British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
semion

Kings Lynn Stars V Belle Vue Aces 21/06/17

Breaks in the races are necessary really, to prepare the track, but what needs to happen is the fans needs to be kept entertained in these periods. During the past year or so I have been lucky enough to go to a number of different sports, ice hockey, basketball, T20 cricket, rugby league, all of these sports have breaks in play, but in these breaks the fans are kept entertained by various things. It doesn't take a lot of effort or money. Interviews, quizzes, sponsored giveaways (tickets, T shirts), to even daft little things (this was at the rugby league) like two fans fighting with pillows in a ring, to fans racing on space hoppers. Ten minutes should be easy to fill, have the weekly raffles during one of them. I don't see the need for an interval after heat 10 if there is a track grading break after heats 4, 8 and 12 say.

or even start at 7-30 and just get on with it
  • Like 1

What I don't understand is why Chapman as a businessman appears to be purposely running his business into the ground by not providing for the paying customer, it really does not make one iota of sense.

• Like 1

or even start at 7-30 and just get on with it

Having been a speedway follower since 1958, my wife has always been understanding about my nights at the track when she's not with me. But a couple of times this year, she's dropped gentle hints, with tongue in cheek, suggesting I might be seeing another woman as I'm so late getting home, in comparison to when we visit places like Peterborough for example, together.

Last night was very uncomfortable for me when I got home, as she did accept my excuse for being so late, but let me know in no certain terms that she couldn't understand why it doesn't happen when we are at venues together, barring accidents of course.

As far as I know, it's the referees job to keep meetings moving along, so I can't understand why that isn't happening. I'm now working on my next excuse!!

• Like 1

Another woman Mimmo ? Did you not explain to her that one is more than enough !! :D It almost like they become part of the family !

• Like 2

its a 2 way street Hyderd. For sure the fans should support the club, which they do ( otherwise there would be no club) in turn it is up to the promotion to offer something in return by way of entertainment for that support.

As Kings Lynn fans we have been brought up on winning sod all ( at the top level, a couple of cups apart) but have always had a quality racing circuit ( until the last few years). That was our place in the swing of things and one that we have accepted over the years. Entertainment first, prizes second. Now we don't appear to have either.

So where is the encouragement to go and hand over £17 plus of our hard earned money ?

Note... Sorry. this is not meaning to sound like I'm replying on SL's behalf, as she is far more capable than me..

Dead right :approve:

Problem is it seems to me that some speedway promoters believe they can serve up any old rubbish and people should pay for it.

It simply must be the case that the product is attractive enough (or at least every effort is made to ensure it is) to pull people in and, if its not, I don't blame anyone walking away if they do not feel they are getting their money's worth. Relying on loyalty to the team is just not enough.

Late start, rubbish racing and intervals would be three reasons for me to think again about going because there is no need for any of them.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 6

Just read these pages and not one mention about Bjerre's contribution last night. He is a lot better than some of the Lynn riders on show and you didn't want him. I am sure Belle Vue fans must be pleased with his performances this year.

Just read these pages and not one mention about Bjerre's contribution last night. He is a lot better than some of the Lynn riders on show and you didn't want him. I am sure Belle Vue fans must be pleased with his performances this year.

I agree. I seriously question if there is something wrong with the club. We had Bjerre for a couple of years, Schlein for a couple of years, they go away and are rejuvenated. I just dont understand it.

I agree. I seriously question if there is something wrong with the club. We had Bjerre for a couple of years, Schlein for a couple of years, they go away and are rejuvenated. I just dont understand it.

Probably they feel they need to be wanted.......

• Like 1

If I didn't know any different , I would believe Buster is doing alll he can to really P--z people off. We started late, we had a 18min grading break after ht 6, then another 16min Interval / Grading break after ht 10.. Don't he realise people want to go home, they don't want to watch him driving that bloody tractor all night. When Twitter said Poole and Leicester had finished, we still had 4 races to run. Now if the track had been good, then probably we could except the delays. but when we consistently have this gate and go fiasco I don't see why we need so many delays....

The racing was poor too. apart from 2 or 3 exceptions most races were strung out and processional.. I must say speedway is not like it use to be.... Our team is poor when comparing it with the likes of Belle Vue. They like Wolves are light years ahead of us... With the exception of Huckenbeck they were better in every position. Ever race they had winners, If their HL (heat leader) faltered they had SS ( Second String) to step up. To provide only 4 race winners illustrates how poor we were. The fact we were within 1 point with only 1 race to go was down to the implementation of that stupid double point rule. Belle Vue were streets ahead and thoroughly deserved their success.

It makes little sense challenging for them Play-off places when we perform like this. What is the point of competing a semi-final when we cant beat these teams on home soil.

All he cares about is £ The longer he keeps people there and the more bored they get when there's nothing going on, the more money they will spend in the bars/food stalls.

All he cares about is £ The longer he keeps people there and the more bored they get when there's nothing going on, the more money they will spend in the bars/food stalls.

or people just wake up and don't return as that's what's going to happen if things doesn't soon change there is plenty of other things to spend our money on and if I want to watch tractors I will go and watch them on the nearest farm for free .

or people just wake up and don't return as that's what's going to happen if things doesn't soon change there is plenty of other things to spend our money on and if I want to watch tractors I will go and watch them on the nearest farm for free .

Fans from visiting clubs reading what is happening are unlikely to visit

Edited by A ORLOV

Having been a speedway follower since 1958, my wife has always been understanding about my nights at the track when she's not with me. But a couple of times this year, she's dropped gentle hints, with tongue in cheek, suggesting I might be seeing another woman as I'm so late getting home, in comparison to when we visit places like Peterborough for example, together.

Last night was very uncomfortable for me when I got home, as she did accept my excuse for being so late, but let me know in no certain terms that she couldn't understand why it doesn't happen when we are at venues together, barring accidents of course.

As far as I know, it's the referees job to keep meetings moving along, so I can't understand why that isn't happening. I'm now working on my next excuse!!

I think my wife would be happier if I was seeing another woman than spending money on speedway ;-)

• Like 1

He now has the bit between his teeth, last year he had no teeth1

If you are a fan of tractors and what they can REALLY do in such situations it must be quite engaging and the motorbike racing an interruption. Add in the other heavy machinery - the one that dumps the shale at the starting area is fascinating, especially as it slams down the shale. I call it Tonka Paradise.

Since the incident at kings Lynn many years ago where a rider was hit by the tractor new rules were brought in across the whole sport to ensure the tractor is not on the track at the same time as the bikes.

The unfortunate ramifications are that once the tractor is out on the track at the end of a race (supposedly once bikes have left the track) the referee can not put the 2 minute warning on until the tractor has parked on the centre green or left the track again.

Therefore the control of the speed of the meeting is with the promoter. That is why in the past I would have been seen on the track waving my arms up and down after the grader had done just or lap or two to remind the driver to come in. I can only assume no one has taken over this responsibility and the driver is not conscious of the delay they are causing.