British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
semion

Kings Lynn Stars V Belle Vue Aces 21/06/17

I saw no lack of appetite or effort last week, just a meeting where we were completely outclassed.

Outclassed or just outgated ?

Edited by semion

Outclassed or just outgated ?

In speedway terms I guess that is part of being outclassed.

Serious question. I haven't been to Kings Lynn for many years, but why can't they put a screen up to block the sun from getting in the riders eyes?

Simply put it would need to be far too high.

I'm sure that back in the days when KL first started there weren't any issues with the sun. It's a summer sport and not unusual to have sun in the summer - or is it?

I'm sure that back in the days when KL first started there weren't any issues with the sun. It's a summer sport and not unusual to have sun in the summer - or is it?

Agreed, I was at the first meeting at Saddlebow Road and until recently missed very few. The sun delay didn't seem to feature in the early years i.e. 60s, and 70s

Not sure why there were no delays in the early years because the sun is blinding looking into the first bend.

I can remember Buster storming into the office one night when the riders declared the sun too bright saying I'll buy them all tinted visors for next week, but that didn't happen so I guess they wouldn't have made any difference.

Agreed, I was at the first meeting at Saddlebow Road and until recently missed very few. The sun delay didn't seem to feature in the early years i.e. 60s, and 70s

Not sure why there were no delays in the early years because the sun is blinding looking into the first bend.

I can remember Buster storming into the office one night when the riders declared the sun too bright saying I'll buy them all tinted visors for next week, but that didn't happen so I guess they wouldn't have made any difference.

I think the issue is "it's the wrong type of Sun" nowadays.....😂😂😂 Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Back then it was a Saturday Sun SL now it's a Wednesday Sun. The Sun has changed over the years. Turn to page 3 and you will see what I mean lol

I had the pleasure of once shaking hands with Linda Lusardi. It was great to finally meet them both.

Edited by semion
  • Like 4

Always thought some sort of sun screen would help. It's only as the sun started getting low that it becomes a problem. Nice big advertising hoarding not much higher than the score board ought to do the trick.

Back to the result, if it's a gate and go track I fear a narrow defeat, otherwise we can hopefully grind out a win - just. Aces will definitely get at least a point out of it.

• Like 1

Back then it was a Saturday Sun SL now it's a Wednesday Sun. The Sun has changed over the years. Turn to page 3 and you will see what I mean lol

I had the pleasure of once shaking hands with Linda Lusardi. It was great to finally meet them both.

Now I get it! Thank you. I can see that a Saturday sun is a very different prospect to a Wednesday sun. That must be the big problem for modern riders on modern high speed machines, whereas those riding in the last century were on mopeds.

• Like 1

Up until mid 90's, when the Sugar Corporation owned most of the land. There where many Pine and Fern trees around the Railway lines, and circled their playing field. That helped to protect the Stadium from the rays from the sun. and as been said the sun was only a problem when it was real low.. Now the land has been sold off to various ideas and ventures, the trees have since gone and replaced with businesses

Coupled to that, the speedway bikes of today are a different animal to what they used to be. Where once throttle control was everything, easing off never had the consequences it does today. The bikes are so much faster, and the competition far more equal , all elements that have to be a consideration. I don't suppose the dark colour of the shale offers any help either...

Why not plan to start meetings at 7.45 prompt, with introductions and practises, with the first race at 8pm. That would eliminate most of the hold -ups... A good meeting director and referee , could easily catch that delay up, Last week against Wolves we had a track grade after heat 4, we had another after heat 8 (this went on for some 10 mins), We then had an interval after heat 10, A young boy sitting in front of us with his smart phone was keeping tabs on the meeting. He said Dad, that tractor has been going round for 26mins, If that was correct, that was longer than the racing took...

What I'm trying to say if we need to delay the start because of the sun lets do it right and plan it, Set the meeting to a timetable, Grade track after ht4, take the interval after ht8 and plan to finish at the same time.... Don't have a track grade then 2 races later have an interval. If there is a hold-up let it incorporate the interval as well. Lets put more importance into the appreciation of the supporters... and not have them hanging around as of present....

• Like 3

See you all down there.

Are the roads srou d Lyn closed for roadworks yet????

See you all down there.

Are the roads srou d Lyn closed for roadworks yet????

No they don't start until September but bear in mind just one incident anywhere in the area knocks on throughout the town and surrounding area. Hopefully you won't need it but I'd allow a bit of extra time.

• Like 1