British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

Out of interest, do we know how much Brandon Estates paid for the land purchase many years ago?

Around 2.5 million

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Query re Brandon Stadium, just a thought: what condition is the back straight stand in ?  There's been lots of talk on needing to rebuild or at least refurbish the main, home straight stand, but don't recall the back straight stand being mentioned.  I mean if Coventry are able to resume at Brandon, I wonderded whether the back straight stand could be used, temporarily moving the startline to the other side.  Obv still long way to go but it's looking more positive, like I said was just a thought....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

The campaign group have used the term "coats for goalposts" in their vision for getting speedway back again .

on a YouTube clip after the recent enquiry victory Jeff Davies stated that the back straight stand would be refurbished along  the back straight terracing giving a 3,000 capacity.

A structural survey would be undertaken on the main grandstand to ascertain what's to be done with that .

Fingers crossed it happens 

yes I know for the doom and gloom merchants we don't own it they can land bank it etc

Up the bees

• Like 1

Ok thanks, interesting stuff, fingers still crossed....

Does anyone know if Be have appealed the decision?

On 3/1/2024 at 3:48 PM, naffer said:

The campaign group have used the term "coats for goalposts" in their vision for getting speedway back again .

on a YouTube clip after the recent enquiry victory Jeff Davies stated that the back straight stand would be refurbished along  the back straight terracing giving a 3,000 capacity.

A structural survey would be undertaken on the main grandstand to ascertain what's to be done with that .

Fingers crossed it happens 

yes I know for the doom and gloom merchants we don't own it they can land bank it etc

Up the bees

Think the speedway version is: 'a track in a field with a fence around it & a few Potakabins', bit like when Scunny first started up in 2005/2006.  Still, little acorns & all that....

7 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Think the speedway version is: 'a track in a field with a fence around it & a few Potakabins', bit like when Scunny first started up in 2005/2006.  Still, little acorns & all that....

A decent track with somewhere to watch the racing from, and somewhere to get the basic food and drink offering...

That is the starting point for me I would say...

Its not like die hard fans have been used to much "opulence" over the years which could dissuade many to not attend..

20 hours ago, Toady said:

Does anyone know if Be have appealed the decision?

I don't think they can, thought this was the final decision. I don't know if it applies to that specific planning application though... could they submit another one with a running track instead of a football pitch for example... or a Speedway stadium, now there's an idea!

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

I don't think they can, thought this was the final decision. I don't know if it applies to that specific planning application though... could they submit another one with a running track instead of a football pitch for example... or a Speedway stadium, now there's an idea!

correct they cannot appeal an appeal, but as you say they can simply put in another application, the planning process is heavily in favour of developers because they can as said put in another planning application and lose, appeal lose again, then just continue the process over and over, whereas if they win the appeal that's it get on with whatever it is they want to develop.

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

I was under the impression that they had six weeks to appeal on points of law relating to the inspectors decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toady said:

I was under the impression that they had six weeks to appeal on points of law relating to the inspectors decision.

They did & i think the 6 week period expired last Friday.

• Like 1

Could BE ask for an excessive rent for the hire and or only allow access during race day.

29 minutes ago, 1Tsunami said:

Could BE ask for an excessive rent for the hire and or only allow access during race day.

I guess as the owner they could do anything, but the costs  must be mounting up so it really depends how deep their pockets are.

• Like 1

I know at one time last year development land was changing hands for in excess of £1 million pounds per acre, how big is the Brandon site ?.

28 minutes ago, heathen52 said:

I know at one time last year development land was changing hands for in excess of £1 million pounds per acre, how big is the Brandon site ?.

its not development land if you can't get planning permission, reduces the value considerably