British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

6 minutes ago, Grachan said:

To be honest, I expect that if you hadn't posted it then it still wouldn't have made its way into the public domain. Because you put that here, they had no choice but to announce it.

I'm assuming that the snippet that you posted was from 30 August judging by the numbers at the top. That's a week before they started moving the crates out of the car park and saying that reports of the end of Greyhound Racing at the Abbey were not true.

Once you made that post and people became aware of it, they had to make the announcement. It's quite shocking that we had to hear it from you rather than anyone involved with speedway - either the club or the BSPA.

Why is it shocking ? How long have you been around speedway ? The bspl and it’s members dont give a damn about fans, the sport in this country is where it is because of crap like this, fans are the be all of the sport and are treated like dog dirt, the way the Swindon fans have been treated since they closed is disgusting 

• Like 3

Sad day for all the Swindon fans after being strung along for years & I’m afraid I don’t see the robins returning elsewhere now.

Really worrying times for British Speedway with Edinburgh gone also & a few more clubs on life support for 2023. 

5 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Why is it shocking ? How long have you been around speedway ? The bspl and it’s members dont give a damn about fans, the sport in this country is where it is because of crap like this, fans are the be all of the sport and are treated like dog dirt, the way the Swindon fans have been treated since they closed is disgusting 

Probably shocking because I came on here as a representative from the anti greyhound racing campaign asking to work with the speedway team to get the stadium redeveloped without the greyhound racing. I am not involved with the speedway campaign at all. I was told to sling my hook pretty much. So I can understand why someone is surprised that it came from me rather than someone involved with speedway. 

Edited by JessicaJones

• Like 1

Along with many others on here it felt inevitable for years. Still a sad day though! Started going there at 18months old before Newport opened and met some brilliant people that I’ll probably never see again! 

Thursday nights under the lights will be a cherished memory. Glad I got to go back with my old man and brother before it went as we’d never all been at the same time. 

Don’t forget Eastvile (Bristol Bulldogs) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42958113 when it was sold to Ikea!

Plus Poole who come under the Stadia UK banner! https://www.poolestadium.co.uk/

How long will it be before Poole will have to miss a season whilst the Stadium is being developed only to never return.

Edited by a4poster
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, frigbo said:

My guess is that that’s for purposes of defending themselves against the breach of planning condition that stipulated they couldn’t build another house until the stadium was refurbished (I was at that council meeting). I wouldn’t believe a word Clark Osborne says (sorry). They’ll come up with some reason why they couldn’t rebuild the Abbey Stadium and will claim to be trying to find another site. Don’t hold your breath. 

6 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Reading - F all !!!!

Unfortunately, there are still quite a few like that - and it REALLY doesn't make sense...

Edited by chunky

Rosco Kilby involved in this company..its like a Monty Python sketch 

Another sad day for British Speedway and another iconic stadium closed. Condolences to all Swindon fans.

I feel the only way forward for the sport and clubs in this country is to build their own facilities. Let’s hope Swindon can find some land soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, a4poster said:

Don’t forget Eastvile (Bristol Bulldogs) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42958113 when it was sold to Ikea!

Plus Poole who come under the Stadia UK banner! https://www.poolestadium.co.uk/

How long will it be before Poole will have to miss a season whilst the Stadium is being developed only to never return.

The Poole situation is a little different in that Poole Stadium and surrounding car/lorry park is owned by BCP Council.

GI lease the stadium and Poole Speedway rent the facility from them.

Anyone involved in Speedway knows that Osbourne and his company have no interest whatsoever in building a stadium for Speedway or for anything else. So in my eyes the fact that TR is claiming to be be doing just that with them proves it is purely lip service. An insult to any fan of any club that has ever suffered at Osbourne's hands.

A few years ago I was contacted by a Torquay United fan who was worried about GI's promises of a new out of town stadium, as he had seen their track record. I told him the most important thing their fan club could do was to convince the council not to be fooled by Osbourne's lies. The fact that these councils continue to do so absolutely astounds me. Do they never research who they are dealing with?

I guess the truth is they no more honourable than he is.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The Poole situation is a little different in that Poole Stadium and surrounding car/lorry park is owned by BCP Council.

I don't believe a Poole fan will sleep any easier than a Swindon fan tonight. The GI cancer is always close to the surface.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Reading was the same as Poole. But same end result as Swindon. Nobody is safe when they're involved.

• Like 3