British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole V Belle Vue Bt Sports 26/6/17

You're half right, you get less every week. Poole capacity is 2,900 so if you get 2,200 then you're over 75% full, which is not the case.

Where on earth do you get that figure from SCB? The 'old' main grandstand has a H&S limit of 1200 (it holds more '1400', but H&S rules!!). plus the standing room at the front which can be 4 or 5 deep for the whole length of the home straight stand.

The 'newer' glass restaurant/bar stand with 3 levels can take approx 1000 (300 in the actual restaurant) and the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th bends can all take 6-8 deep at least.

The official declared attendance for the World Cup in 2004 was 7,131, of which 2,200 were in the temporary seating brought in especially.

Edited by Skidder1

You're half right, you get less every week. Poole capacity is 2,900 so if you get 2,200 then you're over 75% full, which is not the case.

Since when? Mark Loram won WC there was 7k, Tony Rickardsson won WC it was 6k, most playoffs until last few years were 4-5k. When World Cup was at Poole it was 5-6k.

Was it you doing the commentary? Going on about stumbling around and not looking comfortable. We only needed the word wobblers used and it would have given you away.

A pass is a pass I suppose.

The Poole v Leicester commentary was mine. Do my best to call it as I see it. Always happy to receive feedback, good or bad. Helps me improve. Think there were four or five heats from the meeting that would have made equally good viewing.

maybe a little unfair not to mention Sophie who also did a good job when sky

In my commentary days I had to work in several other sports than speedway and reached a level of proficiency in one where I was mistaken for a long-term supporter turned commentator instead of being in my first season.

You can go only so far though but there is no substitute for a deep-seated knowledge and love for the sport.

Since when? Mark Loram won WC there was 7k, Tony Rickardsson won WC it was 6k, most playoffs until last few years were 4-5k. When World Cup was at Poole it was 5-6k.

7K for the WC final lis, ignore know nothings..

7K for the WC final lis, ignore know nothings..

if we put you on ignore though Starry we'd miss the most hilarious postings on the BSF...
  • Like 1

The stadiums capacity was reduced to 5,500 people in 2008 due to safety reasons. That's on Poole Pirates Wikipedia page but then again Wikipedia had Brandon capacity wrong

Edited by woz01

A shade different to the halcyon speedway days of 1946 when I first started attending speedway. That season West Ham and Wembley had 80,000 plus gates. Even my then local club at New Cross, in a much smaller stadium, had attendances of around 15,000.

Edited by Guest

Someone told me on the isle of Wight last night, that they were stopping people taking their own food and drink in at poole. If this is true, why upset what few fans the sport has left. Not everyone wants to eat junk food.

Hi,

I will leave this here actually as I initially read it as we on the Isle of Wight were stopping people bringing in their own food and drink :) ha ha.. .sorry.

That is absolutely incorrect, as is the assumption we only sell junk food, who was it who told you this as is completely wrong. The only thing we ask is people put their rubbish in one of the many bins around, and if they want to bring a picnic they need to sit on the grass on bends 1 and 2.

Finally, we have, I suspect, the best value food outlet in speedway that has both fast and healthy options. Why is this the case, because we want a family of 4 to be able to come to the Warriors and get entry and a meal for less than £40 and in most cases this is absolutely possible.

Finally if there is ever a case of anyone being denied the ability to bring food in, then please report it to me, as they will not have been told it by our staff.

Many thanks,

Barry

Edited by barrybishop
  • Like 5

How very refreshing ( sincerely ) that a speedway Promoter is on the BSF as him / her self.

• Like 2

Any news on klindt riding monday night yet

I'd keep on his twitter account, he'll prob say if he's not riding.

Local paper says he has declared himself fit.

Where on earth do you get that figure from SCB? The 'old' main grandstand has a H&S limit of 1200 (it holds more '1400', but H&S rules!!). plus the standing room at the front which can be 4 or 5 deep for the whole length of the home straight stand.

The 'newer' glass restaurant/bar stand with 3 levels can take approx 1000 (300 in the actual restaurant) and the 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th bends can all take 6-8 deep at least.

The official declared attendance for the World Cup in 2004 was 7,131, of which 2,200 were in the temporary seating brought in especially.

Sorry, just checked and it's 3,900 and that was the amount at the 2010 play-off final according to your stadium manager.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/8437263.display/

So starman could be right, about 2000 would seem about right based on what I've seen on previous visits relative to that night.

Crowds of 5000 and 7000 are crap though!

Edited by SCB

It's not crap, i was there when Mark Loram came back as WC and it was definitely between 6-7k. You could hardly move around. Maybe that's why they changed the capacity!

• Like 1