British Speedway Forum
daveallan81

They Came, They Saw, They Conquered, They Never Came Back

I was compiling a list of all riders who took part in official (league, KOC, 4TT) matches at the salubrious Craighead Park during it's years of operation, 1982-86. Once completed I found that only one rider was unbeaten, winning all 4 rides in his sole appearance. Checking further I found he also won both his second half heats. One match, full house, wages in the pocket, never to return.

Further checking found a second rider. Shawn Moran won all six races (and took the track record) during Jim Beaton's testimonial meeting. But as it wasn't an 'official' match it wasn't considered so the winner of the King of Craighead Park title is...you wouldn't guess this in a million years...Paul Woods. Aye. Really.

All of which got me thinking. Is Woods a reasonably unique case? How many other riders made just one official appearance at a track, cleaned up, and never returned? Obviously 2nd half races might be hard to confirm but I think any rider who banged in a maximum is worthy of mention. The logistics of this has me wondering if it is quite a rare case, although that is tempered by the feeling I could also be hit with a mammoth list.

Anyway, official matches only, no individual events. Full internationals are ok (might throw up a few names). One ride wonders considered.

• Like 1

David Shields scored 9+2 from four rides at Newcastle in 1978 (don't know about the second half) and to the best of my belief never rode there again. Okay not a maximum but a good effort for a rider who turned up at Cowley in 1978 as an unknown and scored well wherever he went before disappearing at the end of that season.

He re-appeared in 1982(?) for Cradley Heath riding as a reserve cum second string but his early potential wasn't really built upon in my view.

• Like 1

David Shields scored 9+2 from four rides at Newcastle in 1978 (don't know about the second half) and to the best of my belief never rode there again. Okay not a maximum but a good effort for a rider who turned up at Cowley in 1978 as an unknown and scored well wherever he went before disappearing at the end of that season.

He re-appeared in 1982(?) for Cradley Heath riding as a reserve cum second string but his early potential wasn't really built upon in my view.

Edited because I'm getting my David's mixed up.

Shields returned in 1981. Decent shout, just missing the maximum.

Edited by daveallan81

Dave Shields

What a rider he was, John Hack and him at reserve for the Cheetahs

I did hear that he still has the black leathers with the yellow handprint on the bum and they still fit him !

• Like 1

Let us cast our minds back to Camberley, 7 May 1927. C. Harman won the 350 and 500 cc events as well as the sidecar race at the only meeting ever held there as a 440 yard track as it was later lengthened to 1,056 yards. So he came, saw and conquered but never came back (although nor did anyone else!) But was it a real speedway track? Sand surface, clockwise racing....If it counts as real speedway, there is no question he was the first!

Edited by norbold

Ron How (Oxford) made one visit to Somerton Park, Newport, in official matches (i.e. excluding challenge matches), scoring a 15 point maximum on 14th May 1965, although he was beaten in the Kings of Oxford challenge match on July 2nd. He was also heading for a 12 point maximum on his one visit to Cradley Heath on 26th June 1965 when he suffered machine failure in his fourth ride.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 1

Dave was a terrific reserve for us in 1981 and played a key role in securing the league title. Averaged 6.12 from reserve in the league, one wonders how far he would have gone in the sport if he had returned in 1982.

As far as the OP is concerned - tough one. I guess you're looking for tracks that may have only had short spells in a particular division?

I seem to remember Dave Younghusband had a long spell unbeaten at Dudley Wood at the start of the British League era (about 4 visits I think), unfortunately when he returned as a Heathen for a short spell, following a bad injury, he was almost the polar opposite of unbeaten.

• Like 2

Dave was a terrific reserve for us in 1981 and played a key role in securing the league title. Averaged 6.12 from reserve in the league, one wonders how far he would have gone in the sport if he had returned in 1982.

As far as the OP is concerned - tough one. I guess you're looking for tracks that may have only had short spells in a particular division?

I seem to remember Dave Younghusband had a long spell unbeaten at Dudley Wood at the start of the British League era (about 4 visits I think), unfortunately when he returned as a Heathen for a short spell, following a bad injury, he was almost the polar opposite of unbeaten.

Dave Younghusband scored three successive 12 point maximums for Halifax in league matches at Dudley Wood in 1966/7/8, but the 1965 fixture was not staged. In his other appearance at the track in 1966 (World Championship British Semi Final) he was beaten in two of his 5 rides (a last place and a second) and was then last in a third place run-off between 4 riders. We had value for money at that meeting as there was also a run-off between Trevor Hedge and Colin Pratt for first place.

• Like 3

Long Eaton's Tony Lomas scored a 12-point maximum on his one visit to Doncaster (BL2) on 27th July, 1969.

Exeter's Len Silver scored a 12-point maximum on his one visit to Bradford Greenfields (PL) on 1st June, 1962.

Almost, but not quite... Also at Greenfields in 1962, Eric Boothroyd made three official appearances; a 15pt max (PL) on 4th May, a 12pt max (PL) on 25th September, and a 14pt return (from a possible 15) in the PL Riders' Championship QR.

On 8th May, 1948, Wally Green scored a 12pt maximum for Hastings at Hull's Hedon Stadium in a National League Div 3 contest.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Johnny Hole scored a 12 point maximum for Bristol at Yarmouth on 28th June 1960 on what I believe was his only visit in an official fixture.

Edited by BL65

Great stuff chaps.Is there any chance that someone got a max at Shelbourne and never returned?

Great stuff chaps.Is there any chance that someone got a max at Shelbourne and never returned?

Derek Close recorded a 12 point maximum for Newcastle at Shelbourne on 10th June 1951. Unfortunately, he fell in the All Star Scratch Race in the second half.

• Like 1

The achievement of Southampton's Alf Bottoms against Wombwell in 1948 is worthy of a mention here.

13th April at Southampton (National Trophy) paid 18 point maximum (17+1)

23rd April at Wombwell (National Trophy) 18 point maximum

22nd June at Southampton (National League) 12 point maximum

9th July at Wombwell (National League) 12 point maximum

24th September at Wombwell (National League) 12 point maximum

12th October at Southampton (National League) 12 point maximum

George Bason was the team-mate who finished ahead of him on 13th April, in a meeting which Southampton won 89-19. Harwood Pike took second place in the final heat to prevent a complete whitewash.

I have no record of any other appearances by Alf Bottoms at Wombwell.

Edited by BL65