British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

How Many Of Us Are Losing Interest.?

It was around about that part of the post I got bored and zoned out.

Please... Jim... people are trying to discuss serious things.

Can't you go and have your early afternoon nap or something? Not being horrible, but people don't want to read this.

Respect.... my friend.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

it will never be perfect no sport is but we are trying to sell a team sport while ignoring the basics of team sport, sorry to keep banging on about Poland but for all their issues and they have a few they sell a team sport to the fans and the fans back it in big numbers , there is no crossover until it comes to the national team , until this is addressed here we will never recover domestic speedway no matter what else we do , we all remember going away to support our team at a dump of a track and the racing was crap and we lost but it didn't matter cause it was our team with our riders and we had a blast , that's what we need to get back otherwise team speedway is pointless , on the point of having a go at promoting , what has happened to anyone who has come in with great vision and tried to change the sport ?

Fair play to Poland they have got it right.

But for you to as you say Bang on about how good it is in Poland and then state that the British league will never recover until we have full teams to support every week makes me cringe a little.

Because in my eyes Poland are playing a massive part in causing a lot of the problems that this thread is all about.

As I say fair play to them they are looking after their own league.But by doing this it has a knock on efect on the British league.

They restrict riders to 3 leagues(I heard 2 next season) stopping some riders riding in Britain.ie I herd that NKI and Kildemand wanted to ride here this season.

They insist on the Polish league has priority even for rearranged meetings that clash with arranged meetings in Britain.Which causes riders to miss meetings over here.

I believe because of a new tv deal are moving more and more meetings away from Sundays to other nights causing clashes and riders missing meetings here.

Then there is the money they can afford to pay the riders along with better pay in the Swedish league.Thisstops not just the top riders needing to riding in Britain as they can earn enough just riding overseas.

Now all the above is causing a lot of the problems in British speedway.

Less and less top riders wanting/need or allowed to ride over here.

Less and less quality overseas riders wanting/need to ride over here.

The need for more doubling up riders to replace the above missing riders.

The need to use young riders to early at reserve because of shortage of riders.

G Ps and big money meetings overseas causing riders to miss Fri/Sat night club meetings.MONEY MONEY MONEY.

Now from my point of view I look at the above problems our promoters have to face(and I know they make a good few of there own)and think that there is not a lot they can do to avoid most of the above problems.Unless they start throwing big money around and bankrupt most clubs within a few years.Thats where all the sky sports money went is it not on top riders pay.

This is why I keep standing by the sport I love and keep turning up every meeting the racing on the track is as good as ever.I don't like it but I try to understand why there are guests and doubling up shortage of quality riders(promoters trying to give fans of both leagues some quality riders to watch).

I have great hopes that next season that they can sort out 2 separate race nights for the Prem league this should sort out a lot of clashes (guests R/R etc)and giving both leagues some quality and may tempt perhaps not the top riders but a few quality overseas riders back. If they do this I will think that our promoters are at least trying to do something.We all have to realise that we are far from the top league we used to be and the quality is no where near what it was but if you love speedway racing we have to stand by our sport.Things are not great in Sweden so you never know with set nights in a few years riders may prefer to ride here instead of there but we have to keep it going for that to have a chance of happening.

Edited by B.V 72

As with all things, you have to change from the inside, slowly does it.

This year loads of promoters are trying really hard to promote, coming up with some great ideas, giving a real feelgood ambience around their club, all clubs should be doing it 100%.

but they are trying to promote a false product and the fans are not buying it , nobody said it was easy and it does take time but get the basics right first Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

Easy pleased then? Without strong and stable rules, a firm foundation, just how real do we know the racing is? We've all experienced races in which the leader suddenly drifts wide without reason, then is overtaken. Great racing or a more sinister reason?To allow a tactical ride for his team or deny one for the opposition. A sport that allows this to enter a fan's way of thinking has to ask itself why most - even its fans - think its a joker sport.

The fans who will accept anything will no doubt be glad that the X-Factor entertainment season is upon us.

Personally, I'd say you're easily pleased.

You don't care what the product is like as long as the rules are correct.

As far as I am concerned, that's bizarre.

Speedway fans go to speedway to watch the speedway. The rules and regulations will always be secondary to the quality of the product.

As with all things, you have to change from the inside, slowly does it.

This year loads of promoters are trying really hard to promote, coming up with some great ideas, giving a real feelgood ambience around their club, all clubs should be doing it 100%.

I certainly think that there is a change in attitude (albeit a limited one) from the get what you are given to giving you what you want. That's precisely where we need to go.

Its the Isle of Wight example that needs to be copied. How about this :

An elderly, disabled lady loves speedway but couldn't get to the track, so she used to listen to the sound of the bikes from her garden.

Barry Bishop heard about it, arranged a taxi for her and she now comes every week. Doesn't cost the club a penny, as the taxi and entry fee are sponsored.

Just how good is that ?

• Like 7

In amongst all the doom and gloom there are some bright spots. Teams are able to ride tracks other than their own far more than back in the sixties and seventies. I have seen some excellent meetings this year and last.

OK, I don't like guests but provided they are kept to a minimum I understand the reasons and prefer a team with guests who can make a close match rather than a meaningless thrashing due to a team being short of quality riders. But then I would prefer to watch my team get beaten by two points rather than win by thirty! You can put that down to having watched White City Rebels bore me every meeting in their last season when they won the league but the crowd vanished due to boredom.

I have booked my rail tickets for Isle of Wight on 21st September and just have to hope the visitors have at least half a team of their own!

If we want the sport to improve then the supporters have to SUPPORT it. If we stay away we are signing the death of the sport we claim to love.

EDIT for smelling pistakes! 😁😉

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 1

Personally, I'd say you're easily pleased.

You don't care what the product is like as long as the rules are correct.

As far as I am concerned, that's bizarre.

Speedway fans go to speedway to watch the speedway. The rules and regulations will always be secondary to the quality of the product.

Of course the racing is important, but without decent rules and the serious make up of teams, we may as well have individual competitions every week like grasstrack.

Racing and rules are equally as important. Are crowds dropping because of the quality of racing or because of the rules? Speedway Star hasn't asked about the racing, but has about the rules.

There's not an awful lot wrong with the rules and the racing for much of the time at NL level.

Would be better if Championship clubs/Premier clubs kept their noses out.

Rules are obviously very important to some people

I guess to some speedway rules are almost the most important thing there could be.I mean on the one side you have the catholic church and all the child abuse scandals and on the other side you have the double point rule in speedway.Now facing a choice what would most people make a stand against?

Yes,but we have someone who still attends church despite all these terrible actions by catholic church members,but decides the double point rule is the limit and won't attend a speedway meeting until it is dropped!!! A strange world indeed :o

Edited by iris123

You know, I don't go to speedway any more (not easy here in the United States), and while I am one of the older generation - remembering the great times of the 60's, 70's and 80's - I retain a keen interest and watch it when I can.

For me, it is about the entertainment, and the value for money. Yes, there are some strange rules (as there always have been), but I can live with those if I am getting pleasure from watching.

I don't like guests, but like many others on here, I feel that they are a necessary evil. Having said that, there should NEVER be a need for a guest for a non-heat-leader, and certainly no more than two guests in any team. I have no problem with allowing extra r/r rides, as they at least taken by members of "your" team.

I am fine with a limit on team averages, as long as the averages are realistic; you should never have to dump a long-time team member to stay within the limit, or worse still, see a rider forced out of a league because they are "too good", and nobody can fit them in.

Not all the possible solutions are easy to implement, but these two SHOULD be.

I was a lifelong Dons supporter, and it still hurts that they are gone. Like iris, I see little value putting a bunch of individuals together and calling them a "team" just to keep the name alive. As fanatical as I was about my team, I still loved travelling around as a neutral and taking in several meetings a week. Good racing and enthusiastic (and large) crowds were just as important to me as watching my team. Now, when I watch British speedway online, one - if not both - of those factors are missing. Like other forum members, I often prefer watching racing from Poland or Sweden, and that makes me sad.

I have said it before, and I will say it again; it is easy to complain about the cost of going to speedway, but I feel that "value for money" is far more important. Struggling to afford a night out is one thing, but struggling to afford a night out that fails to entertain is a bigger issue. It doesn't matter how cheap a product is if the quality is not there, which means that even if it were free, people wouldn't go - and therein lay the main problem.

Okay, I don't like double points OR playoffs, but they are not - and should not be - the deciding factors in whether or not people attend speedway. We should go to watch great racing, and when appropriate, support our teams. THAT is what speedway should be about.

Steve

• Like 2

There's not an awful lot wrong with the rules and the racing for much of the time at NL level.

Would be better if Championship clubs/Premier clubs kept their noses out.

...as long as the rules remain constant and not tinkered with as has often been the case in the past.

Recall John Louis commenting in an interview when Promoter/Team Manager on speedway's ever-changing rulebook.

...as long as the rules remain constant and not tinkered with as has often been the case in the past.

Recall John Louis commenting in an interview when Promoter/Team Manager on speedway's ever-changing rulebook.

At least the NL got rid of the joker; for that is what it is.

Edited by Richard Weston
  • Like 2

Rules are obviously very important to some people

I guess to some speedway rules are almost the most important thing there could be.I mean on the one side you have the catholic church and all the child abuse scandals and on the other side you have the double point rule in speedway.Now facing a choice what would most people make a stand against?

Yes,but we have someone who still attends church despite all these terrible actions by catholic church members,but decides the double point rule is the limit and won't attend a speedway meeting until it is dropped!!! A strange world indeed :o

You really can't resist your nastiness can you?

Apart from your bullying and trolling you really are quite a nasty piece of work aren't you.

I know you Posted the above to get a reaction - well - you got one.

It's a pity you can't get a life.

Anyway - continue your nastiness on your own. :)

Many apologies to the Forum Members who are taking part on this very interesting Thread. I will not allow this person to attack me. I will not start anything, but each time he does this I will come back to remind everyone just what kind of person he is - a bully and a Troll. I will not reply to any further comments from him unless he has another go.

Again - many apologies.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1