British Speedway Forum
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2023

1 hour ago, Mr Blobby said:

Agreed would be interested to know how a commonwealth rider who has a championship average of 4.00 joins the NDL on a 4.50. Considering I know there’s another commonwealth rider who average is basically double.

Sure he done a nl level meeting mayb a individual at Mildenhall and didn't score, better younger brits about don't think he will average 5 

Always amazes me when clubs say they may not be able to afford to run next year and then a few weeks later are building a potentially title winning side :rolleyes: great that they are coming to the tapes though of course.

Also not their fault but Congreve's average is farcical! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Tbf Baggy. Without that sponsorship that's happened in the last few weeks we 100% wouldn't have been running this season 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Always amazes me when clubs say they may not be able to afford to run next year and then a few weeks later are building a potentially title winning side :rolleyes: great that they are coming to the tapes though of course.

Completely agree with all the comments here. Definitely looks like a line up that should get numbers through the turnstiles though. Only went to Mildenhall once this year due to the issues previously mentioned but this team will make me give it another go in the upcoming season. Just hope they get it right because people will return if that’s the case.

1 hour ago, enotian said:

Doesn't he have an ACU licence though. He represented Great Britain in some pointless (as most of his meetings were) FIM meeting. I think he was only a 4 in the CL so the Diamonds appeared somewhere close to the points limit.

Effectively he's not a commonwealth rider if that's the case. As he hasn't ridden in any official fixtures he should be assessed the same as any other new ACU licensed rider in the NL.

In true speedway regulation fashion they've done neither of the two plausible options and gome up with a compromise.

58 minutes ago, RoundTheBoards said:

That theory doesn't hold water.  He was assessed on 4.00 for Championship.  So he should be 8.00 in NDL.   

If he had British credentials he'd have started on 2.00 in the Championship like Connor Bailey did at Glasgow.

As RoundTheBoards says, if he's allowed to represent GB should be a 2.00 Champ or 3.00 NL rider, not sure how he gets a 4.50 average?

4 good riders so far. Well chuffed for George as well. Yes he had a tough start to UK speedway but he was showing signs of improvements before we went under.  Hopefully he has good machinery with him this year, because if he does, Im confident he will be a steal on 4.5 avge

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Speedway28 said:

Completely agree with all the comments here. Definitely looks like a line up that should get numbers through the turnstiles though. Only went to Mildenhall once this year due to the issues previously mentioned but this team will make me give it another go in the upcoming season. Just hope they get it right because people will return if that’s the case.

I've not been for years but I'll definitely go this year if the track is sorted. Few better places for a speedway fan on a nice Sunday afternoon. 

It doesn't mater where anyone was born or just where they come from. We have just seen a football World Cup with over half the players not playing for their country of birth but, the one that paid them to. Speedway is getting off lightly in this respect. 

13 hours ago, mc131 said:

Sure he done a nl level meeting mayb a individual at Mildenhall and didn't score, better younger brits about don't think he will average 5 

In fairness it was the Danny Ayres meeting where he got 1. By comparison Morley scored 2 and Hook got 3 and the podium was made up of Lawson, King and Heeps. As ive said previously im glad Congreve has got a NDL chance but its going to feel a lot worse if riders on comparable signing averages like Hodder, Simpson, Butcher and even Bebee miss out because of a dubious loophole that has been slammed shut previously.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

That theory doesn't hold water.  He was assessed on 4.00 for Championship.  So he should be 8.00 in NDL.   

If he had British credentials he'd have started on 2.00 in the Championship like Connor Bailey did at Glasow.

What he was or wasn't last season is entirely irrelevant. By virtue of the Diamonds expulsion he effectively didn't exist last season.

There was a lot of misinformation from the Diamonds promotion so who really knows but my understanding was that the Diamonds promotion didn't have a licence to employ work permit riders but could sign Congreve because he was able to take out an ACU licence. Not sure on what basis.  There was plenty of content about it on the Diamonds 2022 thread at the time with most expecting his to be an assessed 2.00 as a result. The fact that he ended up being an assessed 4.00 didn't really matter as the Diamonds were incredibly under strength anyway. As I stated before it probably made the Diamonds line up look more acceptable than it ever was in practice. I think the key point is he couldn't have been a foreign rider because the Diamonds promotion didn't have the appropriate sponsors licence to employ such a rider.

There really is no point in trying to make sense of any of this.  The fact that he appears to have been given an assessed NL average which doesn't fit any known criteria tells you everything you need to know.  It's all just made up to suit.

• Like 6

I'm pleased for Congreve he was well out of his depth in the championship, no idea how he has his current average but personally I can see him putting a couple of points on it. 

The league looks fairly strong which is good. 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 9:37 PM, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure the Club were on the knife edge financially, but thanks to the brilliant support, both physical and financial in the last couple of weeks from supporters, its swung the balance before we lose another Club. I for one will be making every effort to get to as many meetings there this year and I'm sure the Management have taken on board the many negative comments about the length of time meetings take etc and will be making every effort to rectify that. Lets all get behind the Club, and if you haven't been to West Row for a while, then dust down those programme boards and enjoy a Sunday afternoon watching the sport we all love.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 7:56 PM, phillwhitewasmad said:

Thing is you probably care more about British riders been without a ride than the management committee do. I like you have no issues with commonwealth riders taking part but on a 4.5 average is just ridiculous 

Here’s some clarification, the rules are as follows. Max of 1 commonwealth rider permitted per team.  New riders with British family / ancestry come in on 4.50, those without British connections and coming over for a first season will be on 9.00.

George has British grandparents and therefore qualifies for 4.50, he is classed as a new rider this year as all records of Newcastle Diamonds were expunged meaning his rides for Newcastle in 2022 don’t count towards anything. (As is the case for every other Newcastle rider last year) 

Excellent read in the Speedway Star and wish everyone there the very best of luck. 

Most encouraging too to read that they will try to schedule when possible on Sundays when there HASN'T been Stocks the night before. 

That could mean a massive improvement to the Track. 

• Like 1