British Speedway Forum
SCB

The 4 Hours Speedway Meeting....

Tbh I find myself being able to cope with the incompetence in speedway because let's be honest it's speedway after all, what drives me bonkers is the apathy and the seemingly couldn't give a monkeys attitude and not caring about the fans but still expecting them to turn up. I'm due to go to Somerset Friday and Rye House Saturday but I'm not confident all will be well although I've never had a problem at those tracks before. There's a few I don't venture to anymore, one not a million miles away because it tends to be a shambles every time we go

• Like 1

Too right mike, some promoters can't grasp the fact that the majority of fans want the meeting to be run as quickly as possible. Most of the people I know that don't go to speedway anymore, cite unnecessary delays as the main reason for packing the sport in.

• Like 5

Speed up the meetings and then have time for a second half for youngsters or even a short meeting of say 6 heats for NL riders. Those that want to get away after 90 mins at the end of the main meeting can do so, others that want to see the youngsters or have a longer time watching racing can do so. The main riders can either stay or get away if they are due to fly off to wherever the next day and up and coming youngsters get more track time and racing.

• Like 7

Speed up the meetings and then have time for a second half for youngsters or even a short meeting of say 6 heats for NL riders. Those that want to get away after 90 mins at the end of the main meeting can do so, others that want to see the youngsters or have a longer time watching racing can do so. The main riders can either stay or get away if they are due to fly off to wherever the next day and up and coming youngsters get more track time and racing.

then you'll start getting the 'not value for money' posts

• Like 2

Why if there are more races? It's up to the individual whether they stay or not and get value for money but personally I used to be one of the last to leave Coventry as I liked watching the second half races. Delays, unless absolutely necessary due to a crash, are a pain in the neck especially when fans are left standing around not knowing what's going on like at Peterborough recently before heat 15.

more fans would probably stay for the 2nd halves if meetings were over quicker! Summer for me is mental work wise so time is kind of at a premium! if the meeting was over by 9 id probably stay for some of the 2nd half.

• Like 1

more fans would probably stay for the 2nd halves if meetings were over quicker! Summer for me is mental work wise so time is kind of at a premium! if the meeting was over by 9 id probably stay for some of the 2nd half.

Sadly no-one will listen. The Second Half System brought us loads of British Speedway 'Stars' back in the Seventies. We, Great Britain, won everything in sight.

They changed the System - and look where we are now. :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Like 2

Sadly no-one will listen. The Second Half System brought us loads of British Speedway 'Stars' back in the Seventies. We, Great Britain, won everything in sight.

Dont think its as clear cut as that. Money from Poland makes a big difference. Id also question the attitude of young modern riders i get the feeling most wont travel for 3 heats at the end of a meeting. Theres a distinct lack of putting yourself out IMO

When i said second half i was including junior races and amateur races in that such as mdl! I didn't mean the old style! but that would be awesome!

• Like 1

There used to be two reserve races where two track novices would race both number sevens from the league match . The winner of the first reserves race would also get into the rider of the night competition . It's called competition , something to aim for aids improvement .

Racing against the same three other novices a couple of times after the meeting isn't going to do any young rider any good . More so up here in Scotland as there is no National League side within a couple of hundred miles .

• Like 1

Old style second halves will never work again, riders want to be getting home straight after heat fifteen to prepare for their next commitment.

Agree about MDL, at Lynn where meetings routinely drag on I'm sure more people would stay if the main event was all over in ninety minutes.

• Like 1

Why if there are more races? It's up to the individual whether they stay or not and get value for money but personally I used to be one of the last to leave Coventry as I liked watching the second half races.

In the really good old days, you could stay and watch the "third-halfers" too at Brandon!

Old style second halves will never work again, riders want to be getting home straight after heat fifteen to prepare for their next commitment.

In the really good old days, they'd race in the second half, then come up into the bar, to mix with family and fans!
  • Like 1

In the really good old days, you could stay and watch the "third-halfers" too at Brandon!

In the really good old days, they'd race in the second half, then come up into the bar, to mix with family and fans!

Aye - those were the days.

We were often 'upstairs' at the Stadium having a drink, a laugh and a chat with sometimes all seven Team Members. A great time was had by all.

Nowadays it end of Heat 15 usually - then off home.

Such a shame - but - such is progress.

Aye - those were the days.

We were often 'upstairs' at the Stadium having a drink, a laugh and a chat with sometimes all seven Team Members. A great time was had by all.

Nowadays it end of Heat 15 usually - then off home.

Such a shame - but - such is progress.

They don't drink these days! Pro!

Agree about MDL, at Lynn where meetings routinely drag on I'm sure more people would stay if the main event was all over in ninety minutes.

...and they should be considering their commitment to the people who pay their wages...the fans!

I was a great fan of the second halves. 15 heats of racing does not represent good value for money in my opinion.

• Like 1