British Speedway Forum

Warren hunter is the ex stock car person who indeed is not short of a bob or two.

David carter is part of the save Coventry speedway and stock car campaign group.

equally looking forward to Matt Ford speak I am sure he will have prepared and be ready to fight his corner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I think the chap(Mr Carter?) who is a Stox enthusiast and has a family of Stox drivers, was very positive about buying the stadium and renovating it in phases. His statement that he made 2 previous offers to purchase the stadium but didn't get any reply, was well made and surprisingly not challenged by BE!!.

He owns a multi-million packaging company (I can't recall the actual figures, but certainly £58m+ was mentioned), He would manage and run the stadium and would gladly work with Matt Ford on the promotion of Speedway - also unchallenged!  It'll be very interesting to hear Matts comments/evidence on Wednesday.

David Carter is a chartered town planner( and as naffer says member of stox).The gov inspector acknowledged this pointing out for fairness that they had never met before he gave his evidence.

If the Planning Inspector refuses the appeal does this mean that Speedway will return? Is it either Housing or Speedway?  Couldn’t THE owners sell the land to someone else who could use it for other purposes, I can’t see the owners ever sell to SCS, Hope I’m wrong 

10 minutes ago, Argos said:

If the Planning Inspector refuses the appeal does this mean that Speedway will return? Is it either Housing or Speedway?  Couldn’t THE owners sell the land to someone else who could use it for other purposes, I can’t see the owners ever sell to SCS, Hope I’m wrong 

No. The owners are not obliged to run speedway or lease the stadium to anyone who would. They could reinstate the stadium, but more likely is that they will submit a further application for housing possibly after a couple of years of further decay.

25 minutes ago, arnieg said:

No. The owners are not obliged to run speedway or lease the stadium to anyone who would. They could reinstate the stadium, but more likely is that they will submit a further application for housing possibly after a couple of years of further decay.

I've said for the last seven years that stopping BE building on Brandon will be the "easy" bit.  Getting it back of their hands is going to be the toughest task, given they appear to have no intention whatsoever of selling it.  

• Like 2

Having tried to understand who is who, working out who is counsel for which side, one thing remains a mystery to me - who is the Ricky Gervais "Derek" character representing? :unsure:

1 hour ago, kitten2502 said:

Having tried to understand who is who, working out who is counsel for which side, one thing remains a mystery to me - who is the Ricky Gervais "Derek" character representing? :unsure:

Coventry Council

• Thanks 1

Have they got the day off today?

• Like 1

I watched the Phil Morris & CVS section and have been following the rest on here.  I was surprised more was not made of the demographic - kids and Granddads, because 3G pitches or other 'leisure facilities' mentioned here and with Peterborough seem to cater for active participants, not spectators, young old and disabled.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Have they got the day off today?

Oh it's not just me then? What's going on?

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Oh it's not just me then? What's going on?

It looks like the 9 day inquiry is only an 8 day inquiry with half days on Fridays :D

• Haha 1

I note Helen Hockenhull was the planning inspector who in 2021 overturned Harrogate Council's decision to refuse permission for a drive-through Starbucks on Harrogate Road (local to me) then awarded full costs of the hearing against the local authority!

Edited by Piotr Pyszny

20 hours ago, arnieg said:

Given the state of the housing market, Brandon Estates is probably content to wait another two years or so.

Edited by Piotr Pyszny
  • Like 2