chap in the box at Glasgow (I was told - as a joke - that he worked for an undertaker and for a moment believed it) or the centre green man at Birmingham, who has the charisma of a moose.

Then there's the racing. Pretty good, in fact. The tracks that could learn a lesson from this are numerous but lets name Sheffield, Kent & Leicester for a start.

There's also what they put on over and above that, particularly for the youngsters (who, of course, bring their parents). Face painting, bike racing, meetings with riders, centre green visits. When I was there last season, a group of away fans were taken into the middle. That's unheard of.

Finally there's the attitude of the promotion. Pretty incredible by speedway standards, I'd say. For a start, they are highly visible on race nights. Fair criticism is not met by abuse, aggression and hostility, but by someone actually listening, taking on board what you say and giving you feedback even if that is to say that they disagree. Then there's the story of young Callum Gouldbourne, who I don't think it is an exaggeration to say has literally had his life changed by the promotion and riders at the club.

Buxton or Redcar could learn a few lessons from this, and we won't even go near Stoke.

What is amazing (and indeed infuriating) is that none of the above is difficult, time consuming, expensive (aside from the initial outlay,the advertising is met by sponsors) or even inobvious. Its all just about a bit more care and effort for the needs of customers, both individually and collectively. As such, any promotion could do exactly the same.

The pay off ? When I went to Isle of Wight in 2012 the gate at bank holiday time was about 300. This year, it had probably doubled.

A lot of good observations except that Redcar will be a whole different ball game in 2017

• Like 3

As technology becomes more and more advanced, maybe we need to make attending a match a more 'interactive' experience.

Most people have smartphones these days so why not insist that every rider wears a helmetcam and spectators can follow the race 'live' and get the feeling of how exhilerating riding a 500cc motorcycle with no brakes actualy is? (it may even tempt one or two to give it a try), There could be apps developed which would allow you to switch between riders or maybe even let the fans see what the referee sees. A small charge could be levied as well.

You could also have fans predicting the outcome of the following race by pressing the relevant button on their phone with a prize if anyone got them all right at the end of the night. There could even be a predictor league competition between fans. A decent presenter announcing the 'fans choice' before each race could get a bit of a reaction as well.

• Like 2

As technology becomes more and more advanced, maybe we need to make attending a match a more 'interactive' experience.

Most people have smartphones these days so why not insist that every rider wears a helmetcam and spectators can follow the race 'live' and get the feeling of how exhilerating riding a 500cc motorcycle with no brakes actualy is? (it may even tempt one or two to give it a try), There could be apps developed which would allow you to switch between riders or maybe even let the fans see what the referee sees. A small charge could be levied as well.

You could also have fans predicting the outcome of the following race by pressing the relevant button on their phone with a prize if anyone got them all right at the end of the night. There could even be a predictor league competition between fans. A decent presenter announcing the 'fans choice' before each race could get a bit of a reaction as well.

I think that helmet cams have been banned due to their detrimental effect on a helmets ability to absorb impact.

I think that helmet cams have been banned due to their detrimental effect on a helmets ability to absorb impact.

Ah, fair enough.

A lot of good observations except that Redcar will be a whole different ball game in 2017

I hope very much that you are right.

As i put on another thread there is now a drone that follows a sportsperson.Whether it would be safe enough to fly over a track and whether it would be safe enough to have 4 individual drones following the 4 riders is another thing though

https://www.airdog.com/

Edited by iris123

This is ok for individuals with a reasonable disposable income but the type of person that we need to attend speedway meetings does not have that kind of money.

I would be far happier with 1000 people paying £10 than 500 paying £18. It would bring in more money create more atmosphere and they are more likely to buy food, drink and memorabillia etc. Where as people like me will take a flask plus sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper lol.

How can speedway justify the eye watering admission prices when the stadfiums are closing and empty?

• Like 2

This is ok for individuals with a reasonable disposable income but the type of person that we need to attend speedway meetings does not have that kind of money.

Seems a strange strategy.Targeting not so well off people as your potential customers......

• Like 1