British Speedway Forum

World Champions I Have Seen

As long as watching Ove Fundin ride in a Golden Greats meeting counts, it's everyone from 1966 (Briggo) onwards, with the exception of Jerzy S.

• Like 1

As long as watching Ove Fundin ride in a Golden Greats meeting counts, it's everyone from 1966 (Briggo) onwards, with the exception of Jerzy S.

Saw Jerzy as far as entering the first bend at Cowley (1973) when he disappeared under the fence and took no further part in the meeting!

• Like 1

Yes, I also saw Bjorn Knutsson whose name I have now edited into my OP. Thank you.

And for your interest, my local speedway track - about one mile from where I live - staged its last meeting on Sunday, May 13, 1940.

Yet a further 10(?) world champs not on your list would have ridden London tracks in the 80s/90s, admittedly more than a km from your home

As a side topic: list of riders people have seen crowned as world champ? And riders people have seen riding while reigning world champion.

I've seen just two crowned, Egon in 83 and Eric in 85.

Riding while world champ then Lee, Penhall, Gundersen, Nielsen, Muller (if you include his victory lap), hancock, Holder and Tai.

Yet a further 10(?) world champs not on your list would have ridden London tracks in the 80s/90s, admittedly more than a km from your home

As a side topic: list of riders people have seen crowned as world champ? And riders people have seen riding while reigning world champion.

I've seen just two crowned, Egon in 83 and Eric in 85.

Riding while world champ then Lee, Penhall, Gundersen, Nielsen, Muller (if you include his victory lap), hancock, Holder and Tai.

For my part, I like this suggestion. Perhaps deserving as a separate thread - to avoid confusion with this thread maybe. I have a list of riders who I have seen crowned as world champions ready for my post in any new thread. Go for it waitekeaces1.

Edited by Guest

Ivan Mauger

Ole Olsen

Anders Michanek (can't remember if I ever saw him race "proper" but I saw him in a Golden Greats meeting at Coventry)

Peter Collins

Michael Lee

Bruce Penhall

Egon Muller

Erik Gundersen

Hans Nielsen

Per Jonsson

Jan O. Pedersen

Gary Havelock

Sam Ermolenko

Tony Rickardsson

Billy Hamill

Greg Hancock

Mark Loram

Nicki Pedersen

Jason Crump

Tomasz Gollob

Chris Holder

Tai Woffinden

I have also met Barry Briggs, he may even have been in the aforementioned Golden Greats meeting, but I can't remember.

Fundin

Knutsson

Briggs

Mauger

Olsen

Michanek

Then a 30 year break from the sport

Rickardsson

Hancock

Pedersen

Crump

Holder

Gollob

Woffy

Fundin

Briggs

Moore

Mauger

Collins

Michanek

Olsen

Lee

Penhall

Sycakiel

Nielsen

Gundersen

Perdersen J O

Muller

Havelock

Loram

Woffinden

Rickardsson

Jonsson

Ermolenko

Hancock

Gollob

Hamill

Holder

Pedersen N

Crump

I think it has to count doesn't it? It was a competitive meeting, despite the age of the competitors! In my case, that's how I can count Fundin and Briggs.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

I forgot Ronnie Moore, and Peter Craven, sure he was in the first Wembley final i saw in 63, won by the number 1 Ove.

Edited by beefy keefy

Ronnie Moore is the one rider I have any doubt about at all. I might possibly have seen him ride in my early speedway years, but I'm pretty sure I never.

Ivan Mauger

Ole Olsen

Peter Collins

Michael Lee

Bruce Penhall

Egon Muller

Erik Gundersen

Hans Nielsen

Per Jonsson

Jan O. Pedersen

Gary Havelock

Sam Ermolenko

Tony Rickardsson

Billy Hamill

Greg Hancock

Mark Loram

Nicki Pedersen

Jason Crump

Chris Holder

Tai Woffinden

Plus Barry Briggs and Ove Fundin at the Golden Greats lol

Tomasz Gollob is the only one I never got to see ride in the flesh in the 'modern era'

Ivan Mauger

Ole Olsen

Peter Collins

Michael Lee

Bruce Penhall

Egon Muller

Erik Gundersen

Hans Nielsen

Per Jonsson

Jan O. Pedersen

Gary Havelock

Sam Ermolenko

Tony Rickardsson

Billy Hamill

Greg Hancock

Mark Loram

Nicki Pedersen

Jason Crump

Chris Holder

Tai Woffinden

Plus Barry Briggs and Ove Fundin at the Golden Greats lol

Tomasz Gollob is the only one I never got to see ride in the flesh in the 'modern era'

All these plus briggo and Fundin in the flesh and the golden greats in Holsted

Iove reading that some of you saw the greats from pre 70s era, what I don't get is why you still post on a speedway forum but have never seen a meeting in well over 30 years and more. Strange to me tbh. I think Sidney as seen some riders from way back but still attends meetings so when he comments I get where he's coming from

Iove reading that some of you saw the greats from pre 70s era, what I don't get is why you still post on a speedway forum but have never seen a meeting in well over 30 years and more. Strange to me tbh. I think Sidney as seen some riders from way back but still attends meetings so when he comments I get where he's coming from

A fair and interesting comment bruno - but I haven't noticed any indication by other Posters that they have not attended a speedway meeting for 30 years - which would have been 1987.

However, in fairness, I must admit that "...I have not been to speedway in recent years..." but certainly not as far back as you imply.

Edited by Guest