British Speedway Forum

22 hours ago, mikebv said:

Bradford was for me, similar to Coventry...

Two tracks with a shape that should have lent itself to great racing, but, for some reason, you often came away from both extremely underwhelmed...

Yet, on the odd occasion,  you got to see some cracking racing at both...

Just, not enough times...

85 overseas final and 90 World Final both had cracking racing, and 85 World Final wasn't too bad either.

But for league meetings, I preferred my visits to the Shay, and neither produced racing on a consistent basis to rival Hyde rd

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 4:57 PM, steve roberts said:

What I've seen on DVD (only went to Bradford once) it struck me that although the track was very wide and heavily banked much of it offered no advantage after the first two bends from the start? I'm happy to be corrected by those with a better knowledge of attending meetings at Odsal.

Wide yes, banked yes, though nowhere near as steep as the Shay.  Gundersen certainly made good use of the full width in 85!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

Wide yes, banked yes, though nowhere near as steep as the Shay.  Gundersen certainly made good use of the full width in 85!

...with little help from one of the Yanks which puzzled Sam Ermolenko in his autobiography!

Yes us oldies all remember Boston Barracudas! - A great vibrant Sunday evening out especially in the first 5-6 years after New Hammond Beck Road opened in 1970!

But why put it on this Odsal thread?!

• Like 1

There is a video on You Tube from the latest stock car meeting at Odsal in October.The crowd is very sparse,to the point that I don't see how it can pay its way.Could be trouble ahead for Odsal yet again.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:14 PM, Derrickn said:

Could be trouble ahead for Odsal yet again.

I think all forms of entertainment /hospitality are in for a rough time with the "belt tightening " people are going to have to exercise over the next year or so !

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:14 PM, Derrickn said:

There is a video on You Tube from the latest stock car meeting at Odsal in October.The crowd is very sparse,to the point that I don't see how it can pay its way.Could be trouble ahead for Odsal yet again.

The video was taken from the area where most of the crowd would be behind the person taking the video. The crowd that can be seen is probably around 20% of those present but I agree small crowds are a worry.

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The video was taken from the area where most of the crowd would be behind the person taking the video. The crowd that can be seen is probably around 20% of those present but I agree small crowds are a worry.

There are several videos of the meeting,taken from different points.There is practically no one on the big banking,and those in the stand are all to the back few rows.Sadly,Odsal is far too big for the crowds that attend,and that includes the rugby.It must be almost impossible to maintain an old venue of that size,and you have to fear for its future.

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

But don't stock car drivers pay to enter?

Some formulas do pay to enter but the BriSCA Formula One drivers are paid start money and prize money although at best the most successful driver in a meeting will be lucky to break even. The video shown above is of the BriSCA Formula One's.

On the 12th November, 2023, Bradford has an event listed as 'Grasstrack Demonstration'. Would this be Grasstrack as we understand it? :unsure:  

I think the 'grasstrack demonstration' almost certain to be NASA style car racing.

EDIT:- NASA - National Auto Sport Association 

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 1