British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

8 hours ago, Tric trac said:

We could have indoor speedway at the oasis!

Or the cycle speedway track if still there!

10 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

Yeah that limited time with Ward in the team was unreal. What a rider he was and he definitely got the crowds in. Doyley will always be a Robins legend after leading us to 2 titles as captain. The last year at the reshaped track was probably the best I can remember racing wise as well. 

Like yourself and others to see Leigh everyweek was magical i can remember Leigh beating Jason 2.1 in a Belle Vue encounter.The skill the trust of those two were amazing and Leigh has to rank up there with Jessup, Sigalos, Warren, Carter, as being  good anough to be a world champion.As for Darcy what a brucie bonus that was, was so excited to see him ride an amazing talent and for me personally ranks alongside Lee, Gollob as the most naturally talented riders i have seen.

• Like 2

Quote from Swindon's MP on Twitter:

"I've spent years trying to save the stadium. Nothing has changed, SBC will not allow housing (where GI make money) to proceed until the stadium is completed. If GI can't make it work (because of the loss of greyhounds) they need to try and sell the stadium to someone who can."

It will be interesting to see if and when building on the hideously named "Robins Gardens" actually starts.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

"I've spent years trying to save the stadium. Nothing has changed, SBC will not allow housing (where GI make money) to proceed until the stadium is completed. If GI can't make it work (because of the loss of greyhounds) they need to try and sell the stadium to someone who can."

It will be interesting to see if and when building on the hideously named "Robins Gardens" actually starts.

I see the new buy a home at Robins Gardens sign has mysteriously been damaged...what a shame:D

Shoddy way to treat the loyal Robins fans, fantastic supporters. Although the numbers were shrinking over time, and it was becoming financially unviable. Sometimes only around 1000 paying fans in there. So different to 60s, 70s, 80s crowds. But a huge thanks to all the peeps that have put in loads of hard work over the 70 years of speedway at the Abbey to keep us entertained, mainly unpaid volunteers.

We just hope for an Oxford style comeback.

Edited by auntie doris

12 hours ago, thecoombdog said:

How am I taking anything out on you? You wanted the dogs gone at Swindon and it has. You were told no dogs meant no speedway and that was correct. Your post yesterday has totally forced their hand today which is appreciated as f*ck knows how long the lies would have gone on for. You have got what you campaigned for. 

The dogs have not gone yet. We won’t be celebrating until the greyhound racing actually stops for good. The rumours that the track is closing are just that-rumours. 
This was never about winning or losing for our group and the Robins fans and I’m sorry that it has been framed that way by some of you on here. About 3 years ago I approached the philanthropist who was working with SBC to redevelop the town centre asking if he would help with the speedway track. He phoned me the day he got my letter and suggested that GI paid for another site away from the Abbey for speedway - win/win for them and the speedway team because he could see then what GI were aiming to do. He said he would raise it at his next meeting with the council. I mentioned it on here but very vaguely about 3 years ago as he asked me to keep the details confidential but I think enough time has gone by for me to mention my conversation with him. A few months after that, the pandemic hit and the council would have put all non urgent work on the back burner. So yes, GI’s plan has been clear from the outset but I have tried to help where I can because I could see that we could have worked together well and both groups would get what we wanted. 

Our group also did a petition to the council, which was one of the petitions that got the most signatures ever, asking them to work with GI to redevelop the stadium without the greyhound track and giving them ideas as to what else it could be used for to make it economically viable. To help with the debate that should have come from the petition, I spent the first lockdown working on a long report which detailed GI’s history and the economic case for not relying on greyhound racing and which set out other ways in which the speedway team could be viable without it. We printed it out at great expense and posted it to all 56 councillors. Only two even bothered to acknowledge that they had received the report and the council refused to hold the debate saying that they couldn’t influence what the stadium was used for, which I find hard to believe. Someone suggested doing the latter a few weeks ago and we had already done this in 2020. I have been very unimpressed with the councillors at SBC I came across through all of this and think they - and the council officers - could have sorted this situation out a long time ago if they’d had the will or the ability. 

Edited by JessicaJones
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The club is dead so all we can hope for now is that SBC keep refusing a change to the planning permission and the site just sits there empty earning GI and others absolutely nothing. No doubt Swindon Motorsports has been set up  so they can say they need the funds from the housing development to build a new stadium and people will believe it again and the houses will get done with no sign of a stadium. It's all too predictable.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JessicaJones said:

The dogs have not gone yet. We won’t be celebrating until the greyhound racing actually stops for good. The rumours that the track is closing are just that-rumours. 
This was never about winning or losing for our group and the Robins fans and I’m sorry that it has been framed that way by some of you on here. About 3 years ago I approached the philanthropist who was working with SBC to redevelop the town centre asking if he would help with the speedway track. He phoned me the day he got my letter and suggested that GI paid for another site away from the Abbey for speedway - win/win for them and the speedway team because he could see then what GI were aiming to do. He said he would raise it at his next meeting with the council. I mentioned it on here but very vaguely about 3 years ago as he asked me to keep the details confidential but I think enough time has gone by for me to mention my conversation with him. A few months after that, the pandemic hit and the council would have put all non urgent work on the back burner. So yes, GI’s plan has been clear from the outset but I have tried to help where I can because I could see that we could have worked together well and both groups get what we wanted. 

Its pretty clear the decision was made a while ago to close the dogs, probably to force the speedway out. And Gaming would never build a new stadium no matter who is involved. The moment I saw Swindon Motorsports had 2 Gaming people involved I knew it was a joke. The final insult in it all. 

Just now, thecoombdog said:

Its pretty clear the decision was made a while ago to close the dogs, probably to force the speedway out. And Gaming would never build a new stadium no matter who is involved. The moment I saw Swindon Motorsports had 2 Gaming people involved I knew it was a joke. The final insult in it all. 

You might be right but I thought, if they were going to do that, they would shut it during the pandemic as they did with Poole. They had the perfect excuse then. Instead we are 18 months on and the greyhound racing is still going on. 

16 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Such sad news to lose Swindon, great local Derby’s in the past and always made the trip up. Massive loss to the sport! With my Poole hat on - Gaming International playing games again, will this be Poole in 12 months time? 
Hope Swindon find a new home and fast. 

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. 

Tbf to Lee @orion he was almost crying on BSN last night talking about it. 

23 minutes ago, JessicaJones said:

You might be right but I thought, if they were going to do that, they would shut it during the pandemic as they did with Poole. They had the perfect excuse then. Instead we are 18 months on and the greyhound racing is still going on. 

I saw something on twitter saying the closure will be announced today so let's see if anything happens. It's almost like a long term plan is finally coming together .......

18 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. 

Tbf to Lee @orion he was almost crying on BSN last night talking about it. 

You can cry all like about it .But the bottom line he still associated with Osbourne Clark  in this new company .The guy who has just closed the club down .Actions speak louder than words .

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

I see the new buy a home at Robins Gardens sign has mysteriously been damaged...what a shame:D

Shoddy way to treat the loyal Robins fans, fantastic supporters. Although the numbers were shrinking over time, and it was becoming financially unviable. Sometimes only around 1000 paying fans in there. So different to 60s, 70s, 80s.But a huge thanks to all the peeps that have put in loads of hard work over the 70 years of speedway at the Abbey to keep us entertained, mainly unpaid volunteers.

We just hope for an Oxford style comeback.

Sorry I don't understand why it was financially unviable. Swindon were still getting some of the biggest crowds in the uk and after 3 years away I expect  they would have been bigger for a while..Yet again no detail on why from anyone.

15 minutes ago, orion said:

You can cry all like about it .But the bottom line he still associated with Osbourne Clark  in this new company .The guy who has just closed the club down .Actions speak louder than words .

Maybe?

Keep your friends close..

But your enemies closer...

It is though quite disgraceful the way the Swindon fans only found out about this was by a third party being a third party, in a (I presume private), communication release...

I have always been surprised at the lack of an orchestrated protest group, (which should have come from the top for most gravitas), so maybe as we learn more of what has gone on with those now involved in the "new company", it may become clearer as to why no "major campaign" was forthcoming.. 

If the MP has made it clear no more houses can be built until the new stadium is built then the ONLY question needs asking is "WHEN WILL THIS HAPPEN?"...

And to keep asking it daily until someone comes up with the answer..

And it doesnt have to be the old Swindon promotion who use it I presume? 

Bulld the stadium and then see who wants to promote there...

The issue isnt whether the stadium is viable or not. The issue is it needs to be built to comply with the permissions granted...

Non Negotiable that...

If no takers after two years then knock it down and build housing on it...

3 minutes ago, orion said:

Sorry I don't understand why it was financially unviable. Swindon were still getting some of the biggest crowds in the uk and after 3 years away I expect  they would have been bigger for a while..Yet again no detail on why from anyone.

Have you seen GI’s accounts for the last ten years? Only profits have been from selling off land. 

15 hours ago, JessicaJones said:

Speedway teams relying on greyhound racing have no future. Far better for speedway to decouple from greyhound racing especially as Dogs Trust, the RSPCA and the Blue Cross did a joint press release yesterday calling for a nationwide ban on greyhound racing within five years. (This has been some time coming.)

I found the snippet from the minutes of the BSPA meeting in the Twitter feed of a greyhound trainer in Ireland. I was surprised the news hadn’t made its way into the public domain already. 

I hope the speedway team manages to find another venue although I saw above that the company mentioned in the press release had only been set up today and it has Clark Osborne as a director. If that‘s true, then I don’t hold out much hope for it as anything that Osborne is involved with turns to houses. He is a director of tens of companies and most of them seem to be dormant. 

Perhaps the fans need to take control and approach the council for help? It was the council who stipulated that the site couldn’t be redeveloped until the stadium was refurbished and they have not held GI to this condition. 

The Dogs Trust press release is here:

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/how-we-help/the-future/cut-the-chase

Pleaae do not (metaphorically) throw rotten veg at me. Our group always supported the speedway team but not the greyhound racing. 

Speedway as a whole, across the UK, has no future. 

While I understand the anger towards GI, Osborne etc, absolutely massive, huuuuuge responsibility is on the BSP(A)L for their total lack of awareness, laziness, & self serving, in not pushing this sport in the right direction at the turn of the century. 

No sport can survive when it's reliant on others 

• Like 1