British Speedway Forum

50 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I think Oxford has been a bit different in that it's always had quite a supportive local council who were wise to the games of the stadium owner, and effectively safeguarded the facility against housing development. It's been a battle of wits over the past more than decade as the owner has allowed the stadium to fall into disrepair in the hope of having it condemned, but for some reason the traditional arsonist never managed to visit to help get the job done, and the council has consistently failed to to cave in.

By contrast, Swindon Borough Council has a different political make-up that you'd think wouldn't have much time for working class sports but more time for housing developers...

...which is the very question I put the then stadium spokesperson via an email who strongly denied it. History has proved that I was correct in my assumption.

Even though Swindon has a posher more middle-class punter quite a few would make the 30-mile up the A420 to Oxford:D. I would attend if Swindon fold. Better than no speedway. Oxford and Reading peeps attended the Abbey, along with folk from Southampton, Surrey, Wales, Bristol, Bath, Cheltenham, Gloucester, ........the best supported team in Premier...A good chance for the Ox to attract fans from a massive catchment area, including London, with the right promotion. Good Luck Oxford.:t:

Edited by auntie doris

28 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Even though Swindon has a posher more middle-class punter quite a few would make the 30-mile up the A420 to Oxford:D. I would attend if Swindon fold. Better than no speedway. Oxford and Reading peeps attended the Abbey, along with folk from Southampton, Surrey, Wales, Bristol, Bath, Cheltenham, Gloucester, the best supported in Premier...A good chance for the Ox to attract fans from a massive catchment area, including London, with the right promotion. Good Luck Oxford.:t:

Congratulations you must be the first person to manage to use the words Swindon, Posher and Middleclass in the same sentence

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, auntie doris said:

Even though Swindon has a posher more middle-class punter quite a few would make the 30-mile up the A420 to Oxford:D. I would attend if Swindon fold. Better than no speedway. Oxford and Reading peeps attended the Abbey, along with folk from Southampton, Surrey, Wales, Bristol, Bath, Cheltenham, Gloucester, the best supported in Premier...A good chance for the Ox to attract fans from a massive catchment area, including London, with the right promotion. Good Luck Oxford.:t:

One of the biggest myths in speedway that   fans of closed clubs they go to watch or support other teams  ... hardly anyone from Reading ,Oxford ,Newport or Cov have ever gone to Swindon each week 

Sadly when Your  club Closes down and that might happen at Swindon you give up and you  don't go  again 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, auntie doris said:

Edited by orion
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Congratulations you must be the first person to manage to use the words Swindon, Posher and Middleclass in the same sentence

:Dwe're more into croquet, lacrosse, polo than these noisy motorsports:D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, orion said:

One of the biggest myths in speedway that   fans of closed clubs they go to watch or support other teams  ... hardly anyone from Reading ,Oxford ,Newport or Cov have ever gone to Swindon each week 

Sadly when Your  Close down and that might happen at Swindon you give up and you  don't again 

I would go to a few meetings but couldn't support the Ox.

• Haha 1

Often drive up to Oxford for shopping and mooching around but pretty sure I wouldn't go to speedway there ...the track has never floated my boat if honest unless they put more banking on and cut the corners in a bit and then signed Doyle Ellis Musielak and Jensen......

9 minutes ago, hagonshocker said:

Often drive up to Oxford for shopping and mooching around but pretty sure I wouldn't go to speedway there ...the track has never floated my boat if honest unless they put more banking on and cut the corners in a bit and then signed Doyle Ellis Musielak and Jensen......

When I helped out just prior to the Wagstaff era and had access to the track I was surprised how banked it was as it wasn't always noticeable from the terraces. When Hans joined the "Cheetahs" he advised that the bends be brought in to allow for more lines. Personally I think if the bends were brought in any more you'd end up with a too tight track just like when Eastbourne messed around with the first and second bend and ruined the racing in my opinion with riders almost coming to a stop at the apex. When the Cowley track was prepared by Barry Strange and John White (I think that was their names?) the track was second to none with just the right amount of grip and opportunities to pass inside and out.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:27 AM, orion said:

Sadly when Your  Close down and that might happen at Swindon you give up and you  don't go  again 

I can tell you that there used to be a fairly large group of Reading fans on the back straight each week & another on the grass banking at turn 4. A group of Oxford fans were normally found on turn 2 near the burger van & more just after the start line.

Speedway fans will always go to speedway. They may not have there own team to follow & support but the will go to another club & I find they are the bust judge when asked for an opinion because they dont have a view based on the host club.

When a track closes down most of the tracks regulars stop going to speedway completely, a fair few may take in the odd meeting elsewhere and only a small percentage become regulars elsewhere! - I saw this in the 60's when my first track Norwich closed. - Many went to King's Lynn initially until slowly drifting away while Lynn eventually built up a large following of locals from their area rather than the Norwich area. 

Its looking a more than reasonable chance that speedway could return to Oxford in the near future years but I just hope that Oxford speedway reopening is not just a substitute for Swindons non return?

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

When a track closes down most of the tracks regulars stop going to speedway completely, a fair few may take in the odd meeting elsewhere and only a small percentage become regulars elsewhere! - I saw this in the 60's when my first track Norwich closed. - Many went to King's Lynn initially until slowly drifting away while Lynn eventually built up a large following of locals from their area rather than the Norwich area. 

Its looking a more than reasonable chance that speedway could return to Oxford in the near future years but I just hope that Oxford speedway reopening is not just a substitute for Swindons non return?

I would have continued going to Oxford for as long as it was operating as it was only a short walk for me. Since re-locating to York I've not been to a speedway (nearest being Sheffield I would guess?) as I would expect more than just 15 heats of racing to entice me to spend petrol money and time spent travelling.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, auntie doris said:

I would go to a few meetings but couldn't support the Ox.

I spent about 10 seasons going to Oxford and Swindon, used to like my Friday and bank holiday trips to Cowley, of course being a Leigh Adams fan, still saw him race after Swindon dropped down a league, was also good watching Hans at the fag end of his career.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Technik said:

Speedway fans will always go to speedway. 

Dont agree 90 % will never go again and the other 10 % every now and again ....What forum members on here from Newport ,Reading .Cov or Oxford still post on here and went to Swindon each week ?  i made friends with a quite a few from my time on here and none go on a regular basis most not at all and some may go to cardiff and take in the odd match .

If Swindon close and that is likely none of  are group will go elsewhere each week