British Speedway Forum
Crazy robin

Swindon Robins 2020

16 hours ago, Deano said:

let me take your car away, help me look for another one once I’ve crushed your current one.

its f’ing ridiculous.

But you have to park the new one 45 minutes away from where you live..:D

• Haha 1

They should be made to build the track and stadium at the Abbey site as that is the stipulation legally bound as part of the planning permission..

It doesnt even matter if it is viable or not to run Speedway there, as that is irrelevant as part of any planning permission requirements...

And surely a track "up to 45 mins away" has to have less chance of being "viable" than a brand new one on the very site where Speedway has ran for decades?

Absolutely no guarantee that this track "somewhere else" will be viable so what is there to lose by "staying put"?..

Surely someone is asking these questions within some kind of organised fans' pressure group?

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

They should be made to build the track and stadium at the Abbey site as that is the stipulation legally bound as part of the planning permission..

It doesnt even matter if it is viable or not to run Speedway there, as that is irrelevant as part of any planning permission requirements...

And surely a track "up to 45 mins away" has to have less chance of being "viable" than a brand new one on the very site where Speedway has ran for decades?

Absolutely no guarantee that this track "somewhere else" will be viable so what is there to lose by "staying put"?..

Surely someone is asking these questions within some kind of organised fans' pressure group?

However 'supportive' the local MP is/has been, surely if there is no supporters group actively campaigning for speedway at the Abbey, then one can see that support diminish very quickly.

What happened to those banner wavers that turned up at Blunsdon to protest some weeks ago?

6 hours ago, mikebv said:

Maybe Osbourne knows he has to build a track, so why not build one miles out of town, that will tick all the boxes!  Then he has the present site to build more houses & pocket more ££££'s. Meanwhile making sure Osbourne PLC. hold the freehold to the new site as another longer term money earner. 

I'm sure "Ba____ds" like Osbourne are 2 or 3 steps ahead of the rest of us including the local council!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

Maybe Osbourne knows he has to build a track, so why not build one miles out of town, that will tick all the boxes!  Then he has the present site to build more houses & pocket more ££££'s. Meanwhile making sure Osbourne PLC. hold the freehold to the new site as another longer term money earner. 

I'm sure "Ba____ds" like Osbourne are 2 or 3 steps ahead of the rest of us including the local council!

I doubt he will build a track/stadium within 45m of Swindon, more likely he will try to appeal the planning condition that says the stadium must be built. In 5, 10, 15 years down the line he will claim that speedway is no longer a viable sport in or around Swindon and therefore there is no longer a need for a speedway stadium. Whether the council will have much fight in them in 5, 10, 15 years time, I have my doubts. Terry Russel has taken the money(just like he took loads of money out the sport for brokering a tv deal), he has been lying for a long time and is just as bigger a crook as Osbourne.

• Like 2

Terry Russell financed the remodelled Track at the abbey stadium and funded the robins successful teams over several years

so credit where credits due he just got fed up with the lies from osbourne and cashed in his stake.

1 hour ago, Toady said:

Terry Russell financed the remodelled Track at the abbey stadium and funded the robins successful teams over several years

so credit where credits due he just got fed up with the lies from osbourne and cashed in his stake.

Why didn't he try to sell/hand over the club and let somebody else take up the fight? He has taken a back hander to be Osbourne's spokesman, repeating the required line 'speedway is unviable'. Why would it be anymore viable 45m out of town?

Terry may have played a big part in Swindon's recent success but Swindon' has a long history he has also played a massive part in its downfall.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, eric i said:

Why didn't he try to sell/hand over the club and let somebody else take up the fight? He has taken a back hander to be Osbourne's spokesman, repeating the required line 'speedway is unviable'. Why would it be anymore viable 45m out of town?

Terry may have played a big part in Swindon's recent success but Swindon' has a long history he has also played a massive part in its downfall.

...there's that name Osbourne again. Those at Oxford have long memories!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toady said:

He’s that fed up with the lies, he goes into business with him again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, eric i said:

Oh come on this drivel has been spouted for months now everyone knows that it was all lies and unless fans get together to fight and insist that planning conditions are met then that’s it everyone knows the ultimate outcome

11 hours ago, Deano said:

He’s that fed up with the lies, he goes into business with him again. 

Yeh right you believe what you want

12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...there's that name Osbourne again. Those at Oxford have long memories!

And Reading

• Like 2

14 hours ago, eric i said:

How do you know he didn't?  I'm sure there must be loads of past, present and wannabe promoters just itching to take over a club with GI as their landlords?!!!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

How do you know he didn't?  I'm sure there must be loads of past, present and wannabe promoters just itching to take over a club with GI as their landlords?!!!

If he tried to sell the club why didn't he advertise? 

Not a cat in hells chance that speedway will continue at the Abbey and even less likely a new stadium will be built. Its a crying shame but I don't see enough desire from anyone to force the issue and the likes of Osbourne and Russell will do alright out of it all despite their bluster that they are on speedways side