British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

16 hours ago, frigbo said:

Terry has played an 'interesting' role in this throughout...

First time I have seen the word "Interesting "used as a euphemism

• Like 1

I was one of the ones who knew it would never happen and never believed a word of BS from Tomlinson or GI. But I wish I had been wrong. It's clearly the end of speedway in Swindon forever, we've been shafted by everyone. The thing annoying me the most now is the lies from the usual suspects after that 30.08.22 meeting and the complete silence from the club. At least have the nerve to front up now. If Gaming have shut down the dogs to force the speedway to close then say it how it is. Nothing to lose now by speaking the truth about them. Most of us knew it all along anyway.

SBC will now focus their attention on getting the Oasis dome de-listed so their partner can build some resi flats. Complete and utter scumbags.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orion said:

I think that post sums up how a lot of us are feeling today sid.

The betrayal, lies,and generally taking us all for mugs is the hurtful thing.If only   they would of just been honest with us from the start that is all most of us Budgie fans would expect.Memories of the Abbey so many of them to name the place was a huge part of generations of supporters.My number 1 favourite memory was Malc Wellie Holloway ( RIP) running into the flowerbeds in a junior jaunt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The betrayal, lies,and generally taking us all for mugs is the hurtful thing.If only   they would of just been honest with us from the start that is all most of us Budgie fans would expect.Memories of the Abbey so many of them to name the place was a huge part of generations of supporters.My number 1 favourite memory was Malc Wellie Holloway ( RIP) running into the flowerbeds in a junior jaunt.

The best years for me was seeing Leigh in action every week. He's probably my favourite sportsman of all time. We were so lucky to witness that class every week for years. Will always remember the 2012 title as it was the first for ages and always good to get one over Poole! I remember punch ups at Oxford when I was a kid! Punch ups at Eastbourne when I was a bit older! Crumpy going unbeaten for about 7-8 meetings in Div 2 one year. Personally, great memories of going with my grandparents and then taking my niece and nephew and my own boys eventually. Gutted to be honest. Got plenty of other things going on in life and we haven't had speedway for 3 years but this still feels like a massive loss.

• Like 1

Leigh Adams for me as well..I called him Mr Clean and the name stuck a bit..The safest rider I've ever seen nearly always in control..But what I am really liked is that thou he  was riding all over the world but come Thursday night him and his bikes were immaculate. .what a pro.

• Like 4

They say bs baffles brains, not in this case, we all knew once a new stadium was muted it was code for more houses, they were allowed right up to the pits, no buffer zone or green space between. Our so called mp and promoters have been a disgrace with their lies and silence, I would rather hear unpalatable truth than their bs. Anyway I still have my memories of hundreds of great nights at the Abbey, first started going as a kid in the 70's and after a hiatus having moved away started going again in middle 80's on. My mate who was Jimmy Nilsson's mechanic reigniting my interest. Leigh was also my favourite rider.

I fear for Speedway in this country, those in charge sleepwalking from season to season watching clubs fold, leagues down to six teams and interest waning.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

What’s happened to Alun Rossiter, he seems to have disappeared. I thought he would have been more vocal to be honest.

Bumped into him on Sunday last but one at Swindon Shuffle music event in Beehive pub....I didn't mention speedway didn't seem much point! He's around doing his thing pubwise etc 

Awful news, but I think most people knew it was coming...

• Like 1

The dogs will follow im pretty sure, shame for all , as a neutral i attended oxford fri night (working at the dogs) and i must admit it was in very good nick. that looks the only hope for the thames valley now .

1 minute ago, ruckerroo said:

The dogs will follow im pretty sure, shame for all , as a neutral i attended oxford fri night (working at the dogs) and i must admit it was in very good nick. that looks the only hope for the thames valley now .

I went to a few Oxford meetings this season and was very impressed with the set up after so long out. I don't know much about the history during the closure and how it came back but they seemed to have a council who always backed the return of sport rather than housing which is something Swindon never had. The stadium owner seems to be a man who will get things done as well. Fair play to Oxford and will look forward to visiting next season if I retain any interest in the sport.

• Like 1

Condolences to you all.

• Like 1

The worst thing is that those of us that have questioned GI's motives and expressed concern across the past ten years or so over whether the stadium would ever be built were just badmouthed and cussed out by other fans and parts of the management for being 'negative'

Sadly, the chickens have now come home to roost.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

I went to a few Oxford meetings this season and was very impressed with the set up after so long out. I don't know much about the history during the closure and how it came back but they seemed to have a council who always backed the return of sport rather than housing which is something Swindon never had. The stadium owner seems to be a man who will get things done as well. Fair play to Oxford and will look forward to visiting next season if I retain any interest in the sport.

You should, Oxford's return has been (largely) a roaring sucess and my transition to Cheetahs fan is going smoothly.

Although I'm sure for both of us we'll always be  Racer/Robin at heart.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, arnieg said:

You should, Oxford's return has been (largely) a roaring sucess and my transition to Cheetahs fan is going smoothly.

Although I'm sure for both of us we'll always be  Racer/Robin at heart.

I could never support an Oxford team in any sport but I do hope the success story carries on for years to come!. Too many teams being lost and not enough coming back. Dread to think how it will look in 5 years time.

• Like 2

I used to live in Shrivenham so would go to a lot of Oxford meetings on fridays and bank holidays, just to get my fix, glad to hear they are back and it's a success.