British Speedway Forum

Sorry speedibee, you might be disappointed to hear that Suzi Perry is back for the Cardiff GP.

And I think thats her schedule complete for this year, may be wrong on that.

Sorry speedibee, you might be disappointed to hear that Suzi Perry is back for the Cardiff GP.

And I think thats her schedule complete for this year, may be wrong on that.

THINK you are right. Thought she was very poor in Saturday. Had some long gaps to fill in with Scott but didn't seem to know what to say.

• Like 1

THINK you are right. Thought she was very poor in Saturday. Had some long gaps to fill in with Scott but didn't seem to know what to say.

Which only reinforces my view that Natalie should be fronting up the Speedway.

• Like 3

Just as a matter of interest did anybody record or watch the World Cup on the BT sport 4K channel as I am interested to hear your thoughts about how Speedway cam over and could you tell the difference from the usual HD broadcast ?

I DID ... cannot say I noticed any real difference. But then I don't see much improvement with Sky's ultra-hd. soccer coverage. The games are no better. The grass is sharper and faces in the crowd display more definition but not much else.

Will be interested to see how test cricket comes across on Thursday. Shame they are not covering The Open in 4k.

Incidentally, hearing on the jungle drums that BT's Saturday audience peaked at close to 100,000, which is exceptional. Surely this week's Final will do even better than that.

• Like 5

I DID ... cannot say I noticed any real difference. But then I don't see much improvement with Sky's ultra-hd. soccer coverage. The games are no better. The grass is sharper and faces in the crowd display more definition but not much else.

Will be interested to see how test cricket comes across on Thursday. Shame they are not covering The Open in 4k.

Incidentally, hearing on the jungle drums that BT's Saturday audience peaked at close to 100,000, which is exceptional. Surely this week's Final will do even better than that.

That is some really good news for Speedway for a change.

Long may it continue.

Hopefully it will encourage BT to continue with Speedway next year, and into the future.

• Like 1

Considering how when BT were first mooted as being potential speedway broadcasters the reaction of many was that it would hurt the sport to move to an even more minority channel than Sky this is very welcome news.

Bear in mind pay-TV still gets much lower ratings than the main free network channels despite industry propaganda. 100k is a very good figure, and deserved despite the quality of racing at Lynn. On this occasion though the suspense over whether GB would hold onto their lead more than compensated.

It'll now be fascinating to see how the Vastervik round rates.

By the way, BT have been repeating Saturday's meeting frequently, and in a two hour package, not just 30 minute or 1 hour highlights. It's actually been hard to avoid it.

We're being treated well. Let's hope it turns into a good, full-season and paid domestic contract.

Good to have some positive news. The sport's not dead yet!

• Like 1

THE big problem for British speedway is how to get armchair viewers on to the terraces. Many go to Cardiff but not anywhere else. And it is easy to understand why, not least because of the facilities that both Cardiff and the Principality Stadium have to offer compared with (no offence intended) Lakeside.

• Like 1

THE big problem for British speedway is how to get armchair viewers on to the terraces. Many go to Cardiff but not anywhere else. And it is easy to understand why, not least because of the facilities that both Cardiff and the Principality Stadium have to offer compared with (no offence intended) Lakeside.

I said this right back at the start of SKY transmissions when everyone was getting excited about live TV transmissions...it's fine if the world and his wife are watching from home but it's those who attend their local tracks that count but I was 'shouted down' at the time.

I knew of someone who would watch a featured live match from Cowley and preferred to do that rather than walk the half mile to watch it live from the terraces and pay his £15 or whatever the admission was back then. I could sort of understand his logic (saving £15) but if everyone had decided to do that then there would be no speedway to view anyway.

Bit like the Play-Offs which apparently attract huge attendances whereby the run of the mill league meetings appear to struggle attracting reasonable crowds?

Edited by steve roberts

One aspect of Nigel Pearson's commentaries that people overlook is how he is constantly referring to the various tracks around the country, clearly hoping to remind armchair viewers that for some of them live speedway was almost on their doorstep.

In the SGP coverage he is mentioning the domestic coverage, mentioning any offers and openly encouraging people to attend in person.

Short of begging the public to go there's not a great deal more the broadcasters can do. Sadly the task to transfer people from armchairs to terraces is with the BSPA who really need outside help with this, which they clearly can't afford.

In the 21st century it is surely a minimum requirement for a stadium to have some covered seating. Not everyone can or wants to stand in a field. Leicester proved what can be done in that respect, opening with covered stands. There are tracks I have to avoid due to the lack of basic facilities due to my increasing age, and I am definitely one who you would term a 'diehard'.

Edited by Rob McCaffery
  • Like 1

I said this right back at the start of SKY transmissions when everyone was getting excited about live TV transmissions...it's fine if the world and his wife are watching from home but it's those who attend their local tracks that count but I was 'shouted down' at the time.

I knew of someone who would watch a featured live match from Cowley and preferred to do that rather than walk the half mile to watch it live from the terraces and pay his £15 or whatever the admission was back then. I could sort of understand his logic (saving £15) but if everyone had decided to do that then there would be no speedway to view anyway.

Bit like the Play-Offs which apparently attract huge attendances whereby the run of the mill league meetings appear to struggle attracting reasonable crowds?

Interesting Steve, but once again I remind you of what you have said in the past. You consider yourself a speedway fan, but won't go to Sheffield despite living in York. How does that square with your points highlighted above.

These are the BARB figures. The are published a few weeks after the event, so w/c 19 June is the latest available.

No BT Sport data for 24 - 30 April

Sat 13 May - SGP (Warsaw): 10k - ironically the repeat on Sunday got 13k

Sat 27 May - SGP (Latvia): 17k

Sat 10 June - SGP (Prague): 47k

Monday 19 June - Speedway GB (British Final): 31k

Sat 24 June - SGP (Horsens): 29k

For comparison, MotoGP seems to get between 180k and 210k viewers.

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/weekly-top-10/

I've noticed that the British SGP is currently being advertised on BT Sport during the MotoGP coverage.

with all the issues the sport has and there are many , until the admission price ,the social side and the team aspect of the sport are addressed you will never tempt the armchair viewers to the sport , the lessons are there for us to learn in all sports , even in speedway but we just bury our heads in the sand and blame everybody and everything without looking at ourselves Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

In the 21st century it is surely a minimum requirement for a stadium to have some covered seating. Not everyone can or wants to stand in a field.

Personally I would have thought the minimum requirement for a stadium is a good racing track, some creature comforts in the way of good covered seats, facilities and decent toilets should also go hand in hand but very very few of the tracks I have been to don't even offer a decent race track and racing never mind seats and facilities etc.

• Like 1

Glad is isn't just me who isn't a fan of Suzy Perry. Bit too full of herself in my opinion but she seems widely popular and if her career is progressing, good luck to her. Natalie is great, as was / is Sophie Blake Nicholls before her, as is / was Julie Richardson (the late Lee's mum) but think she only did Reading club videos....