There's only one possible No 1, so it's then working out the other four:

1. Ken McKinlay

2. Bobby Beaton

3. George Hunter

4. Tommy Miller

5. Gordon McGregor

All the best

Rob

I well remember Gordon McGregor riding for Belle Vue - he was tall (for a speedway rider) and an upright position on the bike.

Noted for his well trimmed moustache. Rode for BV in the sixties and I dont think he was young then.

Jimmy Tannock ,

Ken McKinaly ,

Bobby Beaton ,

George Hunter,

Jim McMillan ,

Doug / Willie Templeton

Kenny McKinna

Bert Hawkins

No Gordon McGregor! 'The Forgotten Man' of Scottish speedway it would appear. With respect - and I will not name them - I can see at least four riders who I would rate McGregor as better than.

Edited by Guest

That doesn't look like the same Jimmy Gallacher that rode at Coatbridge.

You could be right Paulco. My file does have a ? mark after the rider's name. It may well be another rider.

The face is familiar, without looking anything up,I think he was a Scandinavian

EDIT: Just had a dig around , - Bo Josefsson, 1967, '68 - ? t.b.c.

Edited by britmet

Belle Vue, Oxford, Doncaster, Glasgow, Leicester, and several others...

My five would be:

Ken McKinlay

Jim McMillan

Tommy Miller

George Hunter

Gordon McGregor

Steve

Thank you for that Steve. :t:

I have read through this Thread and realised I had forgotten the late Jimmy Tannock. :o

That doesn't look like the same Jimmy Gallacher that rode at Coatbridge.

He had let his hair grow by the time the Tigers moved to Cliftonhill . Just googled him , his career spanned from 69 till 77

It's Bo "The Bomb" Josefsson in conversation with Bernie Persson, probably 1967.

Jim Gallacher was a talent and could beat the best when he managed to get his bike going!

He first appeared in second halves at Coatbridge in 1969 when the Monarchs were the home side.

It always appeared Jim never had the finance to run decent equipment and this was imo, why he never became a top rider.

When he returned from Swindon to Tigers at Coatbridge, he was the "victim" of one of the worst homer refereeing decisions I have witnessed at Eastbourne by a Mr Gordon Little.

The rule at that time was you only got excluded for breaking the tapes, not for touching or delaying the start, and there was no replacement.

Neil Middleditch totally destroyed the tapes and Little excluded JG on the pretext that he had caused NM to break the tapes, which a) was not within the rules at that time, and b ) Jim had not moved from the grid, but had just crouched over his handlebars when Middleditch shot off!!

It's Bo "The Bomb" Josefsson in conversation with Bernie Persson, probably 1967.

You beat me to it...

Steve

Gotta get my two cents worth in on this one. No question that #1 is Ken Mckinlay #2 George Hunter, #3 Tommy Miller; #4 Jimmy McMillan #5 Doug Templeton/Gordon McGregor/Bert Harkins Ok that's more than 5 -so sue me!!! Great riders all..

Gotta get my two cents worth in on this one. No question that #1 is Ken Mckinlay #2 George Hunter, #3 Tommy Miller; #4 Jimmy McMillan #5 Doug Templeton/Gordon McGregor/Bert Harkins Ok that's more than 5 -so sue me!!! Great riders all..

Wish we had more than 5 these days ...............come to think of it , wish we had 1

That was my earliest memory of speedway , Bo and George Hunter demolishing the starting gate at the White City .

You beat me to it...

Steve

No, it was Post #34, 7 hrs earlier.

Edited by britmet

Have you all forgotten - Charlie Monk? :o;):D :D :P

Have you all forgotten - Charlie Monk? :o;):D :D :P

Erm , no , go back to post number 6

Erm , no , go back to post number 6

Ooops sorry - I forgot that. :oops::oops::oops:

/.

Try and keep up, people. :D

You can't stop senility. ;):D