British Speedway Forum
Nobblytriers

Uncertainty Over Teams And Sky Tv

Reading that 2015 story over TV rights does help speedway fans to get it into perspective that speedway is very much a tiny minority niche sport as it just crept in before darts and snooker ( both of which generate more money as a "sport" than speedway ). I will be amazed and pleased if there is Sky coverage of the 2017 speedway season but doubt very much if a renewal of the contract beyond then is being seriously considered by Sky or BT!

It would be sad if TV coverage of the Premier league was to cease this year, but I have concerns at the end of 2018 whether the speedway GP's will be on TV, currently BT.

I think MotoGP is safe because of its support, but speedway continuing could be a bit iffy.

It would be sad if TV coverage of the Premier league was to cease this year, but I have concerns at the end of 2018 whether the speedway GP's will be on TV, currently BT.

I think MotoGP is safe because of its support, but speedway continuing could be a bit iffy.

I hope you are wrong on this OveFundinFan.

With today's announcement about the demise of Coventry Bees, where does this now leave the sport?

I read that the SkySports contract requires 8 competing teams. Well the BSPA's actions now make that contract teetering on the edge, doesn't it? So if one more club folds and Sky walk away from the contract, and the teams get no coverage and sponsorship money from Sky, what will be the domino effect from this on the rest of the teams in the top leagues?

Edited by uk martin

With today's announcement about the demise of Coventry Bees, where does this now leave the sport?

I read that the SkySports contract requires 8 competing teams. Well the BSPA's actions now make that contract null and void, doesn't it? So if Sky walk away from the contract, and the teams get no coverage and sponsorship money from Sky, what will be the domino effect from this on the rest of the teams in the top leagues?

Sad news indeed. Closure of yet another iconic stadium. Personally I can't see how speedway can survive in anything like it's present format at this rate.

Worst News in a long time this. One of the most famous Tracks in Speedway closing down. Coventry 'Bees' are a great part of Speedway's history.

Let us all indeed hope that this is temporary - but it is far easier to close a Track than to open, or even reopen one. My sympathies here are with the Supporters - I know what it is like - I lost my Track too.

It was intimated that Speedway would return to Sunderland after about nine Meetings in 1964. It never happened - until 1971.

I sincerely hope that Coventry will come back again - but - I suppose we must wait and see.

Very, very sad.

Pay view TV and Speedway are not compatible and Speedway has never been much of a spectacle on terrestrial TV. What we need is spectators, spectators, spectators. how will we get them......by cutting overheads revitalising the entrtainment value of racing and charging realistic admission prices. I'm afraid in it's current form game over.

I read that the SkySports contract requires 8 competing teams. Well the BSPA's actions now make that contract teetering on the edge, doesn't it? So if one more club folds and Sky walk away from the contract, and the teams get no coverage and sponsorship money from Sky, what will be the domino effect from this on the rest of the teams in the top leagues?

We had 9 teams, we now have 8 so no issue.

I don't know if Sky are showing league speedway this year, but they probably had a contract to show "Elite League Speedway" - and the BSPA have ensured that the Elite League no longer exists. So if Sky want a get-out they probably have one right there.

We had 9 teams, we now have 8 so no issue.

Just ignore UK Steve, as he usually only makes appearances when there appears/might be bad news about. He just a doom merchant with his head in Polish speedway.

• Like 1

Just ignore UK Steve, as he usually only makes appearances when there appears/might be bad news about. He just a doom merchant with his head in Polish speedway.

So you would say he was up the Pole? :t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Can't comment on his sex life Ian. :shock:

• Like 1

Can't comment on his sex life Ian. :shock:

Naughty boy. :shock::t::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"Up the Pole" was also a 1970's game!! A cross between "Kerplunk" "Hang on Harvey" "Marble Run" and "Jenga"

• Like 1

"Up the Pole" was also a 1970's game!! A cross between "Kerplunk" "Hang on Harvey" "Marble Run" and "Jenga"

It was also a BBC radio comedy (1940's, so Tsunami will remember it :P ) with Jimmy Jewel and Ben Warriss. The premise of Up the Pole was that Jewel and Warriss were the proprietors of an Arctic trading post. Each episode included a musical interlude, sometimes including a young Julie Andrews.

Edited by Steve Park