British Speedway Forum
racers and royals

World U21 Team Final Rybnik Saturday 2nd September Live On Internet

Is it brainwashing?We are one of the richest countries.We must ask why have Poland improved in many ways.Just having seen the TV debate between Merkel and Schulz,one point came up.The financial help for Poland in the past years helping them in so many ways,yet the flat refusal to help in the refugee crisis and such situations cannot be allowed to continue.

Ask any Pole what the roads were like before all the help from the EU....

• Like 1

Just watched that and the teamgb riders should really take a look at themselves. Shocking display. Looked like a real lack of effort.

look forward to you telling Adam that to his face next time you see him

Money probably. Do the Polish youngsters buy all their own equipment, how many engines and bikes do they own, how many times per week do they race/practice?

There was no shortage of BSPA money to buy a huge stock of Gerhard engines. Did they all sell out? Or is there a shelf full of unused engines that could have been tailored to suit Polish conditions?

Is it brainwashing?We are one of the richest countries.We must ask why have Poland improved in many ways.Just having seen the TV debate between Merkel and Schulz,one point came up.The financial help for Poland in the past years helping them in so many ways,yet the flat refusal to help in the refugee crisis and such situations cannot be allowed to continue.

Ask any Pole what the roads were like before all the help from the EU....

Not denying any of that, but what I really meant was that while the UK may have led the world once, even in speedway terms, nowadays while many other countries have moved massively forward, Poland included, we have stood still, and not just in speedway. Edited by stewmac
  • Like 1

Whilst I don't disagree with the views that Brits are 1) not good enough 2) not given enough opportunities I wonder what difference bikes used makes.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that Kurtz used his Polish bikes and Jack Holder was on Chris Holder's bike (presumably Polish). Did the other Aussies also use engines that are usually used in Poland and therefore more suited to Polish tracks? I'm not trying to take away from the Aussies achievements simply interested in the differing standards of bikes used (if any).

I know Lambert rides in Poland but have no idea which bikes he used.

If the bikes do make that much difference how can we put all the blame the Brits who presumably don't have the advantage of Polish clubs and the bikes behind them.

Let's take a step back and ask ourselved WHY the Australian riders have "Polish bikes" at their disposal. Why have Australian riders gone out of their way to fix themselves up with places in Polish teams? More to the point, Lambert apart, why have the British riders NOT got themselves fixed up in Poland?

And what's so special about "Polish bikes"? They all start out the same at the GM / Gerhard / Jawa factory...they all go to one tuner or another. They all conform to FIM regulations. Talk about workmen blaming their tools.

• Like 2

Let's take a step back and ask ourselved WHY the Australian riders have "Polish bikes" at their disposal. Why have Australian riders gone out of their way to fix themselves up with places in Polish teams? More to the point, Lambert apart, why have the British riders NOT got themselves fixed up in Poland?

And what's so special about "Polish bikes"? They all start out the same at the GM / Gerhard / Jawa factory...they all go to one tuner or another. They all conform to FIM regulations. Talk about workmen blaming their tools.

Polish bikes are specifically tuned and set up for Polish tracks of course, you tell us, you should know. BUT they will have practised and practised, tried out numerous engines, just because they can.

The Aussies always help one another, always have done, I guess they have the advantage of being brought up on big sweeping tracks akin to Poland, just because they can, they have plenty of land to build tracks ...

Why the hell am I saying all this to you, you know what the British boys problems are, you tell me!!!!

Our boys aren't idiots. They didn't come home believing nothing was wrong. And they're not that bad either.

This is what we're been saying about sending our best out there to learn their their trade. If others had better engines or better sponsorship or a hand from their older "friends", our boys will learn. It's not a level playing out there. Riding for Sheffield in the Championship one night and riding in a World Championship event a couple of nights later, is not the same thing. We'll go back better prepared next time and the time after that we'll be close to a win. That's how this works. We have the talent, now we need the experience.

Not denying any of that, but what I really meant was that while the UK may have led the world once, even in speedway terms, nowadays while many other countries have moved massively forward, Poland included, we have stood still, and not just in speedway.

Fr sure,but you have to look at where they were say 20 years ago.They were in such bad shape that it was neccesary to build up the infrastructure.It was the same with the communist East Germany.When i first went to Güstrow for instance the town was a scrap heap,buildings were terrible and now it has all been developed.Now all over the east they have new roads,new underpasses and new train stations etc.You could say,wow,look at the great leap forward this area has made,but it is all because of funding from elsewhere,not a sign of how the local economy has boomed

look forward to you telling Adam that to his face next time you see him

Sorry Jonny but it seemed like the whole team caught a cold and not one of the team did themselves any justice at all. They were all off the pace with not one shining light amongst them. Heads were down. Pickering is not better than our boys but showed what he can do by being surrounded by the right attitude.

Gating last then going out wide on the first bend left our rider 30 metres behind by the back straight. They did it time after time. The Danes sussed it out after starting as badly, why not our boys?

We were very poor indeed.

No need to apologise to me, i just look forward to you telling Adam he should have a look at himself for his lack of effort (your words).

If you have the balls to do it that is ?

No need to apologise to me, i just look forward to you telling Adam he should have a look at himself for his lack of effort (your words).

I would certainly ask him what went wrong, as I would any of the riders. Perhaps saying lack of effort was wrong wording, but there's a lack of something running through the whole team which was evident watching it.

Our riders are better than how they performed on Saturday and questions need to be asked why they performed as they did.

Adam has improved considerably this year but in nearly every race was off the pace, as were the others including Lambert who rides in Poland. Why? Hopefully the performance will be disected so that next time the team can do better.

Polish bikes are specifically tuned and set up for Polish tracks ... big sweeping tracks akin to Poland...

You make it sound like there is something massively different about Polish tracks? Rybnik is 357 metres, barely 15 metres longer than Kings Lynn, 10 metres longer than Belle vue and smaller than Berwick and Workington. No excuses for British riders not having the right equipment for combatting "big sweeping tracks".

...they will have practised and practised, tried out numerous engines, just because they can.

Maybe the Polish riders did. Bully for them. The Australians, and Danes didn't. Explain how they were so superior to the Brits? Why didn't the SCB/ BSPA arrange for training for the British lads? Because they could have, just they didn't.

The Aussies always help one another, always have done...

So how long before the Brits learn a lesson off them and start helping each other too?

.... you know what the British boys problems are, you tell me!!!!

First, you have to come out of this state of mind that poo-poo's the good things that happen elsewhere in the belief that the British way is the only way, and that the Poles are the enemy and wishes evil on them and can't wait for their leagues to implode, and then we might be able to make some progress.

Edited by uk martin

sorry to use your post above but what's your view on the difference (if any) in the equipment used by the Poles, Poland based Aussies and the Brits?

Does the ability to constantly practice on the track make that much difference. Most fans seem to think it does but it would be good to get a different perspective on it.

Some of the time the Brits were using the same lines as the Poles but they just lacked speed, the rest just pulled away from them, so the bikes were just not fast enough for the track. At other times they were last out of the gate and others went too wide on the bends. I doubt if an hours practice would have made much difference.

Some of the time the Brits were using the same lines as the Poles but they just lacked speed, the rest just pulled away from them, so the bikes were just not fast enough for the track. At other times they were last out of the gate and others went too wide on the bends. I doubt if an hours practice would have made much difference.

They were beaten by better riders on the night,they have rode enough speedway not to blame equipment and lack of practice?IMO.They certainly didn't ride well.Think if you ask them politely to their face they will be ok about though.Jonny always uses this phrase .Lets have the Final at Monmore!!!! See what the result would be.Interesting.