British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

Do You Remember The 70's & 80's When Uk Teams Signed Unknown Foreigners? Some Good, Most Were Pants!

On 2/2/2017 at 7:13 PM, bruno said:

I remember Pepe hautamaki at Cradley struggling when he first joined but did he turn out ok in the end, it's been a while. Knocking on 40 years, unbelievable

I remember Pekka had a habit of winning the reserves race in the 2nd half, then the heat that qualified him for and then a few times the final with some world class riders unable to pass him. 

In those days the 2nd half was a real event in its own right, often with a sponsored points prize at the end if the season that home heat leaders would really race for. 

You'd also see away stars wanting to get one over the home riders. 

Sadly today's breed just want to earn more than Clubs can afford for minimal effort. 

• Like 2

Krause kjaer Coventry 1974,stein roar Pedersen Bristol 1977 1 ride no points,uno johansson reading 1982,mark cherry Birmingham 1976 and Tommy Peterson birmingham1976,Bristol 1977,leicester 1977.

5 hours ago, M.D said:

True, Lillebror came in mid season and did a season and a half, looked good in places.

What a top four though, GK, Kelly and Ron as a top 3...

I'm sure he scored double figures at Swindon in 1982 when "The Eagles" won in a late season match?

On 1/26/2024 at 1:32 PM, Tracy Bird said:

Krause kjaer Coventry 1974,stein roar Pedersen Bristol 1977 1 ride no points,uno johansson reading 1982,mark cherry Birmingham 1976 and Tommy Peterson birmingham1976,Bristol 1977,leicester 1977.

Don't forget that Uno Johansson also rode a couple of matches for Belle Vue in 1978, scoring one point.

Another one who hasn't been mentioned is Jorn Haugvaldstad, who rode four matches for Halifax in 1980, without troubling the scorekeepers...

I remember watching someone ride in the 2nd half at Belle Vue called "Charlie Brown"...

His real name turned out to be Giuseppe Marzotto, and rather than being an animated American cartoon character, he was actually an Italian fella....

Wonder what happened to him? 

Couldn't see him making a career in Speedway to be honest... ;)

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I remember watching someone ride in the 2nd half at Belle Vue called "Charlie Brown"...

His real name turned out to be Giuseppe Marzotto, and rather than being an animated American cartoon character, he was actually an Italian fella....

Yeah, well he rode for peanuts, I think...

• Haha 2

Giuseppe rode eleven meetings for Wolves in 1976, achieving a 3.22 average.

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

He certainly made an "initial" impact.

On 2/1/2017 at 7:21 PM, Sidney the robin said:
On 2/1/2017 at 7:15 PM, steve roberts said:

Oxford signed Helge Langli who could have made it (he did beat Ray Wilson in one memorable ride at Cowley I recall) but he picked up an injury off track and never re-appeared...more's the pity! Of course his brother, Tormod, appeared at Newport and was more than useful when he, too, was injured off track (hand-gliding accident).

Coventry signed East German Gerhard Ullenbrock on the recommendation of one Garry Middleton. Matti Olin (Finland) was also another 'Bees' capture.

Ulf Lovaas Conny Samuelsson what is your opinion of those two Steve.?

Nothing wrong with Ulf Lovaas

Ulf after a slow start not helped by an early season injury began to register some decent scores. It was a shame he missed the following season (due to family commitments) and subsequent seasons because he could have gone on to be a very useful rider.

I remember Ulf signing for Cradley at the end of the 1973 season. We were a weak side to start with but ended the campaign decimated by injury - missing Persson, Cole and Cribb - the 3 heat leaders, so Ulf was definitely a sight for sore eyes in a team being patched together by guests. He acquired himself well in the circumstances and would have been welcomed back in 1974.

23 hours ago, salty said:

I remember Ulf signing for Cradley at the end of the 1973 season. We were a weak side to start with but ended the campaign decimated by injury - missing Persson, Cole and Cribb - the 3 heat leaders, so Ulf was definitely a sight for sore eyes in a team being patched together by guests. He acquired himself well in the circumstances and would have been welcomed back in 1974.

Apparently according to the late Bob Radford who was the manager at Cowley in 1974 Ulf wished to return to Cradley after signing for Oxford and agreeing terms. Bob Radford only lasted half a season before resigning his post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Apparently according to the late Bob Radford who was the manager at Cowley in 1974 Ulf wished to return to Cradley after signing for Oxford and agreeing terms. Bob Radford only lasted half a season before resigning his post.

Bob wasn't a big fan of Ulf. Nor Mike Ferreira for that matter.