British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Does British Speedway Have Future?

Ironically but, In the case with Rob asking for the 2 minutes on, he could have known that an opposition rider out next was having a problem, and was changing/warming bikes. :D

Even if that was true it would be irrelevant, you cant hold up a meeting because someone is having bike problems, unless after a crash,

Even if that was true it would be irrelevant, you cant hold up a meeting because someone is having bike problems, unless after a crash,

it does go on

Yes it's happens and many other things fans don't see.

As we have spoke about on numerous occasions , once clubs stop trying to gain an advantage with dodgy track prep and start preparing tracks to maximise the entertainment value , the better the sport will become .

That should be NUMBER ONE PRIORITY for all promotions Imo!
  • Like 1

Better live than on television? Hmmm! Not in my book as modern ( this century ) broadcast racing is vastly better. You can even see a replay of the millisecond incident you missed on the terraces AND get an expert presenter informing you of what went on and keeping you in the loop of what is happening ( as it happens ). The product live in the stadium is vastly inferior due to long drawn out ( mostly unnecessary ) delays between races. Much better efforts are made with track preparation at some stadiums when the TV cameras are there! More effort is made to produce fairer, competitive racing ( and the possibility of passing ) when the match is broadcast. Everything is sharpened up then including presentation.

• Like 1

Better live than on television? Hmmm! Not in my book as modern ( this century ) broadcast racing is vastly better. You can even see a replay of the millisecond incident you missed on the terraces AND get an expert presenter informing you of what went on and keeping you in the loop of what is happening ( as it happens ). The product live in the stadium is vastly inferior due to long drawn out ( mostly unnecessary ) delays between races. Much better efforts are made with track preparation at some stadiums when the TV cameras are there! More effort is made to produce fairer, competitive racing ( and the possibility of passing ) when the match is broadcast. Everything is sharpened up then including presentation.

All true.

It would be a very brave sport that tried it, but I wonder if we are heading in the direction of live sport being free? Speedway isn't the only sport to struggle with attendances. And this post is right, the quality of broadcast is frequently superior to the reality of attending live league speedway. I cringe when I think of a newbe catching a GP live on TV and then wandering down to Plymouth or the like expecting something similar. And at a greater cost!

That gap is only going to get wider. A better way might be to build speedway businesses around letting people in for free and making it commercially viable via quality food and drink and more advertising revenue due to a wider live audience? Very risky I know, but speedway is now competing in a world where the digital offering is often far better than the reality. It's also far cheaper and very often free. The younger generations aren't even parting with pennies to pay for newspapers when news is readily available for free. Why would they pay £60-80 for live speedway at their local track for a month when Netflix (and chill!) costs £7.99?

Sooner or later, speedway is going to have to address this.

Edited by falcace

Better live IMO. The smell and the noise all add to the experience.

• Like 3

The live atmosphere, pie and peas, interaction with fellow supporters, being out in the open air (summer time), and one off's like the G.P just being part of it. Any more?

• Like 1

The live atmosphere, pie and peas, interaction with fellow supporters, being out in the open air (summer time), and one off's like the G.P just being part of it. Any more?

Watching speedway live (and it shouldn't be broadcasted live on TV - too much pontificating from the experts - edited highlights instead, a far better package) The aroma (certainly in the good old days), atmosphere, meeting up with fellow enthusiasts, enjoying sausage & chips, being able to take in the whole race and not what the editor chooses (often the front runners therefore missing the action at the back) etc.

Is there too much Speedway on tv now?Who would have thought that about 10 yrs ago.

Why should fans ever leave the living room with British speedway , Sgp, Wtc, Sec and some Swedish speedway on TV and also the live streaming of some meetings.

Personally it's live Speedway for me but the GPS are very good entertainment

Is there too much Speedway on tv now?Who would have thought that about 10 yrs ago.

Why should fans ever leave the living room with British speedway , Sgp, Wtc, Sec and some Swedish speedway on TV and also the live streaming of some meetings.

Personally it's live Speedway for me but the GPS are very good entertainment

That's the big dilemma; we want it on t.v. for publicity so that we get the terraces full to make it pay so that we have speedway to show on t.v. :neutral:

Better live in some ways, better on tv in others.

The atmosphere, speed, noise, crowd banter and to a lesser extent than years ago, the smell, are all better live. As well as being out in the fresh air which is sooooo much healthier than sitting on your bum on ya settee!

TV is good for interviews, replays and stats.

It pees me off that the fans are ignored to some extent on TV nights though, one of the main things being no winners parade, this should be sorted 100%.

Edited by Trees

Speedway looks so much better at nite too, under decent floods. Also usually better racing...

I think the first thing to do is to charge realistic admission prices. How can I justify £42 every week plus the odd away match for myself and my wife? It's not the money but what am I getting for this.

Santa Pod went down this route and went bust 3 times before a realist took over. A full days racing 9 hours, bikes, cars all classes 240+ mph costs us about £40 for a National event. Come on Speedway get into the real world !!!