British Speedway Forum

On 12/19/2022 at 1:27 PM, Flitters said:

My copy is delivered by News team. No delivery on Thursday or Friday  so I phoned Dave in the office. He said he would  send them an email. 

I finally had a copy delivered on Saturday.....and a copy delivered  on Sunday.....and a copy delivered today.  Can't wait  to see what happens tomorrow!

Yesterday two identical copies were delivered. That makes five copies in two weeks.

Must be some kind of record.

16 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Yes.  Yes I do.  I subscribe to all my magazines and have them delivered to our door.  Should point out, speaking as I find, the stuff I've seen & done on t'net has been via fibre optic broadband, in and outside of Hull, still pretty random speeds....

I think you misunderstand me. I'm talking about investing in it as a business. not whether you buy it. No worries.

17 hours ago, The Dog said:

I've always loved a printed magazine, always good to look back on if you save them. I'm not a fan of the new pages for the images, always makes them look really poor and soft. A lot of the reports I don't read anymore because we find out via social media on the same day. I do find some of the articles interesting tho the Dan Bewley 2 page interview wasn't particularly in depth or revealing in any way, which was disappointing 

Yes, the paper quality has notably dropped too. You will see other areas of quality rescinding in due course. The market is shrinking and so too is the demand for the product as it is. Hence the cutting of overheads, rather than a rethink of the product. Which is madness really. Quite simply, there is no scenario where Speedway Star's business will pick up in its current model. So, change or die.

I have always admired some of the work of the folk behind the Star, particularly the work that goes into the foreign news and Peter Oakes' excellent pages. But that work badly needs redirecting to reflect a modern media platform and the demands of consumers. And that does not mean a Pdf of the pages. 

Edited by falcace

2 hours ago, falcace said:

I think you misunderstand me. I'm talking about investing in it as a business. not whether you buy it. No worries.

Yes, the paper quality has notably dropped too. You will see other areas of quality rescinding in due course. The market is shrinking and so too is the demand for the product as it is. Hence the cutting of overheads, rather than a rethink of the product. Which is madness really. Quite simply, there is no scenario where Speedway Star's business will pick up in its current model. So, change or die.

I have always admired some of the work of the folk behind the Star, particularly the work that goes into the foreign news and Peter Oakes' excellent pages. But that work badly needs redirecting to reflect a modern media platform and the demands of consumers. And that does not mean a Pdf of the pages. 

Ok, was supposed to be working, even though I'm at home.  But yeh agree with the above, no surprise we only have the one regular printed speedway publication, Big Shame the excellent Backtrack & Clasic Speedway ended, costs going up a ridiculous amount all the time.  I do what I can to support the Star, feel a bit guilty phoning but replacements for missing mags are sent asap by the very efficient Dave Fairbrother, mostly buy another copy from a shop, but none been in stock of late. Again, really hope the Star continues.....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

The SS is still a good read, full of very interesting articles and well produced, however sadly SS is a victim of the decline of speedway in the UK. The SS circulation numbers must have fallen off a cliff as the numbers of speedway spectators have plummeted. Just like the sport it supports SS must be becoming financially unsustainable.

• Like 1

Got onto Dave yesterday and he sent an online copy and got onto newsteam, my copy was waiting for me when I got up. So first blip off newsteam since they started delivering. Impressive that it was put right so quickly 

On 12/23/2022 at 10:19 PM, Speedtiger said:

The SS is still a good read, full of very interesting articles and well produced, however sadly SS is a victim of the decline of speedway in the UK. The SS circulation numbers must have fallen off a cliff as the numbers of speedway spectators have plummeted. Just like the sport it supports SS must be becoming financially unsustainable.

Agree it must be hard work to keep the speedway star in print, but several people I know still buy the speedway star and have not been to a meeting in the UK for  many years since their team folded

Last week ie Christmas week, I received w/e 10/12 on Monday 19th; w/e 17/12 on Wednesday 21st; and w/e 24th on Thursday 22nd curtesy of RM!!

If Dave is reading this site:

He sent three online copies last week which I was most grateful for!

Is it possible to change from the [paper copy for the rest of my subscription to electronic delivery?

If you do not read this, I will contact on Thursday before you close.

Regards,

Bernie

I am a US based subscriber - who looks forward to my weekly Star.  The UK postal disruptions have affected delivery to my Stateside address - and a local dispute here in our State also has had an effect. I had some October issues arrive in early December and a couple of issues never arrive, but the folks at the magazine have sent replacement copies without any questions. I have yet to see teh December 17th turn up - but given the Xmas rush and that the season is over, I am not too bothered, Yet.

I'm just on the Bolton side of the Bolton/Salford councils border, and today we've had our first mail delivery since 13th December - including FIVE editions of the Speedway Star!!

3 Dec; 10 Dec; 17 Dec; 24 Dec and 31 Dec. Plenty of reading to catch up on now.

• Confused 1

I received 24 Dec and 31 Dec copies today so all caught up.