British Speedway Forum
mac101

Sky To Pull Out.

No, there are numerous examples of football managers who are sacked by a club and don't take up another job straight away as it would effect the amount of compensation they would be entitled to from their previous club. The same principle would probably apply here, if the day after Sky pulled the plug, speedway signed a contract with BT.

Yes - in basic contract law the remedy for breach of contract is damages. Any calculation of financial loss would take into account any payments from a new club, or in this case receipts from BT Sport.

• Like 3

Thanks for the update, Speedways customer base demographic certainly makes it a hard sell I would imagine.?

Woe betide anyone who suggests doing anything about it though!

No, there are numerous examples of football managers who are sacked by a club and don't take up another job straight away as it would effect the amount of compensation they would be entitled to from their previous club. The same principle would probably apply here, if the day after Sky pulled the plug, speedway signed a contract with BT.

Fair comment but possibly different when it's someone's job, possibly not. What about if I want to end my contract with British Gas early, does the fact that someone else replaces me as a customer mean that I need not pay up the remainder of the contract?

I would think that unless Sky did a deal with BT then they are bound by the terms of the contract and would have to pay up. Either way I'm happy if coverage switches to BT, more Natalie Quirk :t:

Edit, just seen a couple more posts, happy to be wrong re the contract.

Edited by nw42
  • Like 1

I hope GSI has learned their lesson and kept some rights (streaming for example) on hand, as they will find this very useful.

Woe betide anyone who suggests doing anything about it though!

Empty stadia virtually every 'live' match couldnt help attract advertisers either as the image of the sport is 'one man and his dog' in attendance...

Amongst the (many) things Speedway over the years could have replicated from the American Sports Franchise structure is the way if an NFL game is shown 'live' the hosting club must have a virtually full stadium to ensure the 'correct image' is portrayed to the wider watching public.

Some teams literally grab people off the street with free ticket handouts if they are struggling to fill their stadium, as doing so means they avoid a fine for conduct which is deemed to be detrimental to the sports image...

Speedways image is exactly what it is, old, tired and outdated in its thinking, which accurately mirrors the ideas of far too many involved...

Year on year, narrow minded vested interest outcomes have been delivered to situations, rather than decisions being made for the collective good and the sports growth. This has delivered a truly 'basket case' of a sport....

Try selling it to a major multiple, I wish you luck....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Surely if Sky pull out of a contract they are liable for the remaining months irrespective of whether or not the BSPA can negotiate an alternative.

THINK that's right

It will be interesting what will happen to Pearson and Tatum- if BT want Kelvin there shouldn't be any problems with him finishing with SKY. Nigel on the other hand has his SKY darts- so it would be i would think impossible for him to work for both companies- and before anyone says he works for BT on the GP's and SWC NO he doesn't - BT take the Gp world feed.

KELVIN and Nigel did the commentary on the Aussie GP from London because BT wanted to stay with them rather than have the world feed commentators (Crump and Tapp).

Some teams literally grab people off the street with free ticket handouts if they are struggling to fill their stadium, as doing so means they avoid a fine for conduct which is deemed to be detrimental to the sports image...

a think 'grabbing people off the street' and forcing them to endure speedway, would land some clubs facing kidnapping charges, or at least common assault ;) Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 2

It will be interesting what will happen to Pearson and Tatum- if BT want Kelvin there shouldn't be any problems with him finishing with SKY. Nigel on the other hand has his SKY darts- so it would be i would think impossible for him to work for both companies- and before anyone says he works for BT on the GP's and SWC NO he doesn't - BT take the Gp world feed.

Don' t see where the problem is Nigel is not an employee of Sky TV , he's freelance is he not ? He also commentates on talkSport and does newspaper work as well

• Like 2

Don' t see where the problem is Nigel is not an employee of Sky TV , he's freelance is he not ? He also commentates on talkSport and does newspaper work as well

And the darts

I think you will find that someone would not be able to commentate and work for Sky and Bt- tv companies tend to not like rivals- the BBC and bt is an exception. If you name someone who works for Sky and bt i would happily accept i am wrong.

This is rather difficult for me to post much at the moment but hopefully in the next couple of days everything will become clear. I will update further on my personal thoughts then.

The general production on Sky Sports cutbacks have been happening across the board right from Football with the EFL final not being in UHD,Two less cameras on PL Darts,More Sky sports news live inserts done using mobile technology rather than satellite uplink trucks and less Wireless cameras for Cricket.

So hopefully many can now see this not related to viewing figures,Speedway has always performed well with viewing share especially considered it's often up against the soaps and sometimes Football on Sky & BT.

It always has been on par with sports of similar interests and some with much larger crowds I did post the full average figures in a previous post a couple of weeks ago I think it was about 70 odd thousand over the year as some weeks were very good.

This data comes direct from All Sky users that box has a Broadband connection the system is clever and very detailed like was it paused,were the ads watched and even has this person watched before. This is much more detailed rather than the limited BARB panel so Sky data is much more accurate and can also see how much time shifted viewing is done e.g Recorded and watched later and also takes into account on demand/Catch up viewers

Where Speedway does have a problem is that during live coverage advertisements just don't sell apart from to BSI for GP ads there are no brands that say want to buy ad space during Speedway coverage and most ads shown are just part of bigger package like Ford have guaranteed 30 mins during course of the day.

There have always been problems in selling ads during speedway broadcasts. The demographic has been well documented in the past. The audience has far fewer ABC1s than other sports, and whilst viewing figures are relatively strong, the preponderance of poorer socio-economic viewers means that speedway will always be in the shadow to the likes of golf, cricket, rugby union who will always attract a greater advertising revenue stream thanks to largely to their more well-heeled audience.

• Like 1

Sky are quite strict about people that they offer work to do not take work on with BT sport in particular.

This applies across the board from Camera crew,Vision engineering staff and even more so with on screen talent.

Although I am not 100% sure on the facts I believe that Nigel & Kelvin had to get high up clearance at board level to get the ok to do the GP comms when it moved to BT and at one point BT may have got their own comms team in.

Can't believe that people believe that Sky dropping speedway is all about cutbacks . Sky get speedway for a pittance compared to other sports.

Sky dropping speedway has more to do with the state of the sport than anything else.

BT taking over may be ok but as with the GP and Champions League football, less people will be watching.

Phoned to cancel sky sports but they offered me such a good deal decided to tie myself in till next January just for the league speedway really although I watch darts and wrestling. Oh well there you go, no league speedway, gps or moto GP for me this year. Anyone know the cost of adding bt to sky? I wonder if BT will have an offer on to entice speedway fans, I think there was last year

£27.99 for non bt customers first 3 months free at the moment £15 activation fee