British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdmc82

Peterborough V Coventry Challenge 19th Match 12pm

I had an enjoyable afternoon due to the effort all the riders put in to produce some great racing, although the rest of the package emphasised why Speedway is not moving forward:

1. Car Parking - No reason to charge for this, I can guarantee this is included in the rent the Panthers pay the showground and whilst it may only be £1 it annoyed me and I am sure many other's would have been also.

2. Queues - First meeting of season which to me means they had 6 months to prepare for it so NO excuses. Ged may have walked along the queue for 10 minutes to apologise but his time would have been better spent getting the other 2 turnstiles open. I watched with bewilderment as 2 people closed 2 of the turnstiles to help open the extra ones before returning ten minutes later.... sort of going against logic. Bottom line is they should have known the Bees would be well supported and should have been prepared. Failing to plan is preparing to fail.

3. Programme - Why charge £2.70? Surely speedway has learnt by now that £2 is the MOST you can charge without making people feel overcharged. At £2 I would have bought 2 but at £2.70 I bought none and instead kept check of race line ups on the 'speedway updates' website from my phone. I know some will point out that if I was happy to spend £4 on two why didn't i spend £2.70 on one, but bottom line is I hate feeling like I am being overcharged and want VFM on every pound I spend.

4. Food & Drink - Probably not directly related to the promotion but again prices were OTT and not VFM.

5. Presentation - I was actually impressed with the quality of the sound system in the main stand and found the interviews not too bad (although many rather depressing), however the music playlist was shocking. Here we are in 2017 and yet I thought I felt like I was in a 1980's social club.

6. Information - For whatever reason we was all left wondering what the hell was happening between heats 14 and 15 and for that there can be no excuse, it certainly annoyed me and many others around.

I want the Panthers to succeed and felt overall I was happy to spend my money on the afternoon, however they need to up their game if they want to encourage newcomers to return.

Why don't you start knocking other clubs for parking charges. £1 seems reasonable to me compared to what others charge . As an example Edinburgh charge £2 there not alone in charging over £1 there are others. Peterborough has a proper hard standing car park not all others are up to this standard including your once beloved Kings Lynn.

What was said about Brandon? Must've missed that chat.

Don't know who was being interviewed but he was saying that the circuit could be brought back to racing fitness in 2 to 3 weeks. The stand may need to be roped off (suggesting more damage). But if there was a willingness we could be racing at Brandon this year.

Peter York spoke with Colin Meredith and someone from the SaveCoventrySpeedway group.

Why don't you start knocking other clubs for parking charges. £1 seems reasonable to me compared to what others charge . As an example Edinburgh charge £2 there not alone in charging over £1 there are others. Peterborough has a proper hard standing car park not all others are up to this standard including your once beloved Kings Lynn.

You see it as 'knocking' and i see it a as 'feedback on my experience'.

Thank you for your feedback, saved me a journey to Edinburgh because out of principal i would have turned my car around at the gate and driven home again. £2 is a complete rip off.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 2

Don't think it's knocking personally aslong as there is a valid point and not getting personal etc. It's just a valid discussion.

Most car parks you have to pay now though.

• Like 1

We got there at 11:20 and queue was down to the end of the slope/railings. 2 women in the centre entrance looking at an ever lengthening Queue someone at the front said they were going to open

They then had to sort money and programmes etc and put a roll in the till. All things that could've been done far earlier.

Delay to start of the meeting needs to be 15minutes at the most unless there's major traffic problems in the area. Start times advertised so people shouldn't moan though they will

Racing was OK I've seen far worst meetings

Maybe they could put a sandwich board 20yards from the entrances saying what entrance fees are then people might fish about and have the right money ready

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 1

You see it as 'knocking' and i see it a as 'feedback on my experience'.

Thank you for your feedback, saved me a journey to Edinburgh because out of principal i would have turned my car around at the gate and driven home again. £2 is a complete rip off.

I've always thought that it's a bit of a p!55 take that King's Lynn charge a £1 to sit in a seat.

Much less offended to pay for parking a car as that seems to be the norm for almost any arena

• Like 1

...Ain't that why they have burger vans at sporting events?

Great, rubbish rubbish burger for lunch, rubbish burger for tea.

Or sporting events could run on time and then I could eat somewhere decent between meetings.

I've always thought that it's a bit of a p!55 take that King's Lynn charge a £1 to sit in a seat.

Much less offended to pay for parking a car as that seems to be the norm for almost any arena

Swings and roundabouts

I can't believe you are complaining about £1 parking. If I want to go to a sports event in Atlanta it costs me $20 to park.

Even my 14 year old sons baseball

Tournament last weekend was $5 to park.

Edited by AlanF

Gemini - If you're attending more Coventry meetings check: http://www.savecoventryspeedway.com/

Correct line up was listed in the Panthers v Bees preview

Thank you. I had looked at the Panthers website and the updates without success. I did actually buy a programme for once as I wanted to keep it ~ one more bit of rubbish my daughter will throw away when I kick the bucket :D ~ but also printed a blank one for my husband.

£1 seems reasonable to me compared to what others charge .

Agree. £1 to park at Peterborough is very reasonable considering how good it is, but when they use that bumpy field and you have to walk miles to get to the stadium it should be free. :P

Maybe they could put a sandwich board 20yards from the entrances saying what entrance fees are then people might fish about and have the right money ready

Leicester only have two kiosks but if there is a big queue someone goes along the line saying if people have the right money they can pay at the gate.

• Like 2

Swings and roundabouts, as you say Lynn charge you to sit on a seat which is open to the elements, Peterborough don't charge for a seat in the grandstand which affords a complete view of the racing and a roof protecting you from the weather.

I think £1 for car park is reasonable considering the benefits inside the stadium.

• Like 3

But you have a choice whether to sit in a seat or not.If your travelling by car you have to pay to park,no choice.

Swings and roundabouts

They may cost more than a £1 :D

• Like 1

Swings and roundabouts, as you say Lynn charge you to sit on a seat which is open to the elements, Peterborough don't charge for a seat in the grandstand which affords a complete view of the racing and a roof protecting you from the weather.

I think £1 for car park is reasonable considering the benefits inside the stadium.

This is a good point, however many people are happy to stand and could the club actually be missing a trick here as i believe they would earn more from offering free parking and charging a pound for the grandstand. Edited by jchapman

I think a pound for parking is fantastic value for money, i'm struggling to comprehend why this thread is being dominated by a quid, when it should all be about Coventry Bees comfortable win at the Showground...

• Like 2