British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, PotteringAround said:

p.s.  In the report they said that "Nationwide Doors Ltd" were willing to help rebuild the stadium, but a check of Companies House  shows "Nationwide Doors Ltd" as a dormant company in Lancashire, so I presume this is the wrong company?   Does anyone know who this company are that are willing to help rebuild?

The company is actually Nationwide Windows & Doors of Rugby - but as with several sections of the presentation, factual accuracy was not its strongest point.

Well done to all concerned at Coventry. So nice to hear some positivity.

• Like 1

Certainly good news but return of a functioning stadium  still long way off. The developers may call it a day and try to sell  but renovating the stadium to its former glory not exactly a attractive business   proposition . 

• Thanks 1

I found the meeting really interesting in the way it all progressed. Of course a massive well done to the committee for the thousands of hours that has ripped apart anything that Brandon estates has tried to put through. One of my thoughts just around a process like this that was suggested by the planning officer (twice in theory) yet the council unanimously threw it out so how does it get to both sides being so far apart? 
the details or actual facts obviously that supported our stance in it being a complete joke and any appeal will throw up the same facts vs fiction again. This before the trial in Rugby borough council vs Brandon Estates and this again will be interesting to see what they try and come up with to protest any innocence. The photographs and Jeff has supplied plenty of them only tell one thing, The land owners failed the local community, then the council and then decided to ignore them again so hopefully this will be yet another nail to really make Brandon Estates think enough is enough. 

I'm glad to hear the news,  but equally pleased to see so many keeping their feet on the ground, as bikes will not be roaring round Brandon anytime soon.

Quite simply,  there must be a compulsory purchase order placed on the site by Rugby Council, as Brandon Estates will unquestionably appeal the decision through the building inspector.  Any decision they make is absolutely final as far as I'm aware.

It's a well deserved reward for Jeff Davies and everyone involved with the campaign, but they've a long way to go yet.

I will say though having spoken to Jeff in the past that if anybody can get speedway back into Brandon,  it will be them.

3 hours ago, wealdstone said:

Certainly good news but return of a functioning stadium  still long way off. The developers may call it a day and try to sell  but renovating the stadium to its former glory not exactly a attractive business   proposition . 

it'll never go back to its former glory, there's no need - crowds will settle to the 1/2000 mark, there won't be 10000 there. Just need an oval, some cover and somewhere to pee

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ch958 said:

it'll never go back to its former glory, there's no need - crowds will settle to the 1/2000 mark, there won't be 10000 there. Just need an oval, some cover and somewhere to pee

Don't even need the latter - just hold it for a couple of hours...

31 minutes ago, chunky said:

Don't even need the latter - just hold it for a couple of hours...

64 mate can't do that! Maybe if the track needs watering....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, MattB said:

I'm glad to hear the news,  but equally pleased to see so many keeping their feet on the ground, as bikes will not be roaring round Brandon anytime soon.

Quite simply,  there must be a compulsory purchase order placed on the site by Rugby Council, as Brandon Estates will unquestionably appeal the decision through the building inspector.  Any decision they make is absolutely final as far as I'm aware.

It's a well deserved reward for Jeff Davies and everyone involved with the campaign, but they've a long way to go yet.

I will say though having spoken to Jeff in the past that if anybody can get speedway back into Brandon,  it will be them.

The chances of a CPO in this financial climate must be close to zero even if there were grounds, I've no idea if there are.

Has a local authority ever carried out a CPO on a derelict sports stadium?

Out of interest, has anyone who previously promoted the idea of behind-the-scenes corruption, "brown envelopes" or "money talks" eaten their words yet?

There was as much evidence of corruption on show last night as there was of Donald Trump's election having been "stolen" from him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Out of interest, has anyone who previously promoted the idea of behind-the-scenes corruption, "brown envelopes" or "money talks" eaten their words yet?

There was as much evidence of corruption on show last night as there was of Donald Trump's election having been "stolen" from him.

...I know that when I was in correspondence some ten plus years ago with the owners of Cowley Stadium  I happened to mention that they were allowing the stadium to fall into a state of dis-repair with a view of selling it off to a developer. The person I was in contact with seriously denied it but of course we found out later that was their intention until pressure was put upon them from various sources and thankfully the stadium was saved.

• Like 1

Buoyed by the good news regarding the failed planning proposal there was a great turn-out at the NSSC last night to see ex-Bee Martin Smolinski.

Very interesting talk about his recovery from the severe hip injuries and his future plans. He also pledged to compete in the Brandon re-opening meeting for no payment! :t:

The Save Coventry Stadium committee were roundly applauded for their efforts and vowed to challenge any potential appeal from Brandon Estates with as much vigour as they had in opposing the previous attempts to build housing on the land.

Nice emotional speech from Tony Gillias too.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, MattB said:

I beleive that a new application can be made. This happened in our village when the inspector turned down an application. A new application was made and approved because the Council were afraid of the expense of a further independant inspector being brought in.

This was also the case with Hall Green Stadium in Birmingham. The Planning Officer recommended approval of the developers plans to build houses on the site where the stadium had been located for over 90 years and was widely recognised as one of  the most profitable greyhound venues in the country. The Planning Committee voted 9-2 to refuse the application, but the Planning Officer resubmitted  the application himself at the next meeting only a month later, along with a warning that if it was refused again, the developers could go to appeal and "because the reasons for refusal were not strong enough" the City Council could be liable to pay the developers compensation for an "incorrect" decision.

Formal complaints to the City Council and to the Ombudsman were rejected on the grounds that the officer was within his entitlement to issue this warning.

• Sad 2

On 11/11/2022 at 6:14 PM, Brian Buck said:

This was also the case with Hall Green Stadium in Birmingham. The Planning Officer recommended approval of the developers plans to build houses on the site where the stadium had been located for over 90 years and was widely recognised as one of  the most profitable greyhound venues in the country. The Planning Committee voted 9-2 to refuse the application, but the Planning Officer resubmitted  the application himself at the next meeting only a month later, along with a warning that if it was refused again, the developers could go to appeal and "because the reasons for refusal were not strong enough" the City Council could be liable to pay the developers compensation for an "incorrect" decision.

Formal complaints to the City Council and to the Ombudsman were rejected on the grounds that the officer was within his entitlement to issue this warning.

If you listen to the reasons for refusal of the 'village' plans at Brandon I think they have reasons for refusal that won't change and planning permission should never be received on that site .......