British Speedway Forum
Skid Sprocket

Fastest Track Speeds

There may already be a list somewhere that I have missed but what are the fastest track speeds (not times) in each league, track length divided by track record, eg length 271 metres x4, record 52.2 seconds = 20.76 m/sec.

Not very scientific because longer tracks should have proportionally faster speeds.

Redcar = 20.76 metres/ second.

Edited by Skid Sprocket

Can't remember the details but the name Barry Meeks sticks in the mind, he was once recorded as having ridden the fastest on a speedway bike, this was at the old Earle Street track in Crewe, was the longest track in the country at the time, known as the 'Devil's Bowl'. I did see a couple of meetings there, we followed Rochdale as well as Belle Vue, it was a very fast track.

• Like 1

Can't remember the details but the name Barry Meeks sticks in the mind, he was once recorded as having ridden the fastest on a speedway bike, this was at the old Earle Street track in Crewe, was the longest track in the country at the time, known as the 'Devil's Bowl'. I did see a couple of meetings there, we followed Rochdale as well as Belle Vue, it was a very fast track.

Barry Meeks was accredited as the fastest but, if I recall, Scott Autrey (and possibly Tony Olssen?) were the fastest based on track records achieved at Exeter's County Ground.

There may already be a list somewhere that I have missed but what are the fastest track speeds (not times) in each league, track length divided by track record, eg length 271 metres x4, record 52.2 seconds = 20.76 m/sec.

Not very scientific because longer tracks should have proportionally faster speeds.

Redcar = 20.76 metres/ second.

The first lap is nearly always about 3 seconds slower than the other three so the actual maximum speed will be higher. They will also be hitting maximum speed at the end of the straight, which will also be higher than the average speed, obviously. To be pedantic even further, unless they ride around the kerb, the average speed will be higher still as they cover more distance :P

Easy enough to work out the average speed as you suggest. Only need the track record and the length, then: distance (m) /time x 2.25 = miles per hour. So for Redcar, the average speed is 20.76 x 2.25= 46.71mph

Belle Vue: average speed for NKI in July 2016 was 53.66 mph

The first lap is nearly always about 3 seconds slower than the other three so the actual maximum speed will be higher. They will also be hitting maximum speed at the end of the straight, which will also be higher than the average speed, obviously. To be pedantic even further, unless they ride around the kerb, the average speed will be higher still as they cover more distance :P

Easy enough to work out the average speed as you suggest. Only need the track record and the length, then: distance (m) /time x 2.25 = miles per hour. So for Redcar, the average speed is 20.76 x 2.25= 46.71mph

In truth today' s lap speed averages haven't changed much over the many decades, moving from averages of 40-something to 50-something mph, despite the many supposed improvements to equipment and tyres, etc.

. Pre-war, the Wembley programme used to print a conversion table, and its track records in 1947 were still as set in the 1930s ,

e.g. 4 Laps Clutch start Lionel Van Praag 73.2 secs July 15th 1939 = 42.25 mph;

1 Lap Flying Start, LvP and Wilbur Lamoreaux, 17.4 secs = 44.44mph.

Back then, and even up to the '60s, that was fast: (I can remember driving to Wembley down the M1 in 1964 at a cruising speed of ~ 55mph.) But today every young dolly bird in her Ford Fiesta or Renault 205 can do 90mph with little effort. This is one reason why today's generation don't find speedway enthralling, - they can drive a lot faster themselves, and have the thrill of doing it, not simply watching someone else do it.

But the machinery can deliver the speed. Ivan Mauger hold the world long track speedway record of 144.66kph (90.4 mph) set in New Zealand in 1986. Clearly it's the track and its bends that limit what can be achieved.

We know how fast ice speedway bikes/riders are from seeing Cribby come out and smash some of the speedway track records,so St.Pongau in Astrias claim to be the fastest track in the world could well be true,although not sure who set it and what speed was reached

http://www.salzburg24.at/eisspeedway-wm-in-st-johann-die-schnellste-bahn-der-welt/3152692

But here is a claim by Stralsund in Germany to being the fastest speedway track in Europe.Though is the Maciej Janowski who set it in 1958 related to the modern Maciej?All a bit questionable i guess what some of these tracks claim and of course very questionable seeing as they are using a guy with a stop watch....

http://www.mcn-stralsund.de/cms/front_content.php?idcat=10&lang=1

Rastede in Germany also makes a claim to being the fastest grass track in the world i think....

Edited by iris123

In truth today' s lap speed averages haven't changed much over the many decades, moving from averages of 40-something to 50-something mph, despite the many supposed improvements to equipment and tyres, etc.

. Pre-war, the Wembley programme used to print a conversion table, and its track records in 1947 were still as set in the 1930s ,

e.g. 4 Laps Clutch start Lionel Van Praag 73.2 secs July 15th 1939 = 42.25 mph;

1 Lap Flying Start, LvP and Wilbur Lamoreaux, 17.4 secs = 44.44mph.

Back then, and even up to the '60s, that was fast: (I can remember driving to Wembley down the M1 in 1964 at a cruising speed of ~ 55mph.) But today every young dolly bird in her Ford Fiesta or Renault 205 can do 90mph with little effort. This is one reason why today's generation don't find speedway enthralling, - they can drive a lot faster themselves, and have the thrill of doing it, not simply watching someone else do it.

But the machinery can deliver the speed. Ivan Mauger hold the world long track speedway record of 144.66kph (90.4 mph) set in New Zealand in 1986. Clearly it's the track and its bends that limit what can be achieved.

I agree. I remember John Louis breaking the Foxhall track record in about 1980 at 60.8. Then, the track was a bit longer around the kerb but he averaged 44.4mph. Danny King's current record, nearly 40 years later is 45.97mph. Does it really make the racing any better? This thread was in use some time ago: http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=62922

I do think though that if they could have a speed gun at one point of the track it could add to the evening to see who had the top speed. Can't be that difficult.

Edited by SPEEDY69

Using the above formula, I reckon that the Sheffield track record is faster as 54.97 mph (sorry if I have got the maths wrong).

• Like 1

Always puzzles me how people keep going on about how modern bikes are so much faster but you don't see many track records being broken these days.

Always puzzles me how people keep going on about how modern bikes are so much faster but you don't see many track records being broken these days.

Because, as stated above (Post No. 9 by Britmet), Bikes and Engines have changed over the years and a lot of Tracks haven't. Some are basically the same as they were back in 1928. The Tracks were OK for Speedway in those days but with the 'Rocket Ships' Riders are using these days the Sport has become faster (minimally) and more dangerous hence a greater risk of injury.

Certainly I don't believe that the Bikes are that much faster that it justifies all of the cost involved in having them Tuned.

Using the above formula, I reckon that the Sheffield track record is faster as 54.97 mph (sorry if I have got the maths wrong).

Yes on current tracks Ricky Ashworth is the fastest man in speedway, long may he remain so.

• Like 2